Rasmus Dahlin

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
He better develop his wristshot. Too much of hesitsting in the follow thru. Easy for goalie to read.
I mean more often than not, 18 year olds develop their skills by a significant margin by the time they reach their full potential.

Reactions: IlikeEich

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
He better develop his wristshot. Too much of hesitsting in the follow thru. Easy for goalie to read.

Definitely, but he’s 18. Would be shocked if he doesn’t improve that and his speed- a lil more muscle via offseason and the sky’s the limit.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I dont think Dahlin is generational, but i dont think you have to be better or as good as Gretzky or Mario to be considerded generational. Right now among forwards Mc David is generational. Among D, who knows.

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
I dont think Dahlin is generational, but i dont think you have to be better or as good as Gretzky or Mario to be considerded generational. Right now among forwards Mc David is generational. Among D, who knows.
Is Mcdavid as good as gretzky or mario?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Heiskanen plays 30 mins a night, PP and PK. Dahlin on the 2nd line 20mins. Theres a legit argument for Heiskanen without any "bias".

Ristolainen plays an absurd amount of minutes sometimes, too. Last year, Risto was 8th in the NHL in average ES TOI per game. The year prior he was 6th, and the year before that 15th. Over the last several seasons, he's arguably played some of the toughest minutes of any D in the league in addition to playing a ton of them. Is he better than all the guys who played less than him?

Minutes don't necessarily directly correlate with quality of play, except maybe as relative to teammates. Especially true on teams that have 0 blue line depth (a feature the current Stars and Sabres of years past share).

Reactions: Slimmy

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
Ristolainen plays an absurd amount of minutes sometimes, too. Last year, Risto was 8th in the NHL in average ES TOI per game. The year prior he was 6th, and the year before that 15th. Over the last several seasons, he's arguably played some of the toughest minutes of any D in the league in addition to playing a ton of them. Is he better than all the guys who played less than him?

Minutes don't necessarily directly correlate with quality of play, except maybe as relative to teammates. Especially true on teams that have 0 blue line depth (a feature the current Stars and Sabres of years past share).
Risto is a beast i concur, i merely pointed out the situation with Heiskanen being thrown in to a #1D role in his rookie year and succeeding with all-star performance. Not a knock on Dahlin on any way but the other kid is just simply playing a more demanding role responsibility wise.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Next year we can look how Dahlin is looking and compare to this year finish flash. Sure both are rookies but he is one year older. it will in the end look like risto being compared to EK like he did after his first Season. Where is risto now? ha ha ha. Go to sleep, at the end of the day heisk would be honored to open the door for dahlin.
You make it sound like the difference between 18 and 19 skills wise is this huge gap when it is not. People are so quick to throw out "Oh Dahlin is 18 wow, but Heiskanen is 19 so he is way older...blah blah". Have you watched what Heiskanen is doing in Dallas or are you just arm chairing like most uninformed people? Heiskanen can also play both LD/RD, he plays in ALL scenarios, does Dahlin? Nope.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
You make it sound like the difference between 18 and 19 skills wise is this huge gap when it is not. People are so quick to throw out "Oh Dahlin is 18 wow, but Heiskanen is 19 so he is way older...blah blah". Have you watched what Heiskanen is doing in Dallas or are you just arm chairing like most uninformed people? Heiskanen can also play both LD/RD, he plays in ALL scenarios, does Dahlin? Nope.

There’s a reason Dahlin’s on pace to do something only two other defenseman have done in NHL history, score 40+ points as an defenseman in their 18 year old season. Ekblad the only recent comparable but he also had freakish physical attributes at 18 years old.

Heiskanen has been solid and every Buffalo fan would love to have him on their team. Playing more minutes is really the only thing he clearly has over Dahlin right now, and that doesn’t come close to overcoming the 18/19 age gap between the two, and the extra year of development and getting stronger that comes with it.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
He was advertised as a generational player and so far he hasn’t lived up to the hype

Ekblad won the Calder. Dahlia won’t even win that.
Every year every 1st overall has generational hype. His was less then most so i seriously question your hockey knowledge if you bought into it. Hughes currently has far more generational hype then Dahlin did and just to save you the outcome... he wont be and will just be a very good hockey player.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

It's a massive gap for defensemen. There's a reason we routinely see 19yo D sticking in the NHL but almost never 18yos.
Dahlin also plays both left and right side and predominantly played right prior to this year, so I guess thanks for making it obvious to everyone exactly how little you know about him.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
It's a massive gap for defensemen. There's a reason we routinely see 19yo D sticking in the NHL but almost never 18yos.
Dahlin also plays both left and right side and predominantly played right prior to this year, so I guess thanks for making it obvious to everyone exactly how little you know about him.
So thanks for making it obvious to the masses how much of a gap you think there is between an 18 year old and 19 year old ROOKIE. So I guess thanks for making it obvious to everyone exactly how little you know about development of prospects, Kudos!

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I always hate the definitions of "generational". But one I will apply to be a "generational prospect" is at a minimum you have to be projected as the future #1 pick for at least 3-4 years before the draft, and keep that #1 draft status the entire time.

I dislike the term and how loosley it's applied at times but that's what I use for prospects and the few players who hit the NHL running at an extremely high level D+1 year, something Dahlin has indeed done.

3-4 years worked alot better when the NHL draft was for 20 year olds, so I use the age 15-16 for the current 18 year old draft.

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
It's not about skills, it's how much different dahlin will be physically next year who still looks like a child. .

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
This is pretty funny because if you actually watched Dahlin you would know that he can play LD/RD and plays in all scenarios.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Well, according to the old timers, every player that should be defined as generational has to dominate as much as Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux did. Since the league is actually competitive now and every player and position can play hockey at a top level, we can just retire the entire word, because by the defintion of the old schools, there will never be a generational player again.

Last edited:

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Every year every 1st overall has generational hype. His was less then most so i seriously question your hockey knowledge if you bought into it. Hughes currently has far more generational hype then Dahlin did and just to save you the outcome... he wont be and will just be a very good hockey player.
Wrong...

This thread is really ugly.

Reactions: Rasmi

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Love how yet again this thread has turned into a Heiskanen thread. A thread is made to appreciate how good Dahlin is and your first thought is "well I better go in there and tell them all about how Heiskanen is better!" Seriously, what happened in your life that makes you think this way?
Heiskanen will be the Matthews to Dahlin's McDavid. He even has the snout for the job.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Dahlin can play both LD and RD too. Before you claim something you should probably research it to back it up. He's on pp1. & one year of development between 18- 20 is a HUGE gap. Dahlin won't be 19 until 4 months. Troll

Reactions: JimboA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad