Value of: Rasmus Andersson

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Well, given Conroy's trading quote unquote prowess, a slightly more realistic deal for Andersson would probably end up being something like:

Conditional 2026 1st* + Norwin Panocha + Nikita Novikov + 2025 3rd

*Conditions on the first: IF March 7th, 2026 is a sunny day with no wind in Buffalo AND there's snow on the roads in Calgary, the Sabres will keep their 2026 1st round pick and send their 2027 1st round pick to Calgary. However IF the Sabres don't feel like sending their 2027 1st AND the forecast suggests rain on September 22nd, they can choose to send their 2028 1st.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
lol
Could I please have one of the top RD in the league on a great contract for this collection of perfumed garbage?
Andersson is one of the top RD in the league now?

Maybe in the top 20...

He's a river boat gambler that trades defence for offence. Puts up good point totals because Calgary lacks anyone else that can play on the PP.

When he gets traded he'll just be another top four guy.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
I don't think Calgary would trade him. He is likely the next captain, and you can't just trade everyone lol.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I don't think Calgary would trade him. He is likely the next captain, and you can't just trade everyone lol.
Yeah at this point, even with the Huberdeau contract, the Flames will be well below the cap floor. And it’s not like UFAs are going to be eagerly offering their services to the Flames. They need to keep a few vets around if they can.

EDIT: Actually they’re over the floor so they’ll be fine for next season anyway.

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Do not see him traded.

Under heading of 'putting so much on the table...' I am not sure NYR has currency/available assets to go there.

Ras is young enuf and checks off the boxes,
with understanding this is what Rs offer might look like were one welcomed,
and w/no higher level pivot available.

Rs offer
Gabe Perreault, Lindgren, 2024 + 2025 1sts, Sykora
for
Ras + CGY 2nd 2025 and 2026

something like that

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Andersson is one of the top RD in the league now?

Maybe in the top 20...

He's a river boat gambler that trades defence for offence. Puts up good point totals because Calgary lacks anyone else that can play on the PP.

When he gets traded he'll just be another top four guy.
Top 10 easily. He's the 9th leading scorer for RHD over the past 3 years despite missing time when he got hit by a car and he's a better defender unquestionably than all but 4 of the guys ahead of him (even 3 of those 4 it's debatable). There aren't that many good RHD in the league.

Do not see him traded.

Under heading of 'putting so much on the table...' I am not sure NYR has currency/available assets to go there.

Ras is young enuf and checks off the boxes,
with understanding this is what Rs offer might look like were one welcomed,
and w/no higher level pivot available.

Rs offer
Gabe Perreault, Lindgren, 2024 + 2025 1sts, Sykora
for
Ras + CGY 2nd 2025 and 2026

something like that
I don't get why the Rags need him honestly. Perreault is a brutal skater, but he's a wizard with the puck and is almost a lock to be a top 6 player and has top line potential. I noticed the 1sts barely matter though since our 2nds will only be 10 picks behind those 1sts. Makes the offer look better than it is at first glance.

Reactions: bernmeister

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Top 10 easily. He's the 9th leading scorer for RHD over the past 3 years despite missing time when he got hit by a car and he's a better defender unquestionably than all but 4 of the guys ahead of him (even 3 of those 4 it's debatable). There aren't that many good RHD in the league.

I don't get why the Rags need him honestly. Perreault is a brutal skater, but he's a wizard with the puck and is almost a lock to be a top 6 player and has top line potential. I noticed the 1sts barely matter though since our 2nds will only be 10 picks behind those 1sts. Makes the offer look better than it is at first glance.
Andersson isn't good defensively. That's just a story Flames fans tell themselves.

Just watch him crash and burn now that the Flames will be relying on him to shutdown the other teams top players.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rs RD is only Fox, Schneider, Trouba -- who is likely gonna be dealt to recover most of his 8m per cap hit.
So Ras is ideal fit here -- as he is almost everywhere.

Feel free to suggest tweak of a better offer along these lines.
Howev, Not sure what else Rs can afford to add.
2 1sts can only be as a trade down, can't afford to surrender outright
Not sure what remains on the roster isn't bone not fat and no spare pivots [Zib has full nmc]; can throw in Wennberg if that helps.

Expectation is Rs offer is competitive, but not prevailing in best currency

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Rs RD is only Fox, Schneider, Trouba -- who is likely gonna be dealt to recover most of his 8m per cap hit.

Not sure what remains on the roster isn't bone not fat and no spare pivots [Zib has full nmc]; can throw in Wennberg if that helps.

The offer isn't a bad one. The issue is the picks you're offering are all countered by picks coming back from us likely 10-15 picks later. It means you're essentially offering Perreault who I really like as a prospect, but projects as a winger which along with goaltending are the only positions we are set at. We currently have 11 guys who are or project as top 9 wingers. There's only 6 spots there for those 11 guys already. I like Perreault more than all but 1 of them, but it's not a need. We need Center prospects the worst and defense prospects 2nd most. The addresses neither need. We also only moderately improve our second round picks.

I'd sooner do a deal with a team that fits our needs better and additional picks added as opposed to just upgrading our 2nd round picks 10-15 spots.

Reactions: bernmeister

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Andersson isn't good defensively. That's just a story Flames fans tell themselves.

Just watch him crash and burn now that the Flames will be relying on him to shutdown the other teams top players.
His numbers say he is. Data doesn't care about your biases. He was a top 5 defensive D 2 seasons ago by every metric. He was top 10 one year ago by every metric. This year he hasn't been as strong defensively. Two of the last 3 seasons he's been elite defensively and this one he's been still pretty good.

This season Hanifin and Tanev took the hardest matchups. Last year they were pretty much split dead evenly. The year before Andersson had the hardest matchups.

You're just wrong at every turn. Not surprising. Oilers fans don't know or value anything defense related. They thought McDavid was a good defensive player. He never played D at all until Knoblauch.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
If I'm Buffalo's GM.........seeing as how Byram and Mitts just got swapped for each other:

2024 1st (top 1 protected)
Bo Byram
Choose one of: Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Peterka

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If I'm Buffalo's GM.........seeing as how Byram and Mitts just got swapped for each other:

2024 1st (top 1 protected)
Bo Byram
Choose one of: Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Peterka
I'd do that. Do you value Ostlund higher than those guys or lower? Most rankings have him lower than Kulich and Savoie. I'd take him ahead of those 2 because I think he'll play C even though he's less talented. If you value him higher I'm taking Savoie. At least there's a slight chance he could be a C.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'd do that. Do you value Ostlund higher than those guys or lower? Most rankings have him lower than Kulich and Savoie. I'd take him ahead of those 2 because I think he'll play C even though he's less talented. If you value him higher I'm taking Savoie. At least there's a slight chance he could be a C.
Ostlund is quite literally the only prospect the Sabres have that absolutely profiles to an NHL center. Savoie MIGHT be a center, but likely not.

And if we're trading our 2024 1st, we wouldn't have the chance to replace him in the system quickly. If you want Ostlund, then there would need to be more protection on the 2024 1st.

Otherwise, I'm fine with trading Savoie.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The offer isn't a bad one. The issue is the picks you're offering are all countered by picks coming back from us likely 10-15 picks later. It means you're essentially offering Perreault who I really like as a prospect, but projects as a winger which along with goaltending are the only positions we are set at. We currently have 11 guys who are or project as top 9 wingers. There's only 6 spots there for those 11 guys already. I like Perreault more than all but 1 of them, but it's not a need. We need Center prospects the worst and defense prospects 2nd most. The addresses neither need. We also only moderately improve our second round picks.

I'd sooner do a deal with a team that fits our needs better and additional picks added as opposed to just upgrading our 2nd round picks 10-15 spots.
fair 'nuf
Rs cannot afford outright picks, can only do downgrade
Sorry, no pivot available

I would do something around Shesty if you moved Mark and wanted a replacement.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't think they'll move on from Razzy.
His contract will be up when Backlund is done, and it wouldn't surprise me any if they put the C on him and give him an 8x8+ to finish up his career here. I know he's beloved in the room too.

You don't have to trade every single player out in your retool/rebuilds. In fact, history has shown that it's far more of a crapshoot if you burn it all down than if you leave some decent players behind.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Is New York retaining 50% and then still paying to dump the trouba contract?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Ostlund is quite literally the only prospect the Sabres have that absolutely profiles to an NHL center. Savoie MIGHT be a center, but likely not.

And if we're trading our 2024 1st, we wouldn't have the chance to replace him in the system quickly. If you want Ostlund, then there would need to be more protection on the 2024 1st.

Otherwise, I'm fine with trading Savoie.
Yeah I hear you. True centers are hard to come by. I agree with your assessment on Ostlund and Savoie. I see Ostlund as a very high probability center, although I think he profiles middle 6. I see Savoie as top 6 but unlikely to play C. I'd be fine with any of the prospects you listed except Rosen honestly. Just when I watched him he didn't have enough 2 way and competitiveness in his game for me. Plenty of skill, but I question if that skill will play at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad