OT: Raptors/NBA Return to Play

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Not too hardcore or anything. My Aunt is a huge Raptors fan though and she really got me into it during their championship run, and with the Oilers out of the picture again, I'll be following closely this year too.

Honestly I don't know how you manage to follow hockey, basketball, football, baseball, and soccer. I don't have the time or mental capacity for that lol.

It “helps” when all the teams you follow in those sports don’t regularly play deep into the postseason. :laugh:

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
It “helps” when all the teams you follow in those sports don’t regularly play deep into the postseason. :laugh:
That would just make it worse. So much frustration and disappointment. Like imagine following the Edmonton Oilers in five different sports.

Didn't Toronto FC win something recently though?

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That would just make it worse. So much frustration and disappointment. Like imagine following the Edmonton Oilers in five different sports.

Didn't Toronto FC win something recently though?

Yes, few years ago. The Raps win last year helped a bit to make me forget the last ten plus years of Oilers hockey.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
What was your issue with the DeRozan era?

Though I wasn't asked, I always felt DeRozan was a great player and teammate, but didn't have it in him to be that clutch performer that wins you multiple series' and ultimately championships.

The biggest gain they got out of having a year of Leonard is that all the players learned the difference between being a good player vs. being a winner and it appears most of the players remember what that difference is.

It's also tough to tell if Nurse may actually be the difference as well. Casey as good as he was, always seemed to let them off the hook for losing series because they were still learning. We didn't hear any of that last year.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That Porzingis ejection makes NHL refs look tame. Almost.
I watched most of this game but missed the Porzingis ejection. From what I did see though, Porzingis wasn’t very good. Still don’t see what the fuss was all about with this player. Luka Doncic on the other hand, wow, that guy can do anything.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Though I wasn't asked, I always felt DeRozan was a great player and teammate, but didn't have it in him to be that clutch performer that wins you multiple series' and ultimately championships.

The biggest gain they got out of having a year of Leonard is that all the players learned the difference between being a good player vs. being a winner and it appears most of the players remember what that difference is.

It's also tough to tell if Nurse may actually be the difference as well. Casey as good as he was, always seemed to let them off the hook for losing series because they were still learning. We didn't hear any of that last year.
I loved Derozan as a player but think the best thing Ijiri has done for the Raptors was trading him. I think you’re spot on with your assessment of Derozan. He didn’t have it in him to lead or perform in clutch situations. That Casey felt the need to bench him in the fourth quarter of that must win game 3 against the Cavs spoke volumes about where that team was going with Derozan. Totally different air about the Raptors since those moves that summer.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What was your issue with the DeRozan era?
As has been said by others on here after, a good player, and a decent team, that could not get it done when it counted, and in some cases, flat out choked. After a while, that act gets stale and you start to play the blame game, and maybe move on to another team that has heart.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Ugly win but it still counts.

Yup. That was likely going to be their toughest one to win in the series with the situation for the Nets and them witnessing the upsets yesterday giving them hope to pull off the same.

But now getting smoked in Game 1 (twice really), then probably playing their best possible game in Game 2 and still losing probably kills any confidence they had at pulling off an upset. They could still squeak out a Game 3 win, but I doubt it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yup. That was likely going to be their toughest one to win in the series with the situation for the Nets and them witnessing the upsets yesterday giving them hope to pull off the same.

But now getting smoked in Game 1 (twice really), then probably playing their best possible game in Game 2 and still losing probably kills any confidence they had at pulling off an upset. They could still squeak out a Game 3 win, but I doubt it.

I think they could still win a game but it'll be tough from here on out.

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
The Toronto Raptors are not only one of the best teams in the NBA, but from the very top with Webster and Masai, to the scouting saff, and coaching group, they are premier organization.

Ujiri has built something incredible. He is a lock for the HOF.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
Shit. Lowry appears to have hurt his left ankle. Potentially horrible news, considering the history of left ankle injuries he has sustained.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad