Rantanen vs Laine

Laine vs Rantanen

• Total voters

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
This is still Laine for me, if we're talking about the future. Rantanen right now obvs

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I voted Rantanen but I fully admit this poll has been timed where it's the least favourable it can be for Laine.

Recency bias, etc. Rantanen currently looks fantastic. Laine looks like...something else.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I voted Rantanen but I fully admit this poll has been timed where it's the least favourable it can be for Laine.

Recency bias, etc. Rantanen currently looks fantastic. Laine looks like...something else.

Even last Rants out scored Laine and overall looked like the better player to me. But I think anyone would be able to tell you, that this isn’t the true Laine playing rn.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

Yeah it’s actaullt pretty crazy, Laine is going through a slump rn and probably isn’t getting the respect he deserves just because of that while Rantanen has gotten to play with top line minutes beside a Top 5 Center and another great Winger for the past 2 seasons, we should judge from now on since Laine is being put in a similar situation after being promoted to the top line beside Scheifele and Wheeler(so we can actually give this a fair and more even estimate of who’s better offensively).

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah it’s actaullt pretty crazy, Laine is going through a slump rn and probably isn’t getting the respect he deserves just because of that while Rantanen has gotten to play with top line minutes beside a Top 5 Center and another great Winger for the past 2 seasons, we should judge from now on since Laine is being put in a similar situation after being promoted to the top line beside Scheifele and Wheeler(so we can actually give this a fair and more even estimate of who’s better offensively).

I think it’s pretty close between the two. Laine is clearly the better goal scorer and always will be; but rantanen brings such a well rounded offensive game that Laine doesn’t quite have. I don’t think you can really go wrong here, and it really comes down to how these two continue to develop over the next few seasons.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
These results are pretty comical. Laine already is or will be the best goal scorer in the league. That counts for something. No one counts Ovechkin's points against Hall's points or Benn's points. Rantanen is good, but goal-scorers should not be judged on their total number of points.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
He was so bad that game that I actually feel bad for jets fans.
He is looking worse right now than ever...seems he drags down any line he is on. He didnt use to be that player (only in very brief moment his rookie season then more hiz sophomore).

It sucks... he isent improving or playing anywhere close to his potential. And people wanted to compare this year to ovis rookie year. Lmao embarrasing

Reactions: DriveFor9th

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
These results are pretty comical. Laine already is or will be the best goal scorer in the league. That counts for something. No one counts Ovechkin's points against Hall's points or Benn's points. Rantanen is good, but goal-scorers should not be judged on their total number of points.

Laine isn't a threat like Ovy though.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
He is looking worse right now than ever...seems he drags down any line he is on. He didnt use to be that player (only in very brief moment his rookie season then more hiz sophomore).

It sucks... he isent improving or playing anywhere close to his potential. And people wanted to compare this year to ovis rookie year. Lmao embarrasing

I'll agree. He was on whole another level at time when he entered to the league.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Laine has a higher ceiling and his shooting is elite. What is going on with him this year though? I haven't watched Jets much this year but Laine seems to be struggling from the posts I have seen. I knew Rantanen would be a great player but he is turning into a star and a couple of years ago, it was was widely accepted that he would be a tier below Laine and Puljujärvi.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Laine has a higher ceiling and his shooting is elite. What is going on with him this year though? I haven't watched Jets much this year but Laine seems to be struggling from the posts I have seen. I knew Rantanen would be a great player but he is turning into a star and a couple of years ago, it was was widely accepted that he would be a tier below Laine and Puljujärvi.

Slow start....

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016

Well Laine already as an 18yo rookie had a better g/60 than Ovie and 20yo Ovie had almost twice the PP time. The only better rookie seasons goal-scoring-wise have been a 22yo Selänne and 20yo Mike Bossy (tad easier to score goals back then).

Not that embarrassing IMO. But yeah Laine is not looking great so far, but if history is anything to go by, I'm not throwing in the towel just yet. Completely different players anyway.

Laine of course is nowhere near the physical specimen that Ovie was at the same age, but if we forget looks and concentrate on results, it's damn impressive what Laine is doing. And you know with what an excellent line he's been playing with 5v5 to boot.

But this is OT.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad