Prospect Info: Rasmus Kumpulainen, C, 53rd Overall, 2023 NHL Draft

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Rasmus Kumpulainen

Kumpulainen is partly made in the mould of a typical big-bodied two-way centre, but there’s also more skill than might initially meet the eye. Especially for a player his size, he’s got a deft touch and large handling radius. He facilitates his linemates rather well by protecting pucks along the boards and taking them to the inside while also providing a solid off-puck scoring threat. There’s also the defensive value he provides by being engaged and physical when necessary.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Don’t really watch Liiga, so sadly no.
sad-youmakemesad.gif

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I just read about him and watched him play a little. My thoughts are that he's big, strong, and has a good stick. I purposely tried looking at what others have said his flaws are, skating and IQ.

Lots of his shifts are him roving around and getting in lanes, so it was hard to find moments where I could really judge his skating. He did find himself on a 2-on-1 where he was the one carrying the puck out of his defensive zone and into the offensive zone. While I'd have liked him to be a step faster, his skating didn't look so awful I think it'll completely prevent him from being a good pro. Nor does it look so janky that I think he can't get faster if he puts in the work to. I have no opinion of his edge work, yet. It wasn't noticeable either way.
His IQ on defense looked fine, he gets in lanes, ties the puck up on the boards well, and frees up the puck for his defenders to break out. Basically, he knows where to be defensively and gets there on time. Offensive IQ looked mediocre. I don't think he'll be a big point producer, but he is strong and has decent hands. Might be able to crash and bang around the net and pick up 20 goals per year?

Please keep in mind, this was one viewing, and fairly short at that.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN

A shift by shift, no audio. I like what I see, there is very obvious potential there and a nice physical package. Looks to me like a big body that would benefit greatly from professional hockey development training. Not afraid to try creative plays and experiment, but hands aren't quite as soft as they need to be for his attempts yet. Skating is very workable, room to improve with strength and instruction but not majorly flawed, good speed bursts and generally solid on his edges. Made a few Boldy like attempts in the O zone that he fumbled the puck on, but love the willingness to try that from a Finnish center and he wasn't far enough off that practice can't get him executing there. Seems like a project most development teams would love to take on.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

A shift by shift, no audio. I like what I see, there is very obvious potential there and a nice physical package. Looks to me like a big body that would benefit greatly from professional hockey development training. Not afraid to try creative plays and experiment, but hands aren't quite as soft as they need to be for his attempts yet. Skating is very workable, room to improve with strength and instruction but not majorly flawed, good speed bursts and generally solid on his edges. Made a few Boldy like attempts in the O zone that he fumbled the puck on, but love the willingness to try that from a Finnish center and he wasn't far enough off that practice can't get him executing there. Seems like a project most development teams would love to take on.

To be clear, this is what I watched to come to the conclusions above.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I get the impression his hockey iq and ability will grow with age, agree with above it’s a project player I’m happy taking as he looks to have some nice tools and very workable abilities. Possible offensive upside here.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
We’ve been light on Finns recently, so glad to have him on board. Another C dart throw can’t hurt

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
"He makes more of a mark with his play down low and in the slot. ...Skating is currently his main weakness. He lacks agility and fluidity on the ice and is unable to maintain his speed whileturning. ...A good forechecker, Kumpulainen works hard, is tenacious, and uses his frame well to finish hits and win puck battles. He’s also a player with good defensive value; his effort level on the backcheck is solid and he supports his defensemen well down low in his zone. He also anticipates the play well and his ability to read the play in the defensive zone makes him a potential contributor to a PK unit in the NHL one day. In order to play center at the next level, however, Kumpulainen will need to improve his skating, but also his faceoff game. He was only at around 45% (via InStat) with his
club team in the faceoff circle this season."

"Kumpulainen might not be the most exciting, high upside prospect, but there’s a chance he ends up as a bottom-six centre who provides defensive value while also chipping in offensively with his off-puck timing and handling skill."

Reactions: Digitalbooya

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

So Elon Musk has decided to let people see Tweets again, hey?

Anyway, is there a reason he'd go to Oshawa from Finland? I think I'd rather he play in professional leagues at home where he can't get by on just his size, and he can learn a solid pro game. His numbers won't look as good, but who cares? I want a good player in the future, not a flashy prospect today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad