Confirmed with Link: Rask signed

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
tumblr_ln9zlkEIPU1qjxmlro1_250.gif

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Love Rask, but that's alot of $$$ and the term is too long (I hate anything over 4 yrs).

What happens if he suffers some weird injury or something in year 2 and never plays the same again (Jim Carey or Andy Raycroft ring a bell?)...

you cant risk losing him though, he already did he bridge "prove it" contract he wasnt going to do it again. he proved himself, so you pay or let him go. Bruins did the right move

Afam*

I'm sorry but I'm going to show him now on leading up to lord Stanley and winning it. I'm not paying that goalie that much money to not win a cup.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Bruins take Bourque to arbitration: "Harry Sinden is cheap".

Bruins sign the best goaltender in the league: "Peter Chiarelli is insane".

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Is the money insane? Yep.

Is it a lot of years? You bet.

I'm not surprised by the term or the cap hit, and sure, I wish he had signed for 5 mil per, but that just wasn't going to happen.

Has he earned that contract? I don't know. I think there is always risk with any contract, and I think there is always more to prove, but ultimately it comes down to how you feel about the player. I'm sure Chia is doing a fair amount of projecting here, which is what you have to do with any contract.

He hasn't played a full season, but he happens to be an RFA after this season, which just happened to be lockout. So at this point, Chia has to evaluate and project, and determine if this is the guy going forward. I say he is, and apparently Chia does as well.

Am I 100% certain that this deal will work out? No. But I feel pretty good about it. He's still getting better, and I don't think this deal will seem that ridiculous in a few years when there is much more room under the cap and goalies are getting bigger deals than this.

TheBigZ

Dec 18, 2007
Dallas, TX
www.hfboards.com
waayyy to long, he will NEVER live up to this contract, unless he is a vezina winner or finalist every year and this team makes the stanley cup 3 or 4 times during the contract.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
He's worth the $7M, that's elite goalie money and he proved he is an elite goalie. Not a big fan of the 8 years at all but it's safer than giving Bergeron and his closing in on double digit concussions 8 years like we are about to.

Unfortunately, looks like with these max years, guys are really going to be pushing for the max years when you look at recent contracts handed out. Pay up or lose your players...your call.

EastCoastNiner

Nov 21, 2008
It's amusing how many people are mad about this contract.

I bet the vast majority of you that didn't want to give him this contract were the same people saying during the regular season that you would rather pay Rask after he proves himself in the playoffs, which he did.

The same people *****ing now are the same people (for the most part) that would have been *****ing if Chia signed Rask during the regular season to a similar, but cheaper extension.:laugh:.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Is everyone going to whine and cry when Bergeron signs for 6.5M??

Well, Bergeron is the best two-way forward in the game, has been here a decade, and is a tad bit proven.

Rask is not the best goalie in the league, has not been here a decade, and is quite unproven (never played a full season + playoff run). What if he gets another nagging groin injury? He doesn't seem the most durable yet either.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Myers is making 12,000,000 and people complain about Rask finally getting paid??

Rask locked up long-term is a great thing.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Clearly people don't remember the revolving door of **** goalies before Thomas came here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad