Prospect Info: Rasmus Asplund (2016, 33rd) –- Loaned to Vasteras (HockeyAllsvenskan)

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
O'Reilly played in the NHL right out of the draft, so that would already make Asplund really really really far behind your lofty expectations. To me he looks like a carbon copy of Larsson without the bulldog frame.

Asplund has better vision and hands than Larsson. Also, speed/skating isn't even close. He's a much better skater than Larsson. Larsson lacks in skill and is all hard work and two-way game. Asplund has two-way game with some pretty good abilities along with it.

I agree the mention of O'Reilly potential is way too lofty but he's a better prospect than Larsson was. That doesn't mean he'll necessarily become much better than Larsson but he projects to be quite a bit better.

I wish he was coming over to center the top line in Rochester, and could potentially get a call up. But shouldn't be an issue in terms of his development.

He's probably ready for AHL competition but maybe it's better for him to keep him away from that **** show in Rochester.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Asplund will stay in Sweden and Färjestad next year. Will not be given an ELC as Sabres want to save a contract spot against the 50, and no need for an contract as he will not play i NHL or AHL. Interview in Swedish.

http://www.vf.se/ishockey/asplunds-gladjebesked/

Not a problem with him playing another season in the SHL but disappointing, he had been negotiating a deal with Tim, would have come to training camp and probably gone to Rochester. During last season there was an interview with him in a Swedish publication and he was hopeful he'd be in North America in 17-18.

How many contracts of the 50 we're allowed are we at now?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Not a problem with him playing another season in the SHL but disappointing, he had been negotiating a deal with Tim, would have come to training camp and probably gone to Rochester. During last season there was an interview with him in a Swedish publication and he was hopeful he'd be in North America in 17-18.

How many contracts of the 50 we're allowed are we at now?
We only have 29. Doesn't include our 9 RFAs, not all of whom will get QOs. So we have between 35-38, before addressing roster needs.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
He is 19 - his contract slides.

But it would count as a professional year if he was loaned back to Sweden if the next expansion draft comes up in 2020. That is why Ullmark is exposed this year. If he is staying in Sweden, I agree not signing him even off it does slide.

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014
I know it's really not alarming, but after Vesey last year (even though he wasn't ours to begin with), and Petersen this year (even though he still may sign), I've become such a worrisome pessimist in regards to our draftees wanting to sign here with us.

Breathe in... breathe out... breathe in...

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I know it's really not alarming, but after Vesey last year (even though he wasn't ours to begin with), and Petersen this year (even though he still may sign), I've become such a worrisome pessimist in regards to our draftees wanting to sign here with us.

Breathe in... breathe out... breathe in...

I've stopped caring...if he wants to be here, that's great. If he doesn't, that's fine too. Goalies can always be replaced.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
He is 19 - his contract slides.
It would slide, but it would count against the 50 contract limit anyway (only 18 and 19 year olds who are returned to juniors don't count).

But it would count as a professional year if he was loaned back to Sweden if the next expansion draft comes up in 2020. That is why Ullmark is exposed this year. If he is staying in Sweden, I agree not signing him even off it does slide.
This is incorrect. An 18 or 19 year old has to play 10 NHL games. Ullmark played a year in Sweden as a 20 year old while signed to an NHL SPC. A 20 year old just needs to play games in any league while signed to an SPC.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
It would slide, but it would count against the 50 contract limit anyway (only 18 and 19 year olds who are returned to juniors don't count).

This is incorrect. An 18 or 19 year old has to play 10 NHL games. Ullmark played a year in Sweden as a 20 year old while signed to an NHL SPC. A 20 year old just needs to play games in any league while signed to an SPC.

Interesting. I never knew that.

For anyone that can translate the article, did the article plain get that wrong then?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I always kinda envisioned him as that gritty 3/4th line centre, but I am not starting to think he's going to be a better player than that. I wonder if there's a legit shot of him being a No.2 C, I view him as more of a top 6 prospect then a bottom 6 guy now.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I always kinda envisioned him as that gritty 3/4th line centre, but I am not starting to think he's going to be a better player than that. I wonder if there's a legit shot of him being a No.2 C, I view him as more of a top 6 prospect then a bottom 6 guy now.

I think he could become a #3 Center or a top 6 role player if he develops well.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

I couldn't have possibly been more impressed with Asplund than I was today. He's going to be an exceptional player for us.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Kris Baker‏ @SabresProspects - Praising Asplund will never get old. He earns every inch he gets on the ice and every ounce of respect from scouts. Big year ahead.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Kris Baker‏ @SabresProspects - Praising Asplund will never get old. He earns every inch he gets on the ice and every ounce of respect from scouts. Big year ahead.

Neat, I didn't know he had been in Buffalo working out for 3 weeks before development camp. He's going to be a Sabre soon, one more year in the SHL and I think half a season in Rochester.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Is there a chance he could make the sabres out of camp this year, or is he 100% committed to the SHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->