Rantanen vs Laine

Laine vs Rantanen

• Total voters

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
so i guess claude giroux is the second best player in the NHL then, and tyson barrie is a top 3 dman

I mean according to Trevor van Riemsdyk is a top 3 dman. All according to your fun stats so...

That’s not to say their useless but sometimes they don’t tell the whole story.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
What stat do you prefer
Possession stats are meaningless at this point of the season. This dude Matthews has the fourth worst corsi out of Leafs forwards yet if you actually watch him play he's been a monster. Oh and he has 10 goals in 9 games. Corsis and fenwicks and whatevers will even out later in the season. With this little games played they don't tell anything.

Reactions: cgf

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I mean according to Trevor van Riemsdyk is a top 3 dman. All according to your fun stats so...

That’s not to say their useless but sometimes they don’t tell the whole story.
I mean top 3 in the league for Barrie, the poster I responded to seems to think points is all that matter

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Possession stats are meaningless at this point of the season. This dude Matthews has the fourth worst corsi out of Leafs forwards yet if you actually watch him play he's been a monster. Oh and he has 10 goals in 9 games. Corsis and fenwicks and whatevers will even out later in the season. With this little games played they don't tell anything.
You know what else will even out? Shooting percentages. Points this early on don’t mean too much either.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You know what else will even out? Shooting percentages. Points this early on don’t mean too much either.

Rantanens shooting percentage is 5% lower than his career average right now, plus he’s just overall improving from where he left off last season. I mean he obviously won’t end with a near 2ppg but 80-90 is completely in reach.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Rantanens shooting percentage is 5% lower than his career average right now, plus he’s just overall improving from where he left off last season. I mean he obviously won’t end with a near 2ppg but 80-90 is completely in reach.
whats his OISH% compared to career average

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
With Rantanen vs Laine?

If so Rants scored 84 last year.

Laines usage was much lower at almost 4 minutes less per game and he was in his D+2(Rantanen was in his D+3 and was also riding Shotgun to a Top 5 Center in the league). Also not to mention the fact Laine has a higher Career PPG and higher Career total P/60...

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Laines usage was much lower at almost 4 minutes less per game and he was in his D+2(Rantanen was in his D+3 and was also riding Shotgun to a Top 5 Center in the league). Also not to mention the fact Laine has a higher Career PPG and higher Career total P/60...

Rants hit 84 last season and looks to have improved from that and is making a case for being one of the best wingers in the game, he's easily better than Laine today.

Laine never had to feel a bottom like Rants had to with Colorado and he still was their best goal scorer as a rookie on that abysmal season.
He's easily earned the right to be compared with Laine and he's put Laine in a situation where Laine needs to show why he's better/should be ranked higher than Rants.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
10 games is early but I can see Rantanen scoring 80 points this season and Laine scoring 70

even though Laine is an unique player, objectively the difference in projected stats indicate Rantanen is better at this time

Reactions: Lemonlimey

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Laines primary Linemates and Usage:

Ehlers, Little

Roughly 16 and a half minutes per game

Rantanen as primary Linemates and Usage:

Mackinnon, Landeskog

Roughly 19 minutes per game

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009

Ehlers, Little

Mackinnon, Landeskog

the linemates and minutes are true but that doesn't take away the fact that Rantanen is excelling on a top 5 line in the league and with big minutes

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Rantanen always goes against the toughest matchups any team can put on the ice. Every team has the same game plan against the Avs, they try to shutdown the 1st line because there is not much after that. Obviously its not working.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010

Ehlers, Little

Mackinnon, Landeskog

I like both players but take Laine moving forward.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Ehlers, Little

Mackinnon, Landeskog

How about pp for Laine with Scheifele& Wheeler, are they horrible players?

With Mack Rants isn't getting sheltered, every team will focus on them game after game, I'm not sure Laine's 5on5 game is ready for that kind of focus.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Rantanen has found an extra gear even than last year. He is playing a power forward game. And it’s the best hockey from anyone on the Avs so far this season. These two should be tied, good poll, but people who think Rantanen isn’t still improving aren’t watching.

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad