Value of: Rasmus Dahlin, 1 for 1

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
WHAT IF...
I've been drinking, but what the **** if...
EDM needs help on the blueline. You can win the Art Ross two years in a row, that's great, but EDM had a second round exit followed by missing the playoffs...what good are those Art Ross Trophies doing for EDM or McDavid.
EDM needs help on the blueline.
EDM has Draisaitl locked up.

A 1 for 1 between EDM and BUF could actually make some sense...
BUF could trade one of Eichel or ROR since they'd immediately be deep as all hell at C and help their blueline.

Wait no. I didn't just type all of that. No, I didn't. I didn't.
No, you don't trade the #1OA pick, or the dude you pick in their draft year. No.

Neither team makes that trade. McDavid is the Oilers. And Buffalo is going to be much happier having a franchise C and a franchise D than it would having 2 of one and none of the other.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Up until last week if you googled "Dahlin generational" you got about 8 articles using that word 2 of which were Sportsnet and 2 which were tsn, 1 referencing him as the best Swede as his generation, 1 is NHL.com etc. and most of them say he could be generational. So this is not like McDavid, it's more like Matthews/Eichel where a few people are using it to sensationalize him.

He's being pretty overhyped IMO here on HF with one guy comparing him to Lindros in value and others calling him the McDavid of defensemen.

I'm not an expert but from what I can tell he might be a shade better than Hedman was at that age. The expectations some people are having for him in his rookie season are ridiculous and I think it is in part because rookies, usually forwards, are stepping right in and doing amazing things.

Generational is being used so much it now has become meaningless. You want to talk about Generational players we can talk about Crosby and Ovechkin, everyone else is just hoping and praying, though in fairness McDavid is the best bet to be the next one.

Not really. These guys compare him to Karlsson, Hedman, and Lidstrom.

Craig Button- "Franchise defining blueliner who very well may be the best defenceman entering the draft since Denis Potvin in 1973."

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-mock-draft-post-lottery-edition-1.1071168

Ray Ferraro says this, looks speechless.

Then we have Mckenzie saying stuff like this.

https://www.tsn.ca/template-welcome-to-the-rasmus-dahlin-draft-1.979722

He's a tier above Eichel/Matthews but below McDavid. If he was in NA the hype would be ridiculous.

Last edited:

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Up until last week if you googled "Dahlin generational" you got about 8 articles using that word 2 of which were Sportsnet and 2 which were tsn, 1 referencing him as the best Swede as his generation, 1 is NHL.com etc. and most of them say he could be generational. So this is not like McDavid, it's more like Matthews/Eichel where a few people are using it to sensationalize him.

He's being pretty overhyped IMO here on HF with one guy comparing him to Lindros in value and others calling him the McDavid of defensemen.

I'm not an expert but from what I can tell he might be a shade better than Hedman was at that age. The expectations some people are having for him in his rookie season are ridiculous and I think it is in part because rookies, usually forwards, are stepping right in and doing amazing things.

Generational is being used so much it now has become meaningless. You want to talk about Generational players we can talk about Crosby and Ovechkin, everyone else is just hoping and praying, though in fairness McDavid is the best bet to be the next one.
I have no idea if Dahlin will fit HF boards definition of "generational" I too think it gets overused, but he's the best defensive prospect I've ever seen and I've heard similar remarks from Scouts, GM's, etc. Does that always mean it translates to the nhl? No. Not for forwards who are easier to project and certainly not for defenseman who are much harder to project in general, but he's about the surest thing I've seen on the backend in the last 20 or so years to become a #1 defenseman and a perennial norris candidate. The potential is there, saying he "could" be a generational player isn't overstating anything at least imo.

Edit-Seen I was beat to the punch by the post above me. Those blurbs by Ferraro and Mckenzie say it all. As they said, If he were Canadian and bound for Montreal or Toronto the hype would be unbearable.

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Not really. These guys compare him to Karlsson, Hedman, and Lidstrom.

Ray Ferraro says this, looks speechless.

Then we have Mckenzie saying stuff like this.

https://www.tsn.ca/template-welcome-to-the-rasmus-dahlin-draft-1.979722

He's a tier above Eichel/Matthews but below McDavid. If he was in NA the hype would be ridiculous.

Yup, has a chance to be. Shocking.

You're entitled to your opinion, I disagree. A tier above Matthews and Eichel and one below McDavid is a very small area. How can you justify that statement? How many bloody tiers are their? You do not even know what Matthew's and Eichel's peaks are going to be.

I don't want to rain on your parade, if he has to be better than Matthews and Eichel so you can sleep at night, knock yourself out. Just remember we are sharing opinions here, not facts.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

You're entitled to your opinion, I disagree. A tier above Matthews and Eichel and one below McDavid is a very small area. How can you justify that statement? How many bloody tiers are their? You do not even know what Matthew's and Eichel's peaks are going to be.

I don't want to rain on your parade, if he has to be better than Matthews and Eichel so you can sleep at night, knock yourself out. Just remember we are sharing opinions here, not facts.

I have no idea what he is going to turn out to be. But when Button, Ferraro, and McKenzie are comparing them to the likes of Potvin, Lidstrom, Karlsson, Hedman I take note. They know more than most on this board. As a "prospect" he is the best d prospect since Potvin according to Button. Who knows how that will translate to the NHL.

Reactions: TrentonF

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I have no idea what he is going to turn out to be. But when Button, Ferraro, and McKenzie are comparing them to the likes of Potvin, Lidstrom, Karlsson, Hedman I take note. They know more than most on this board. As a "prospect" he is the best d prospect since Potvin according to Button. Who knows how that will translate to the NHL.

Yeah and who were Eichel and Matthews compared to? Guys like Sakic and Malkin. You are fighting over 1 inch on a 100 yard field dude.

phillyb

Jan 21, 2014
Why the **** would you trade mcdavid for a guy that has played 0 games in the NHL? I get it he is an amazing prospect... but it’s ****ing mcdavid.....

I hate the oilers but come in...

It's ok...

Neither team makes that trade. McDavid is the Oilers. And Buffalo is going to be much happier having a franchise C and a franchise D than it would having 2 of one and none of the other.

IT'S OK!

WHAT IF...
I've been drinking, but what the **** if...
EDM needs help on the blueline. You can win the Art Ross two years in a row, that's great, but EDM had a second round exit followed by missing the playoffs...what good are those Art Ross Trophies doing for EDM or McDavid.
EDM needs help on the blueline.
EDM has Draisaitl locked up.

A 1 for 1 between EDM and BUF could actually make some sense...
BUF could trade one of Eichel or ROR since they'd immediately be deep as all hell at C and help their blueline.

Wait no. I didn't just type all of that. No, I didn't. I didn't.
No, you don't trade the #1OA pick, or the dude you pick in their draft year. No.

It's ok guys, I didn't type all of that drivel. I didn't.

Reactions: Gaudfather

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

Of course it's all just opinions here, I'm not ready to start comparing Dahlin to guys who don't even play the same position, because I find that to be a pretty stupid exercise. Like Mckenzie says he has aspects of his game that mirror all of the very best defenseman in the game right now. Some have compared him to Nick Lidstrom, who may be the best all around defenseman to ever play the game, Lidstrom himself compared him to Brian Leetch, another hall of famer. This isn't just hype built up by uninformed fans or the media. Well respected players, coaches, GM's, and scouts have had some very very high praise and comparisions for him.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Of course it's all just opinions here, I'm not ready to start comparing Dahlin to guys who don't even play the same position, because I find that to be a pretty stupid exercise. Like Mckenzie says he has aspects of his game that mirror all of the very best defenseman in the game right now. Some have compared him to Nick Lidstrom, who may be the best all around defenseman to ever play the game, Lidstrom himself compared him to Brian Leetch, another hall of famer. This isn't just hype built up by uninformed fans or the media. Well respected players, coaches, GM's, and scouts have had some very very high praise and comparisions for him.

Obviously if I am comparing him to Eichel and Matthews it isn't just hype. I agree it's weird comparing different positions.

Again, fighting over an inch on 100 yard field.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton

To be fair they are all employed by TSN, which hypes everything, that's their bread and butter.

Reactions: sweetberrywine

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

There's just a difference between being a Karlsson level offensive force and a Karlsson level offensive force who's also the best shutdown defenseman in the game. I can see the former being the case 100%, but I'm going to need some convincing on the latter.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Obviously if I am comparing him to Eichel and Matthews it isn't just hype. I agree it's weird comparing different positions.

Again, fighting over an inch on 100 yard field.
Yeah i guess it's that area between franchise player to Generational that gets blurry. People label franchise guys generational and that's obviously overstating it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's the best defenseman in the game for an extended period, would that make him generational? Maybe, maybe not depending on your definition.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
He's going to be without trade par because he hasn't had some asshat GM sign him to some crazy deal immediately. But the Sabre are going to be screwed because they already gave Eichel the keys to the city, king of the jungle contract, so what happens if Rasmus comes in and it turns out to be his team? You're stuck. GM's need to stop panicking and let the guy prove himself and earn his money. Lately the trend is that every 20 year old first round pick walks into negotiation to find the GM bent over with his drawers lowered and names his price. That needs to stop. Put up some seasons and take the team somewhere or else we could finish last without your 10M pricetag.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Yeah i guess it's that area between franchise player to Generational that gets blurry. People label franchise guys generational and that's obviously overstating it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's the best defenseman in the game for an extended period, would that make him generational? Maybe, maybe not depending on your definition.
Or he might be one of the best defensemen in the league.

Tell you what, ding me in 15 years and we'll talk about if he is generational or not, as of this moment he is not.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
There's just a difference between being a Karlsson level offensive force and a Karlsson level offensive force who's also the best shutdown defenseman in the game. I can see the former being the case 100%, but I'm going to need some convincing on the latter.
Yeah I mean that's a pretty lofty set of parameters you just laid out. I think most people don't expect Dahlin to be the best shutdown defenseman in the league, but if he produces like Karlsson while playing a better defensive game (even if it isn't the very best in the game), that could very well result in him being in consideration for one of the best defenseman to play the game when it's all said and done.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I just want to put it out there that it is going to be almost impossible for this kid to be as good as the hype machine is making him out to be. It's getting beyond absurd. If he doesn't step on the ice and immediately become Bobby Orr, he's going to let people down. I feel bad for the kid. The bar is set so freaking high he's going to need a Wile E. Coyote Acme Jet pack strapped to his ass to have any hope of living up to this foolishness.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Here’s a question....

Would Columbus trade Jones for him?

Would Tampa trade Hedman for him?

Would leafs trade Gardiner for him?
I'd think the leafs would trade Gardiner for him. I think it is fair for the sabres to ask for both nylander and marner as well.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Or he might be one of the best defensemen in the league.

Tell you what, ding me in 15 years and we'll talk about if he is generational or not, as of this moment he is not.

He is a generational prospect... going by your standards McDavid isn't generational at all.

But you as well are fighting for an inch on a 100 yard field and you are in all the Dahlin threads doing it.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
He is a generational prospect... going by your standards McDavid isn't generational at all.

But you as well are fighting for an inch on a 100 yard field and you are in all the Dahlin threads doing it.

I'm not allowed to talk about the top prospect? Are only people who blow smoke up your ass allowed?

You're right, McDavid is not generational. In 15 years when we look back at his career we may conclude he is, he is certainly on track to be, but you know what? He's played NHL games and won awards.

Yep McDavid got a lot of hype but then he came out and backed it up.

You've got a lot to be excited about but let's see him play some games before anointing him among the best D to ever play the game huh?

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Dahlin LOOKS unbelievable. We will see what he does but all things are pointing to the moon. That being said, McDavid has already landed on the moon.

Buffalo should not be even considering trading Dahlin. Dahlin Eichel and Middlestadt will hopefully get them off of the floor. That's a lot of high level talent but Buffalo needs to add in an infusion of depth as well which shouldn't be a problem trying to reel free agents in with those youngsters.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yeah I mean that's a pretty lofty set of parameters you just laid out. I think most people don't expect Dahlin to be the best shutdown defenseman in the league, but if he produces like Karlsson while playing a better defensive game (even if it isn't the very best in the game), that could very well result in him being in consideration for one of the best defenseman to play the game when it's all said and done.

The Lidstrom comparisons people are throwing around are what I'm basing it on. He put up the close to the same points Karlsson did while being the best defensive defenseman in the league outside of maybe Pronger's peak seasons. And even then, not everyone agrees Lidstrom was a generational defenseman or top-5 all-time. I just don't see being a 70+ defenseman as enough to qualify as generational unless you bring elite elements elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad