Confirmed with Link: Rask signed

redsox7327

Sep 10, 2011
Bad job by Chiarelli. Most money ever given in world history to a hockey player who has never played a full season.

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Not happy about it, the term or the price. What has he done to prove he's worth this? Let's see how he plays as Chara declines and retires. Hoping that he'll prove to be worth the money but, my god, what is Chiarelli doing?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Gross.

Basically Chara/Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos money for a goalie who has only played one complete season?

edit: Correction, higher than Chara money, and he has never played a single full season as a number 1. Our young, unproven goalie, who has never played a full season in his career, is now they highest paid player on the team, higher than our Captain and franchise player(s).

Love the kid, but this is terrible, and is going to **** us for years... even if he lives up to the contract.

This. Chiarelli needs to learn from his few mistakes, ie Peverley and Kelly.

This could potentially be brutal, and unless Tuukka proves himself to be the undisputed #1 or #2 goalie in the NHL, this is bad overpayment.

2 half seasons as a starter... my God. :amazed:

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
We have been getting Rask on the cheap for years, now it's payback time, he proved he could excel as the #1 guy and handled the pressure really well so I have no problem with the big contract, it's been earned.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Little too much for my liking. We had people complaining about Tuukka's bad play during a stretch of games last season, I can only imagine he'll be under the microscope a lot more now with him being the highest paid goaltender in the league.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
This deal isn't as crazy as it seems. I don't like the length, but its on par with the CBA and post-lockout goalie market. I just hope he continues his strong play.. both he and Chiarelli's fan approval depend on it.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
We have been getting Rask on the cheap for years, now it's payback time, he proved he could excel as the #1 guy and handled the pressure really well so I have no problem with the big contract, it's been earned.

hard to say he has completely proven that when the most games he has played in the regular season is 45. I'm happy he is locked up but I really thought Tuuka could have done some negotiating and gotten this down to at least 6.5 a year.

viiggen

Sep 26, 2009
Luleå
Whats up with long contracts? 8yr, thats good! But 7m caphit, i dont know.. Im glad Rask is signed when he is in his best age as goalie.

redsox7327

Sep 10, 2011
I can see Rask getting traded in a few years once Subban and Svedberg are ready. So as long as Rask performs for the next few seasons and Svedberg and Subban continue to develop, the Bruins will be in a great position.

westernhome

Sep 21, 2011
wow, always making fun of gms making bryz and Roberto deals and being stuck a couple years later

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I just don't get how, most RFA's are given little leeway with negotiations; see these contracts to Alzner and Hamonic recently, or even Brad Marchand. Then see Tuukka and Seguin.... what is Chiarelli thinking sometimes, I wonder.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Amazed at how many people in this thread didn't watch the playoffs.

Guy's contract came due at the right/wrong time. Deal.

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
This deal isn't as crazy as it seems. I don't like the length, but its on par with the CBA and post-lockout goalie market. I just hope he continues his strong play.. both he and Chiarelli's fan approval depend on it.

The deal isn't crazy at all.

It is market value. Literally what it costs to sign a top 5 goalie. Like it or not.

Was just hoping these guys would think about the team a little bit with hopes of winning a cup.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Love the player, hate the deal, but understand the deal.

For such a long contract, I would have loved to see it around 5, maybe 6. 7 is a lot of coin, although if the cap keeps going up, and player salaries keep inflating the way they have (I think we've all noticed that the once low $3 million range players are now commanding $4-4.5 million), then this contract might not start to look so bad.

Afam*

Tied with being the highest paid goalie comes with a different expectation. He has to prove he is worth the money being paid too him now. not good.

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
Love Rask, but that's alot of $$$ and the term is too long (I hate anything over 4 yrs).

What happens if he suffers some weird injury or something in year 2 and never plays the same again (Jim Carey or Andy Raycroft ring a bell?)...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad