Prospect Info: Rasmus Asplund (2016, 33rd) –- Loaned to Vasteras (HockeyAllsvenskan)

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Kris Baker‏ @SabresProspects -
Let's remember: Asplund said at Development Camp that his goal for the season is 30 points (he had 19 points last year). Nice start in preseason.

LaxSabre - Note they play 50 regular season games. He had those 19 points last year in just 30 games.

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Would be a huge year for him if he could get near a PPG in the SHL.

I love this kid, gonna be a real player. Hope Larsson and Girgensons have good years because at some point we're going to have to trade some guys for cap reasons.

Last edited:

37 others

Apr 18, 2017
Is he better than Davidson? Forgive me if I'm totally wrong, but aren't they very similar players?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Would be a huge year for him if he could get near a PPG in the SHL.

I love this kid, gonna be a real player. Hope Larsson and Girgensons have good years because at some point we're going to have to trade some guys for cap reasons.

Hardly anyone gets near ppg in the SHL. 30 pts would be great, especially on the team he is on.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Hardly anyone gets near ppg in the SHL. 30 pts would be great, especially on the team he is on.

This is true. Only the top two players last year were over ppg: Johan Lindström (54 points/51 games) and Broc Little (53/52). Brynäs top line was arguably the best line in the leage last year with Oscar Lindblom (4th), Jesper Jensen (5th) and Kevin Clark (7th) in point. They scored 47/52, 42/50 and 39/52. So yes, putting up ppg or even near that is pretty hard to do. In the case of Kevin Clark, seventh in point, that equals 0.75 points per game. If Asplund even gets near that, you should be happy.

(I won't, because I hate Färjestad and I won't be rooting for him to score anything until he's actually a Sabre) ;)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Asplund blew me away in the prospects tourney, whereas I barely noticed Davidsson.

In my humble opinion, Asplund is The better player right now, and possibly going forward. He was a potential first rounder in what was viewed as much deeper draft, and has done nothing but continue to improve since being drafted. A second round stud. And that's nothing against Davidsson who is a very good player in his own right.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
In my humble opinion, Asplund is The better player right now, and possibly going forward. He was a potential first rounder in what was viewed as much deeper draft, and has done nothing but continue to improve since being drafted. A second round stud. And that's nothing against Davidsson who is a very good player in his own right.

I think Asplund could be the asset which lands Buffalo a top tier D, not Reinhart. I think Asplund will develop into a blue chip prospect this year in the SHL, and GMBOT will use him as part of a trade for a defender. Possibly in a package for Trouba, or someone like him.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I think Asplund could be the asset which lands Buffalo a top tier D, not Reinhart. I think Asplund will develop into a blue chip prospect this year in the SHL, and GMBOT will use him as part of a trade for a defender. Possibly in a package for Trouba, or someone like him.
I think that's absolute insanity. Top Tier D don't get traded unless for Top Tier Centers. I think you're also using blue chip prospect a little loosely. To me a blue chip prospect is someone like Mittlestadt, someone with PPG potential.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

He will never produce like Reinhart for one. For two you aren't getting a top tier D with Asplund as anything but the third or fourth biggest piece. He's not a top 6 player.

I love him but let's be real.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think that's absolute insanity. Top Tier D don't get traded unless for Top Tier Centers. I think you're also using blue chip prospect a little loosely. To me a blue chip prospect is someone like Mittlestadt, someone with PPG potential.

He will never produce like Reinhart for one. For two you aren't getting a top tier D with Asplund as anything but the third or fourth biggest piece. He's not a top 6 player.

Second round picks develop into blue chip prospects. If Asplund scores as suggested in the SHL, that's equal or better than a NA prospect league ppg pace. It's a projection, but it's far from insane. Asplund was projected to be a first rounder, remember, and players develop from the 2nd round. ROR, case in point.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

He'll fill the Compher slot.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Second round picks develop into blue chip prospects. If Asplund scores as suggested in the SHL, that's equal or better than a NA prospect league ppg pace. It's a projection, but it's far from insane. Asplund was projected to be a first rounder, remember, and players develop from the 2nd round. ROR, case in point.
Blue Chip prospects are ones with PPG potential in the NHL not their Junior league. We're talking the guys taken in the top 10 of their drafts. I just don't see Asplund as being a blue chip prospect unless he takes a tremendous leap. Someone like Oskar Lindblom isn't even a blue chip prospect.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Ooooo fun. Let's now have a heated debate as to what "blue chip prospect" means to each of us.

:biglaugh:

We could debate byslma, murray or lehner some more I reckon?

So if asplund is the Compher equivalent does nylander (zads), asplund (compher), a 2nd, plus a Grigs level add etc move the needle for anyone on a Trouba/hanifan type trade ala the ror trade?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Ooooo fun. Let's now have a heated debate as to what "blue chip prospect" means to each of us.

:biglaugh:
We could just make 99% of our posts sarcastic quips like this or talk about prospects and not even know what position they play.

We could debate byslma, murray or lehner some more I reckon?

So if asplund is the Compher equivalent does nylander (zads), asplund (compher), a 2nd, plus a Grigs level add etc move the needle for anyone on a Trouba/hanifan type trade ala the ror trade?
I do think Asplund is a better prospect than Compher at the same respective stages of their development but Compher had that monster D+2 season with Connor. And to continue with the blue chip talk, that monster season still didn't make him anywhere near a blue chip prospect.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe

Why are we trying to trade Asplund? He is projecting as an exceptional 3C that would also likely not command a very high cap as he likely won't be a very high points scorer in the NHL. That's exactly the sort of player we need to keep.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Why are we trying to trade Asplund? He is projecting as an exceptional 3C that would also likely not command a very high cap as he likely won't be a very high points scorer in the NHL. That's exactly the sort of player we need to keep.

Because C is an organizational strength. We shouldn't by *trying* to trade him but if we can get an impact defenseman he's obviously on the table.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Blue Chip prospects are ones with PPG potential in the NHL not their Junior league. We're talking the guys taken in the top 10 of their drafts. I just don't see Asplund as being a blue chip prospect unless he takes a tremendous leap. Someone like Oskar Lindblom isn't even a blue chip prospect.

I don't think you can gauge potential based on draft pick. If Asplund plays well in a men's league this coming season, his value is going to rise.

Conversely, he isn't playing in the NHL yet, so he is still a prospect who teams project into an NHL future. While he currently may project as a 3C, a big year in the SHL could convince a team that he's more. Center prospects are high demand people. In a package, he could be the centerpiece of a trade.

To all, this is a projection and prediction. Among many on this board.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Because C is an organizational strength. We shouldn't by *trying* to trade him but if we can get an impact defenseman he's obviously on the table.

Fair enough but if we want to pair up say Casey, Jack and Sam on a terrifying for any opposition line and ROR with Okposo on the 2nd line, Asplund can anchor a third line. Maybe Larsson/Girgs show they can be elite 3Cs too, but I have a feeling Asplund become the better players of them 3. So I'd be up for trading Girs/Larsson first, Asplund after. All that is hypothetical and if our D sucks yet again this I will start throwing Sam and Rasmus in trade proposals anyway :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad