Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 3- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
They should let him untie his hands in the attack and pair him with Borgen, who will insure him.
Maybe playing on the 3rd pairing with a guy like Borgen is what Dahlin needs to reset his game. Then work his way back up from there.

That said, I don’t see Borgen getting in a game any time soon.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Maybe playing on the 3rd pairing with a guy like Borgen is what Dahlin needs to reset his game. Then work his way back up from there.

What the heck? Why do Pulock, Pelech, Toews and Mayfield play in the Islanders, but we have 24-year-old Borgen still in the AHL or not playing at all. We must give chances.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Possibly Miller could be benched since Ralph doesn't seem to be that fond of him. Seems there's no chance Montour would be benched given all the ice time coach is giving him.

Reactions: joshjull

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
It is very possible that the scouts were dead wrong. Yes, all of the scouts can be wrong

The greatest athlete of all time was a 6th round draft pick in 2000. Every single scout had their heads firmly up their asses in that case.

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It is very possible that the scouts were dead wrong. Yes, all of the scouts can be wrong

The greatest athlete of all time was a 6th round draft pick in 2000. Every single scout had their heads firmly up their asses in that case.
They couldve been, but damn, this franchise has done nothing to help him. I dont think anyone wouldve predicted he'd still need to be sheltered going into his third season, though. Sad to see, honestly.

Im still against trading him. Keep him, and hope he becomes a number 1 d man. That's essential for this franchise to be able to right the ship.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I no longer understand what is happening to him, perhaps it really made sense to consider trading until he finally fell off the cliff and lost serious value. But I really don't want to trade him, but something needs to be done.

Artemis Clyde Frog

Feb 1, 2019

*Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Michael Phelps, Lionel Messi and many more entered the chat*

I say as I said for long. They tried to change him to sth he isn't (Risto 2.0) instead of letting him play his game like first half of his rookie season. Overcoached and ruined confidence by all the benchings. Opposite to other young guns like Heiskanen, Q. Hughes and Makar.

Bigger and slower now as well, both on the skates and with the stick. Only recognizable thing is his sense of passing.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I hate to say it, but I hope for Dahlin's sake he's traded from this team. He has too much talent and potential for it to get destroyed playing for the Sabres

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
While I do not think Krueger does even an average job coaching, I see the same problems with Dahlin I saw in his first year, except they are becoming even more problematic. The biggest problem he has is he has about the worst first three steps on the team. He is a fluid skater once he gets up to speed but takes way to long to get there. He had a head start several times tonight and still got beat to the puck. He has no ability to keep up with, more less chase anyone down on the rush. He needs some serious skating work.

The fact is Dahlin is NOT a generational talent. He is not an elite skater, passer, or shooter. As a defenseman he is average. Trade him before the rest of the league figures that out. Joker is the only defenseman on the roster I have in my long term top 4 D.

Reactions: dortt

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
I hate to say it, but I'm jumping off the bandwagon, too. I would see if Columbus would take him 1-for-1 for PLD. Forwards matter so much more than defensemen, and with Eichel-PLD-Cozens, the Sabres could have a good forward group for a long, long time (in hockey years, at least).

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I hate to say it, but I'm jumping off the bandwagon, too. I would see if Columbus would take him 1-for-1 for PLD. Forwards matter so much more than defensemen, and with Eichel-PLD-Cozens, the Sabres could have a good forward group for a long, long time (in hockey years, at least).
Nashville did EXACTLY what you are proposing a few years back. It..... didn't end up very well for them.

Seriously.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
While I do not think Krueger does even an average job coaching, I see the same problems with Dahlin I saw in his first year, except they are becoming even more problematic. The biggest problem he has is he has about the worst first three steps on the team. He is a fluid skater once he gets up to speed but takes way to long to get there. He had a head start several times tonight and still got beat to the puck. He has no ability to keep up with, more less chase anyone down on the rush. He needs some serious skating work.

The fact is Dahlin is NOT a generational talent. He is not an elite skater, passer, or shooter. As a defenseman he is average. Trade him before the rest of the league figures that out. Joker is the only defenseman on the roster I have in my long term top 4 D.
OK how do I respond to this scorching hot take: There was this guy who was a defenseman that was drafted 2nd overall in the 1993 NHL draft by the Hartford Whalers. The next few years the Whalers were among the worst teams in the entire sport with a roster filled with players generally ranging from bad to godawful. In those years that #2 OA pick stood out on those horrible teams for being exceptionally horrible. Who was that kid?

Some guy named Chris Pronger, one of the greatest defensemen of all time.

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
I think you're seeing his patience/poise to make the best play or wait for a teammate to get open.

Last thing you want is for Dman to panic or rush plays/passes.

The fact that he gets away with it most of the time is a good thing.
Did you notice Dahlin getting benched? Maybe he should skip that patience/poise stuff and focus on his foot speed instead? Without speed he is caught behind the play, under pressure or with little time to make good decisions and plays.

And btw; trade him! It would be benificial to him and to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad