Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 2- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He really 'messed up' the swedish interview in which he stated: "Anywhere but Toronto."

Of course he lost a couple meatheads' favor north of the border.
They should appreciate him saying that. They'd love one of their players to say "anywhere but Montreal" or such.

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
The Dallas organization has been advertising and pushing Heiskanen as the next big thing since before the season began. The 'wunderkind' they've been calling him. Essentially attempting to place him as a Dahlin caliber of a prospect. Only recently has the mainstream media started to eat into the BS that they've selling since day one.

I love Heiskanen, and have loved him since his draft year, but he's clearly not at the same level. The eye test proves this. Do we even need to break out the advanced statistics?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He really 'messed up' the swedish interview in which he stated: "Anywhere but Toronto."

Of course he lost a couple meatheads' favor north of the border.

Yeah they seem petty like that.

ESPN has Dahlin in 5th. Behind guys Pettersson and guys that are at most years older who have the same number of points or a lot less.

In regards to Dahlin, you can only win the Calder once, but you can win the Norris a lot more times. Not going to lose sleep over Dahlin’s place for rookies.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
could it be Dahlin is not as good as we think he is?

His point totals have been historic for an 18 year old. However, he has been Ristoish in his own zone the second half of the season. That is what has hurt him. I think this is the long season though. He should be significantly improved in that regard next year.

I'd like to see him put up 50-55 points next year and play solid D throughout the entire season

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
could it be Dahlin is not as good as we think he is?

His point totals have been historic for an 18 year old. However, he has been Ristoish in his own zone the second half of the season. That is what has hurt him. I think this is the long season though. He should be significantly improved in that regard next year.

I'd like to see him put up 50-55 points next year and play solid D throughout the entire season
It's almost like it's the first time in his life he's played anywhere near this amount of hockey games.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Dahlin is at 43 with 2 more periods. Pettersson ended with 66 points. Yes he missed 14 games but a 18 year old D scoring 43 far more impressive then a 19 year old scoring 66. But with how the media is I expect Dahlin to finish 3rd in voting at best.

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
He played all 82 as our best defenseman (I know, not hard to be at times). He's such a determined kid, but still needs a good team around him.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I doubt he played those all in a row some of those games were probably tournaments. Wikipedia says he played around 40 games for Frolunda...
Eliteprospects is better if you want to check stats. Tournaments are played during the season without a break. Dahlin took part in almost every single one.
It’s not a slight against his play but he has loads of games under his belt already.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The year Myers won the Calder, he scored 48 as a 19/20 year old Dman. Duchene had 55 and Tavares 54. The runner up was actually Jimmy Howard. Ultimately I bet they give it to EP based on ppg (but the way he has played the last 15 games even if he did play the other 14 games he likely is in the low 70s.

I could see it being EP, Dahlin, Binnington even though he didn't play nearly enough games.I just am far more impressed with a rookie dman playing all 82 games before his 19th bday putting up 44 points and playing 21 minutes a night as a possession monster on a team that was badly outshot game in and game out. Considering EP is atrocious at face offs, had an absolutely ridiculous 70% ozs and has no defensive aspect to his game whatsoever I don't think he should win the Calder.D+2 forwards have put up far more impressive seasons in the past decade.Auston Matthews rookie campaign was definitely better also.

It is just bull shit that the analysts and people around the league are not giving Dahlin his due. This guy was compared to Denis Potvin, one of the top 5 D to ever play the game. He did something that has only been done by not only the best Dman to ever play the game but arguably the best player in league history and then by one of the other best offensive dmen in league history. It was last done 36 years ago. If a dman is doing something not done in nearly 40 years how the f*** is he not generational? How is he not considered the 2nd most valuable asset in the NHL? Dahlin is going to be a 26 minute a night, ppg smooth skating two way Dman when he reaches his ceiling. He is turning 19 in a few days. And he is all ours. Winning Dahlin was just a small notch below winning the McDavid lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad