Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 2- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Man, I can't even say how good this kid is. People try to compare him to others but at 18 I think he has to be one of the best 18 year olds to play defence. He is almost mistake free, awesome decision making the thing I have noticed lately is how he can open the ice up on the pass with an extra move. That move scores goals.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
He is way too soft on pucks in the d-zone (and particularly below the goal line) right now. It's something he'll get better at as he physically matures, but it's an area of his game that could certainly use some cleaning up.

Other than that...what a freaking player.

Reactions: Goathead and vcv

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
There is a touch of Adam Larsson to him. Adam was also extremely hyped but his offensive side never got off. Dahlin has shown great offensive instincts in SHL but whenever i watched him he has been a defense first D. Nothing wrong with that but you want more, dont you. Hope he gets going.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
There is a touch of Adam Larsson to him. Adam was also extremely hyped but his offensive side never got off. Dahlin has shown great offensive instincts in SHL but whenever i watched him he has been a defense first D. Nothing wrong with that but you want more, dont you. Hope he gets going.

i dont know.. he's on pace for 40 + points as an 18 yr old rookie...seems alright to me

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

7 points in his last 7 games, on pace to score north of 40 as an 18-year-old, and getting more and more confident handling the puck and taking chances every game. Appreciate your concern, but I think the kid's doing just fine.

BTW, Dahlin right now is already half way to matching Larsson's most productive NHL season ever. It's 1/4 of the way through the season, and he is 18.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

I don't see that at all. If he would've buried that Pitt goal rather than hitting the post, this post probably wouldn't exist. (To say nothing of the two-dozen other chances he had. Aside from Eichel, he's the only other player I've seen on the Sabres average 1 prime scoring chance a game)

Reactions: sabrebuild

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

He's showing those instincts more and more. Nearly had a goal yesterday on a sweet feed from Sam. I think he was focusing on his defensive responsibilities first (possibly at the urging of the staff) and bit by bit, his offensive side is showing.

I know points aren't the end-all, be-all of offensive ability, but he's already halfway to Larsson's career high.

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008

He is 21st in defenceman scoring right now. You must of only been watching him the first few games of the year. He is starting to turn the offense on.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
He's showing those instincts more and more. Nearly had a goal yesterday on a sweet feed from Sam. I think he was focusing on his defensive responsibilities first (possibly at the urging of the staff) and bit by bit, his offensive side is showing.

I know points aren't the end-all, be-all of offensive ability, but he's already halfway to Larsson's career high.
He stated himself before the season that he would focus on d and adjusting to the NHL before trying to take on a more creative role. Not that he hasn’t been creative.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I continually am in awe with how defensively mature he is at his age. Where Ekblad/Hedman were two of the most physically ready D-men to be drafted in recent history, Dahlin is well above any defenseman mentally ready that was drafted recently. It's not even at a level of just being capable of playing at the NHL level, but the signs so early of playing at an elite level.

Watching him play, it looks like the only thing holding him back is his comfort level at this level, which will be fixed as he gains experience. I figured by age 21 he would be among the best defenseman in the game, I may have to bump that sooner if he continues at the trajectory he's playing at.

Reactions: Yatzhee and dasaybz

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I continually am in awe with how defensively mature he is at his age. Where Ekblad/Hedman were two of the most physically ready D-men to be drafted in recent history, Dahlin is well above any defenseman mentally ready that was drafted recently. It's not even at a level of just being capable of playing at the NHL level, but the signs so early of playing at an elite level.

Watching him play, it looks like the only thing holding him back is his comfort level at this level, which will be fixed as he gains experience. I figured by age 21 he would be among the best defenseman in the game, I may have to bump that sooner if he continues at the trajectory he's playing at.
He could easily pack 20 lbs of muscle as well. Him more comfortable and bigger is a scary thought.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
This kid is "as was advertised".
He's better than advertised. He's seven (should be six...hopefully that apple he earned last night gets restored on replay with the league) points away from tying his production in the SHL from last season. If he *only* doubles up that twenty points to 40 this year I'll be surprised...I think he'll top 50. Just keeps getting better and better every single game. More confident, more slippery, a little bit of arrogance out there in a great way. I'd love to see him get his shot going...more accurate on the slapshot and quicker on the wrister. That's the only thing missing so far, but it's not even December of his rookie year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad