Prospect Info: Rasmus Asplund (2016, 33rd) –- Loaned to Vasteras (HockeyAllsvenskan)

FloridaSabresFan

Nov 5, 2019
Didnt like his last game. Seemed a bit out of place. Not saying anything other than that. He is a rookie it happens.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Which to me is the opposite of what I'd expect long term. Hmmmmm.

Indeed. I do wonder if some of it is role related, since he's on the wing with Skinner and Johansson in a more offensive capacity. We know Skinner has limitations in his own zone that are offset by his offensive generating capabilities. And MJ has struggled since his injury.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

it’s what I’d expect of someone who is a solid hockey player but they are inexperienced at the NHL level. I’d not read too much into what the numbers say for long term purposes

Reactions: nihlify

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016

+3% offense threat is really minimal. He’s providing “average threat” or offense.

+9 defensive threat (below avg, bordering bad) is more of a concern.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
4 points in 20 games...he will fit in well with the rest of this highly skilled group of forwards that we have

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I like him, but wish we were not in such bad shape at center that he is up in the NHL instead of finishing the year in Rochester. That said, he is older, has plenty of professional experience, and therefor likely work through the forced advancement better than someone like Mittelstadt. I prefer him playing center than wing but I understand if it is short term gap plugging. We need a couple position balancing trades sooooooo bad.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
When did he get to four? :laugh:
my bad...when I checked his stats on hockey db it was 1, 2, 3, 4.....I thought the 4 was his total points...didn't catch that was penalty minutes...I stand corrected...1 goal 2 assists for 3 points lol

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
my bad...when I checked his stats on hockey db it was 1, 2, 3, 4.....I thought the 4 was his total points...didn't catch that was penalty minutes...I stand corrected...1 goal 2 assists for 3 points lol

No worries. He has always been considered more of a defensive “glue guy” so his point totals aren’t going to be the be-all, end-all.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
No worries. He has always been considered more of a defensive “glue guy” so his point totals aren’t going to be the be-all, end-all.
Even if he can be a poor man's Hecht, that would be huge for this roster. We can't afford to have high-end wingers on every line. There should be a guy like this on the top three lines IMO.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Even if he can be a poor man's Hecht, that would be huge for this roster. We can't afford to have high-end wingers on every line. There should be a guy like this on the top three lines IMO.

They're about to have 2 good filler guys hit UFA and no longer be cost controlled (Larsson, Girgensons) as well as a couple of UFA question marks (Vesey, Rodriques) and a UFA please-be-gone (Sobotka). They're going to have to find cost controlled options to fill most of those roster spots since there is not a lot of high or even much mid-quality UFA in the upcoming summer. That leaves spending futures on filler trades and honestly... that is about as scary a thought as anything out there in Sabre fan chest of fears.

Asplund is in a great spot to keep getting NHL time and should get some work in the middle again to see if he can handle some of the responsibilities.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I like Asplund as a player and agree with your assessment. But that description makes me shake my head all over again about the trade to get him.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I like Asplund as a player and agree with your assessment. But that description makes me shake my head all over again about the trade to get him.

I look at Asplund as the "replacement" for Compher with player of style. I do think he has a few more levels offensively to reach, as I think in Rochester, when he finally got comfortable at the AHL level last year (he started out very slow in his first year in the AHL) he really showcased the overall game he could have. I think he plays the right game to be able to do that.

I would like to see him re-kindle some of that chemistry with Oloffson before he goes down, and play in Reinhart's spot on that first line. I think he's a better fit for that line there than Sam currently is especially at the wing right now.

riviera71

Dec 14, 2019
Gothenburg
As far as I know SHL isn't open for reinforcements from NHL (since they'll likely only will be there for a short time) but Hockeyallsvenskan decided it's all ok. Not troubling at all and you'll probably see a lot of swedish NHL/AHL guys getting some ice time in Hockeyallsvenskan :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad