Raptors Discussion: Raptors name Nick Nurse as new head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Celtics:
- Irving: Gifted shooter, only player we have that posts similar rates is Lowry, who is 6 years older than him. He is primed, but also struggles with injuries and lacks any cohesion on defence. When people say that the Celtics got to the ECF with their two best players injured, they also fail to see that those were their two weakest links on defence. They'll play a much more different game with him and Hayward on the court, and that might not be a good thing. And if people want to complain about Lowry being the best player/first option on a championship contender, I think you should have those same reservations with Irving.

- Brown: Vastly improved his shooting this year to where he can be considered an option, but he's still not a great ball handler and lacks the vision to create offence. Several of the Raptors youth outperformed him during the season, and much to his chagrin, he didn't actually manage to elevate his performance in the postseason despite posting higher totals.

- Tatum: Talented shooter, some might feel the need to praise the "history" he created as a rookie in these playoffs, but it's also evident that he was put into a much better position than historically great players (with many of the GOATs not making the postseason at age 20). I always saw him as the safest choice in the 2017 draft, but I'm also hung up on his ceiling. He was ISO heavy in college, and even on the Celtics it seemed to remain a common theme for him. Maybe he'll be Klay with better defence? That's probably the ceiling, but I'm also not so sure his shooting efficiency will ever reach that point.

- Rozier: Okay three point shot, mediocre playmaking skills, solid defence. I think he handled his role well once Irving got on the shelf, but he himself was badly exposed once met with the Cavs. He did a better job handling the ball in the playoffs, but I still think guys like FVV and Delon have shown better court vision thus far.

- Smart: Grit and defence are his calling cards, but he's so bad at everything else that I don't see any value in his overall game.

Nuggets:
- Jokic: I'm a big fan of Jokic, and there's really not much wrong in his game. Elite vision, able to extend to the three point line, presence on the glass. He's a beast face up and has good post moves, just not so great under the rim. Very underrated player.

- Murray: Shot well enough this season, but he's not a point guard and never should be a primary ball handler. He's also still incredibly green defensively. Since he's a Canadian kid I'll always root for him, but I don't think there's much left there ceiling wise.

- Porter Jr: Wildcard? I need to see him healthy and really don't know how his game plays since I haven't seen anything yet.

- Lyles: He has a face up game that at least came out this past season but he's still not a good enough athlete to handle defensive responsibilities at the 4. The way the game has transitioned, it's hard to see him improve in that aspect with his lack of athleticism and explosiveness.

- Harris: I feel like he's taken a bit of a step back with Murray getting more touches there. Still a dominant shooter, never will be a good defender, but he's a true shooting guard. Problem is so is Murray, and they're pigeonholing Murray into the PG spot when he's really not that type of player.

Pelicans:
- Davis: Future MVP? He should probably be leaving the Pelicans but I don't want him to go to the Celtics, for obvious reasons.

Bucks:
- Giannis: Only thing I'd say is he needs to work on his perimeter shooting in the worst way. I think he's elite in everything else, but not having that 3 as a weapon come playoff time will always hurt.

- Brogdon: Became overrated after a hot start in his rookie year, got exposed come playoff time. Not good defensively, can shoot though. He's kinda like the opposite of Powell, but still somehow the same value as a player.

- Parker: We're still talking about him? Man him and Wiggins were suppose to be the future LeBron/Melo. It didn't work out in the slightest. He's not a good player and will likely be grossly overpaid like Wiggins.

Jazz:
- Is it weird that Mitchell was the most overrated player this past season? I thought we were smarter than this, but a predominantly volume shooter that magically made a few dumb shots from almost half court because of his iso tendencies and lack of vision suddenly turned him into rookie of the year. Gobert is a beast though, should've won DPOY.

With regards to the 76ers, I'll take them all as a whole, because I think they have the most upside of any team. The major problem with them is obviously health, but also perimeter shooting, especially with Redick likely gone. They're such a weird case because they have two guys with broken shots, and their enigmatic centre has played 94 regular season games since being drafted four years ago.

I'd keep going but I think the Wolves, Lakers (as of now), and Pacers lack a depth of talent. As DJQ and myself have alluded to in the past, Raps were 9 deep in players with 1+ VORP. Minnesota had four, with a couple guys that they lean on in the minus, Pacers had four, and Lakers had five (with none over 2). Celts, 76ers, Rockets, and Jazz were the closest with six, though in the 76ers case two of their guys are free agents in Amir Johnson and JJ Redick.

The Raps have talent, much more than the bunch you listed. Obviously Giannis, Davis, Jokic, KAT, Simmons, Gobert, and Irving are better individuals, and likely Embiid and Tatum themselves, but I just see so much more potential value when it comes to Siakam, OG, Wright, and FVV over the others listed because of their overall games. The comments that I've read from Nurse too also speaks to optimism regarding JV and even Poeltl, and I think he'll really try to unlock and unleash a more creative and engaged system. You can say "Nurse isn't a new voice" and "the team has reached its ceiling" but Casey never spoke about innovation, and the need to try new things.

Good summary. I would only disagree on two players, Tatum and Jokic.

While many Celtics players are simply made to look better by their great system (ie Brown, Rozier), I think Tatum is a can't miss star. You've mentioned his shooting, but he's also athletic, long, fluid, with a nice first step and the star mentality.

On Jokic - while he's amazing offensively, he's one of the biggest defensive liabilities in the league (toss a coin between he and Towns). On defense he's slow and doesn't challenge shots at all.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Gary Harris' defensive stats

-Finished 13th in Deflections per game
-His on court DRTG is 107.5 (which would put Denver at 19th in the league), his off court DRTG is 110.6 (which would put Denver dead last in the league)
-Averaged as many SPG as he did Fouls per game and Turnovers per game (Only great defensive players have ever accomplished this) who guards the opponents' best perimeter player night in and night out

But yeah, he'll never be a good defender

On/Off Court Compare Advanced

Last edited:

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Who said we can't criticize DeRozan? He's an inefficient volume scorer that regressed to his previous normalcy whenever the team got in a hole. I do think his off court issues were having an impact on his performance though. How could they not with the levels of stress that he had to deal with?
While I do think his off court issues had a lot to blame, I do think under pressure he turns into hero ball derozan and sinks the team on the back of repeated fade away 20% jumpshots.

I think the team needs to move him and maybe lowry.

I'd try to work a DD/Kawri deal tbh.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
While I do think his off court issues had a lot to blame, I do think under pressure he turns into hero ball derozan and sinks the team on the back of repeated fade away 20% jumpshots.

I think the team needs to move him and maybe lowry.

I'd try to work a DD/Kawri deal tbh.

The Spurs would hang up the phone immediately if DeRozan is the centerpiece of a deal for Kawhi

I think DeRozan is simply an inefficient scorer who doesn't provide any defense and mediocre to below average playmaking ability. His calling card is averaging a high PPG

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I repeat how can a coach get fired the same year that he wins coach of the Year.

It's a regular season award. Sure, let's just be happy with 59 wins and get absolutely embarrassed in the 2nd round. Raps were trash all around in the 2nd round. The coaching was trash, the players were trash. Much easier to get rid of the coach. Should have been fired after the sweep to the Wiz 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: FifthLine

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
It's a regular season award. Sure, let's just be happy with 59 wins and get absolutely embarrassed in the 2nd round. Raps were trash all around in the 2nd round. The coaching was trash, the players were trash. Much easier to get rid of the coach. Should have been fired after the sweep to the Wiz 3 years ago.
It was Casey's fault that the Raptors played poorly in the playoffs?

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
It was Casey's fault that the Raptors played poorly in the playoffs?
Obviously theres blame to go around. But its on Casey and his staff for not making in game or in series adjustments to play effective basketball. It hasn't been an isolated issue either, it's been like this for a while.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
Everyone is missing the point about Casey. The team failed in this years playoffs. It was the fourth year in a row that the team couldn't do it. A change was necessary, not only for fan perception, but also, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. That being said, where does the change come from? Everyone assumes teams are lining up for Lowry, Derozan, Ibaka, JV. Where is the proof of this? Considering a lot of people are putting the blame on the poor performance of said players as being the reason for the lack of success, what makes you think anyone else wants one of the "chokers" on their roster? And if so, what kind of return could we get for such tainted assets. So, if you can't trade players, what else do you do? Masai was stuck. He had to do something and the only thing he had control over changing was the coach. It happens so often in sports. We sit on these boards and "play" GM based on video game logic, but in the real world, you need interest in players to trade them, especially for good value. So should we have just dumped our two time all-stars for scrap to just make a statement? Or maybe, we give them one more year with a new coach, and then cut our losses.

Reactions: mapleleafs34

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Of the two, moving DeRozan seems more conceivable. At 28, turning 29 in August, he’s younger than Lowry (32), makes less annually and plays a position that’s of greater need to most teams – meaning his market value is likely higher. He may also be more expendable. Although DeRozan proved adaptable last season, at least more so than many expected, Lowry still projects as being a better fit in Nurse’s system – predicated on three-point shooting and positional versatility on the defensive end.

Still, factoring in everything that would need to fall into place to make a blockbuster, franchise-altering type of deal work, the safe bet is on both DeRozan and Lowry remaining with the Raptors.

If Ujiri is looking to make a significant change to his roster, particularly in the starting lineup, a frontcourt shakeup is more likely.

Even after a season and a half, the Raptors are not sold on the Ibaka-Valanciunas pairing, according to team sources, believing both are better suited playing centre at this stage of their careers.

If it simply came down to preference, Toronto would gladly move on from Ibaka following his inconsistent 2017-18 season and disappointing playoff performance. However, finding a trade partner willing to absorb the $44.9 million he’s owed over the next two seasons would almost certainly require them to take back a bad contract, or cost them additional assets – picks or young players, something Ujiri may be reluctant to do after parting with a first and second-rounder to unload DeMarre Carroll’s contract a year ago.

The Raptors shopped Valanciunas last summer, only to find there was a substantial disparity between his market value and his internal value. Perhaps that gap has narrowed after the 7-footer’s strong campaign. The NBA is still trending away from traditional big men, but Valanciunas took steps towards becoming a more versatile player last season – adding a three-point shot and growing as a rim protector – and at 26-years-old there’s still room for improvement.

Last summer they would have been happy to merely dump his contract, helping them duck the tax, but now he could (and would probably need to) return an asset.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
It sure didn't take long for Casey to find another coaching job, I think the Raptors made a huge mistake.
As someone who lives closer to Detroit than Toronto... the Pistons are DESPERATE.

Everyone is missing the point about Casey. The team failed in this years playoffs. It was the fourth year in a row that the team couldn't do it. A change was necessary, not only for fan perception, but also, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. That being said, where does the change come from? Everyone assumes teams are lining up for Lowry, Derozan, Ibaka, JV. Where is the proof of this? Considering a lot of people are putting the blame on the poor performance of said players as being the reason for the lack of success, what makes you think anyone else wants one of the "chokers" on their roster? And if so, what kind of return could we get for such tainted assets. So, if you can't trade players, what else do you do? Masai was stuck. He had to do something and the only thing he had control over changing was the coach. It happens so often in sports. We sit on these boards and "play" GM based on video game logic, but in the real world, you need interest in players to trade them, especially for good value. So should we have just dumped our two time all-stars for scrap to just make a statement? Or maybe, we give them one more year with a new coach, and then cut our losses.

Teams are lining up for Ibaka? Unlikely. As the article above mentions, JV's the only one who might actually be tradeable without requiring a young player alongside him, without taking back a bad contract, and without forcing the Raptors to get hosed in a trade (because let's face it, no one is going to give them equal value to DD or Lowry, and that's assuming you can even agree on what that IS).

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
This is exactly what I was going to say.

After this year's playoffs change HAD to be made. And it's either fire the coach or shake up the roster. The easier thing to do is fire the coach. People need to understand that.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
It sure didn't take long for Casey to find another coaching job, I think the Raptors made a huge mistake.

If you actually watched the playoffs it was evident how much of an impact Casey actually had on the Raptors dismissal from them. He made some glaring mistakes, mistakes that can happen in the regular season but not when its do or die in the playoffs. No one is ever going to question that Casey did well in the regular season when playing a different team every night. But when it got to the playoffs he was to vulnerable against superior coaches and strategies. Him being fired was the right thing to do. And he wont be the last domino to fall.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
From what I hear as well, Casey had some terrible chemistry with the rest of his staff.

A major point of contention was how much freedom Casey gave to DD and Lowry, and we all know how much we hated hero ball playoff DD.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It's kind of funny to think back to the 2014 draft and the consternation from parts of the fanbase that the team couldn't/wouldn't/didn't move up to get Ennis (granted he went right before the Raptors' pick).

I know that a good part of the reason he was waived was that the Lakers are trying to clear the deck so they can go out and offer multiple max money deals to marquee FAs like George and LeBron, but still, Ennis hasn't exactly been anything more than a low-end backup (his per 36 minutes #s say he probably could be a serviceable full time backup at those rates, but his faults are still holding him back from getting those minutes otherwise he would be playing more.)

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Ennis has under performed in his career. All 3 of our PGs (Lowry, FVF, and Wright) are all rated higher.

This move from a Lakers perspective is exactly what others have posted, an opportunity to clear cap space for bigger splashes. Ennis shouldn't have an issue finding a home some place to be a backup. Just not in Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad