Prospect Info: Rasmus Asplund (2016, 33rd) –- Loaned to Vasteras (HockeyAllsvenskan)

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Man, I hope they aren't idiots and not qualify NHL players for the sake of change and thrust him into a role he may not be ready for yet.
They only have 3 RFA forwards and any of them would get picked up on waivers if they decided Asplund was ready.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Sorry, you'll never be able to convince me that a contract that couldn't be much more irrelevant to the cap situation is anything remotely worth caring about. Get back to me after this offseason, then maybe I'll come to your side depending on how it goes.

It's not that Wilson's contract is a cap killer.

It's just another decision that is a complete head scratcher. And if he can't get the little things right...

Reactions: OkimLom and Aladyyn

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
The point isn’t the cap, it’s that Botts thought Wilson was someone he needed to avoid arbitration with.

This is the same GM that thought Jordan Nolan belonged on an NHL roster.

I'd argue he's better than Sobotka, and makes less than a 3rd as much. You can argue he's not worth that much but there's far more egregious examples of players not being worth their contracts on this team.

But that's all I'm gonna say on this, I'd rather not spam my boy Rasmus's thread.

Reactions: schpaff

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) - The Sabres have to make a decision in June if they’re going to give qualifying offers to Johan Larsson and Zemgus Girgensons. They’ve already signed European free agent center Arttu Ruotsalainen and have Rasmus Asplund down in Rochester.

Asplund had a rough start to his first professional season in North America. He's 21 and had played three years in the SHL before coming to Rochester.

The center had no goals and one assist in his first 16 games with the Amerks. When the Sabres moved up to get Asplund in the second round of the 2016 NHL Draft, they talked about what a smart player he was. That came through as Asplund found his game and had 10 goals and 31 assists for 41 points in 75 games. Asplund said there were many factors that helped him get better, “I think I really learned how to play my game at a really high pace. I think that was the one thing I was struggling with a little bit, but the longer the year went, I think I got more and more used to it and got comfortable doing things at a high speed.”

After playing on the larger ice in Europe, players like Asplund, Victor Olofsson and Lawrence Pilut had to get used to having less time to make plays. Asplund said, “I wouldn’t say it was hard, you had to take some time to get used to it like how certain players react in certain situations, so I just had to be a little patient with getting used to it.”

Amusing to see PHam walk back his first paragraph after being question about it on Twitter.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
At least he didn't resort to his signature weak Twitter block move.

Not yet. Though he has gone to the "you're freaking out" when there is no freak out and the "we don't know what they'll do" rather than fessing up to a shitty idea that's more about rousing the mob against easy but undeserved targets. Again.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
I’ll tune in to a few Amerks games here and there, but I never watch them from start to finish. Seeing Asplund these last few games up with the big club, and it’s obvious that this kid belongs. He’s a legit NHLer.

I have no idea what his ceiling might be, but he reminds me of a young Jochen Hecht.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Having him around allows them to keep Casey on the wing. Casey on the wing has been a better player than Casey at Center.

Careful now, that type of thinking is how we got Casey at center in the first place...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Careful now, that type of thinking is how we got Casey at center in the first place...

I'd rather Casey goes to Rochester and plays the minutes Asplund did on the first powerplay, regularly PKing, taking important starts in all three zones and get him used to being a high-end, productive professional player. Or they can leave him on the wing for 10 minutes a night and wonder why he is another in a long line of stunted picks.

As for Asplund, I hope he isn't sent back because he's the sort of useful depth guy we had hoped and dreamed he would be. Smart, well-positioned, quick, a little gritty... keep him up.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'd rather Casey goes to Rochester and plays the minutes Asplund did on the first powerplay, regularly PKing, taking important starts in all three zones and get him used to being a high-end, productive professional player. Or they can leave him on the wing for 10 minutes a night and wonder why he is another in a long line of stunted picks.

As for Asplund, I hope he isn't sent back because he's the sort of useful depth guy we had hoped and dreamed he would be. Smart, well-positioned, quick, a little gritty... keep him up.

I fully expect Asplund to be sent down due to body count and the team getting healthy at some point. But his time up did exactly what it was supposed to, give us a glimpse into the current state of his development. It's what you would expect when you have a laundry list of injuries. We see he's right on the cusp of being NHL if he isn't already. Everyone knows now that next offseason is where we should expect him to fight for a roster spot. I know Botterill has lied to the fans about open competition before, but this offseason should be just that. I would like to see him go back to the AHL and just amp up the momentum and become more of a force offensively down there. This is where he should be saddled with more responsibility in Rochester.

As for Casey, I'm not going to be long about this (not his thread), but I've been saying that for a while now. I agree 100%.

Reactions: Zman5778

mechaworm

Nov 5, 2019
I know Botterill has lied to the fans about open competition before, but this offseason should be just that.

It's always easier to say that before trades/signings, though. If Asplund is working with 10 games NHL experience, there's going to be pressure to find a bunch of marginal vets again via trade or FA.

As it is, the solution should be simple. You have a player (Mittelstadt) that everyone agrees could use AHL time. If Mitts eventually earns his callup again and there's no injuries, you might have to Moulson somebody. I don't think anyone will argue that Moulson's demotion hurt the team.

Making a roster work is a continual, holistic process. Asplund clearly makes the team better right now. There are others who clearly make the team worse. If you can't demote/promote within the year to develop your players at the level they're prepared to contribute, you might expect to find yourself in a situation where guys are stagnating at the wrong levels and you have pressure to go out and spend your mid round picks on bottom 6 players and clutter, which pushes the problem into the next year. Which is what we do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->