Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 2- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I just think having him play on the PK at all is a huge waste.

What’s the waste of giving him some more experience battling and focusing on defense? Not to mention the utter threat he could be to spring someone or take off himself.

I don’t learn or teach him anything special this year by giving an extra couple even strength shifts where he might get an extra point or two. Clearly this organization hasn’t been worried about winning this year, so it’s not a team concern.

Let him work on the pk, at a time when he can screw up and it literally doesn’t matter.

Next year I expect him to eat up some pk. You can’t be Bobby Orr 2.0 and not pk.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
What’s the waste of giving him some more experience battling and focusing on defense? Not to mention the utter threat he could be to spring someone or take off himself.

I don’t learn or teach him anything special this year by giving an extra couple even strength shifts where he might get an extra point or two. Clearly this organization hasn’t been worried about winning this year, so it’s not a team concern.

Let him work on the pk, at a time when he can screw up and it literally doesn’t matter.

Next year I expect him to eat up some pk. You can’t be Bobby Orr 2.0 and not pk.
He'll also have to work on dropping the gloves if he wants be in the same conversation as Orr.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He'll also have to work on dropping the gloves if he wants be in the same conversation as Orr.

To be fair, I don’t think the league would allow anyone to be as rough and tumble as Orr or Howe were as stars. Too much money invested to let a franchise player regularly fight.

But the kid was pretty fearless throwing the body around at his maturity and physique. I wouldn’t be shocked if he starts chuckin fists at some point in the next year or so. Maybe not with the euro background and league trends.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I just think having him play on the PK at all is a huge waste.
Agreed. This is one thing Housley got right, frankly.

Dahlin has been getting > 20 minutes routinely for quite a while, averaging 21:10 for the season. I don't see how adding PK to his work load this late in the season, with nothing at stake, would benefit anyone. Next year, sure, let's ease PK minutes into his game.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Agreed. This is one thing Housley got right, frankly.

Dahlin has been getting > 20 minutes routinely for quite a while, averaging 21:10 for the season. I don't see how adding PK to his work load this late in the season, with nothing at stake, would benefit anyone. Next year, sure, let's ease PK minutes into his game.
If there is nothing at stake what would it hurt to play him there? I don’t really care one way or another but now is the time to try all kinds of things precisely because there is nothing at stake anymore. Not that I expect to see much of that from our coach.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
If there is nothing at stake what would it hurt to play him there? I don’t really care one way or another but now is the time to try all kinds of things precisely because there is nothing at stake anymore. Not that I expect to see much of that from our coach.
I see an overused, tired player out there often enough already. Let's not risk anything with our future Norris candidate in meaningless games in a lost season.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I see an overused, tired player out there often enough already. Let's not risk anything with our future Norris candidate in meaningless games in a lost season.
What could possibly be risked by playing him on the PK? Is he going to break? This is a pretty weak and frankly silly argument you’re putting forth.

Reactions: BananaSquad

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
What could possibly be risked by playing him on the PK? Is he going to break? This is a pretty weak and frankly silly argument you’re putting forth.
As stated, I think he's getting plenty of minutes as is. What's your upper bound?

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Oh no, Rasmus plays Fortnite...

The player who made him the most starstruck in the NHL was Erik Karlsson and his best friend on the team is Casey Mittelstadt.

He also said that he has no chance to steal the Calder from Pettersson and that he plans to add a lot of muscle this summer.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Solid interview. SSOOOOOO glad we won that lottery. He'll be the best player (and recognized as such) on this team very soon.

Reactions: BananaSquad

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
As stated, I think he's getting plenty of minutes as is. What's your upper bound?

For the sake of your concern that he might get too many minutes over the last few weeks and that will cause some kind of damage, I’d be fine with shifting minutes instead of adding, tho I don’t see the harm in 23-24 minutes instead of 21-22.

The different situation is the important part. And the lack of consequences at this point of the season. It won’t hurt him, long term, to get nhl experience under a new circumstance. If he is the guy we all expect, he will pk a fair amount if he is going to play 25 plus minutes a night.

Wouldn’t it make more sense now, rather than next year or the year after when the playoffs are on the line?

I wouldn’t say the same thing to start next year. The situation changes back to, heavy pp and even strength and let lesser lights carry that weight, as much as makes sense.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Lots of interesting stuff in there, apart from the "fan boy" questions.

Asked about if he had to be traded where he'd like to go "I want to stay in Buffalo, but I'll answer like this - anywhere but Toronto." Nice.

Didn't even take him a full season to learn to hate the Leafs. What a stud.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
One of my best friends is going to hook him up with a hat from New York's REAL team:
IMG_20190317_015050.jpg

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I just think our team has the best chance of possession and scoring when Rasmus is on the ice, and I don't want to waste any of his minutes in situations where both of those are essentially guaranteed to not happen.

And that may be the correct path when games matter before he hits maturity and can play 27 a night.

But first, there are going to be plenty of times in his career where due to injuries, penalties, whatever, he will need to pk regularly.

And his offensive ability is an advantage on the pk too. He can exploit screwups and spring breakaways far better than Bogo or some other mucker. Might as well get the experience now.

Reactions: Paxon

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
You put Dahlin on the pk *because* he's a gamebreaking talent. Let him hone his defensive skills and allow the team a greater threat for shorthanded opportunities.

Reactions: sabresandcanucks

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
You put Dahlin on the pk *because* he's a gamebreaking talent. Let him hone his defensive skills and allow the team a greater threat for shorthanded opportunities.

I can't think of a player I'd rather have on the ice toward the end of a PK, espcially. Dahlin springing the returning 5th man for a breakaway is probably a routine occurrence if you give him those shifts.

Besides the offensive upside, the season is dead, and it's another opportunity for him to experience a different game situation and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad