Boston Globe Rask or Khudobin: Who gets the nod for Bruins against Tampa Bay?

Rask or Khudobin: Who gets the nod for Bruins against Tampa Bay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Rask or Khudobin: Who gets the nod for Bruins in next game? - The Boston Globe

Coach Bruce Cassidy will have the next two days to figure whether Rask or Khudobin will be the starter here Wednesday night vs. the Lightning.

“He needs a win, he wants a win,” said Cassidy, reviewing Rask’s work for the night. “He’s a goalie. They are judged on their wins and losses, generally speaking. It would help him a lot to get offense. Having said that, we are not a 4-5-6 goal team. Most nights we are in that three area. When we get to three, we’re usually OK. We didn’t get there tonight, unfortunately.”

Tazz

Oct 4, 2017
You go with RASK and see how he responds. It's not so much what happens to you, it's how you respond that matters. I have a gut feeling RASK is wallowing in self pity and not taking ownership for his less then expected performance and 7 million a year salary to boot. Should the team play well in front of him and if he has another sub-par outing, he has nobody to blame but himself.

Reactions: StrBender

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Tampa will be on a back to back, so the Bruins should put some goals on the board if they get Marchand back.
Maybe starting Rask isnt a bad idea. I think he just needs to get some W's.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
You go with RASK and see how he responds. It's not so much what happens to you, it's how you respond that matters. I have a gut feeling RASK is wallowing in self pity and not taking ownership for his less then expected performance and 7 million a year salary to boot. Should the team play well in front of him and if he has another sub-par outing, he has nobody to blame but himself.

Yup, it's just a feeling based off of his past but I agree with this.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I'll be blown away if Khudobin is the starter in April, for now he is getting the wins so I give him the next start. I'm not in the camp of play him until he loses because if he burns out and has trouble getting his groove back and we have to rely exclusively on Rask I'd be more concerned.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I voted for Tuukka. He was far from the problem last night. A win against Tampa would be huge for him, imo.

That said, Khudobin is deserving of a start vs a top team. He's been very good. Personally, I think goaltending is the least of our problems.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Remember when Brian Boucher had 5 shutouts in a row, remember when the "Hamburgler" went on a crazy streak to finish the season.

Just goes to show you any professional can go on a hot streak, ride the hot streak until it is over then go back to old faithful in Rask.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I voted for Rask, but honestly, I couldn't care less who starts. There's plenty of good reasons for Khudobin, too. At this point, there's not much difference between the two.

To me, the tie breaker is that we need to eventually figure out a way to get Rask back to being Rask. Does it mean he needs more rest, or more time in the net? Does he need to learn on the sidelines, or does he need action? I think he's had his fill of door duty, and he's had enough rest. He wasn't bad enough last night to deserve a demotion.

But, yeah, we ultimately lost, and a goalie does need to have games where there are fewer than 3 goals...so Khudobin on Wednesday's fine by me, even if a lot of those goals last night weren't Rask's fault at all.

The real test will be who's the better goalie when we're at full strength.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
this is honestly really difficult for any of us to answer. I feel like the real problem is that the team plays so much worse in front of Rask (tho Dobby has been much better). Only the guy taking the temperature of the locker room can say which goalie gives him a better chance to win right now. If I'm Cassidy I'd be having a heart to heart with the team trying to figure out what the hell needs to happen for them to give Rask the same effort they give Dobby.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I voted for Rask, but honestly, I couldn't care less who starts. There's plenty of good reasons for Khudobin, too. At this point, there's not much difference between the two.

To me, the tie breaker is that we need to eventually figure out a way to get Rask back to being Rask. Does it mean he needs more rest, or more time in the net? Does he need to learn on the sidelines, or does he need action? I think he's had his fill of door duty, and he's had enough rest. He wasn't bad enough last night to deserve a demotion.

But, yeah, we ultimately lost, and a goalie does need to have games where there are fewer than 3 goals...so Khudobin on Wednesday's fine by me, even if a lot of those goals last night weren't Rask's fault at all.

The real test will be who's the better goalie when we're at full strength.
Rask has to find a way to get his team in front of him to play better.

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
It should be Rask so he can get back to his game. On the other hand Dobby has played well enough and deserves the shot. Either goalie will be upset with the decision.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins are fast approaching a crossroads with Rask

Tuukka Rask took the ice at TD Garden on Sunday afternoon with the Bruins riding a season high four-game winning streak, largely courtesy of his backup, Anton Khudobin. He left it as a hard-luck 4-2 loser to the previously struggling Edmonton Oilers, as his teammates put on their worst performance in recent memory.
Coincidence? Maybe not.

Even the most ardent Rask supporter can see that the Bruins play differently in front of Khudobin than they do in front of Rask. They seem more relaxed, more on top of their game, more eager to fight for a win. On the other hand, when the Formerly Fabulous Finn is between the pipes, they often times seem disengaged and unwilling to do the little things it takes to get two points in today’s NHL.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad