Ranking the top-40 goaltenders by Goals Allowed Per Expected Goal Against

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The team you play on has a major effect in terms of how people view goaltending

Crawford was viewed as overrated since he was on stacked teams
Funny even though his team has turned for the worst, he's putting up respectable numbers. Now he's "underrated"...that's how the winds blow in fans' minds

I’ve had to read that bogus argument since 2013. Great players playing great makes a team great. The Hawks were so good for so long, and some years had a better record than they should’ve had, largely in part because Crawford was consistently very good to great.

All that says to me is that @JoVel doesn’t now and hasn’t prior watched many Hawks games.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
What is "expected GA"?? Sounds like one of those made up HFboards stats.

OP if you're going to use fake stats to make a ranking at least add your definition of it somewhere into your long post.

xGF and xGA (as well as xGF%) are all widely-adopted stats at this point. You can find how they're calculated with a quick google search.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
xGF and xGA (as well as xGF%) are all widely-adopted stats at this point. You can find how they're calculated with a quick google search.

Asked this in a previous thread, but I was curious what the "point" of xGF (or the player equivalent, xG) stat is? Is it to predict what that player will do going forward assuming the same chances? And how accurate, historically, has it been in doing so?

For example, if a player scores 40 goals in a season but his xG stat is 25, does that mean it's suggesting he'll only score 25 goals the next season given the same sort of chances?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Asked this in a previous thread, but I was curious what the "point" of xGF (or the player equivalent, xG) stat is? Is it to predict what that player will do going forward assuming the same chances? And how accurate, historically, has it been in doing so?

For example, if a player scores 40 goals in a season but his xG stat is 25, does that mean it's suggesting he'll only score 25 goals the next season given the same sort of chances?

Yeah, basically the model was built to try and improve on corsi as far as predicting future goals by introducing elements of 'shot quality'. Factors like distance, angle, shot type, deflections, if the shot was off the rush or off a cycle, if the shot was off a rebound, etc.

Expected Goals are a better predictor of future scoring than Corsi, Goals

Shot Quality And Expected Goals: Part I | Corsica

Shot Quality And Expected Goals: Part 1.5 | Corsica

Reactions: Raymoondo

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

It’s one way to look at which players/teams are over-/underperforming, which you can view during the season or in retrospect. I’m sure it’s conception was to serve a more elaborate and specific purpose, but that’s generally why I check them out.

0AB8D049224E4BD39AD6BC35AD366D8C-0:0

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Didn’t watch much of the post-season did you? Because that’s the only way I could see you came to the conclusion that he is a below average goalie.

In the playoffs, Rask would rank near the top by this metric.

PlayerTeamGA per xGA (NST)Ga per xGA (Corsica)*
Curtis McElhinneyCAR0.660.65
Robin LehnerNYI0.770.77
Tuukka RaskBOS0.810.69
Ben BishopDAL0.820.78
Philipp GrubauerCOL0.910.86
Marc-Andre FleuryVGK0.970.82
Mike SmithCGY0.970.91
Matt MurrayPIT0.980.83
Jordan BinningtonSTL1.010.95
Pekka RinneNSH1.020.94
Sergei BobrovskyCBJ1.060.99
Braden HoltbyWSH1.070.99
Petr MrazekCAR1.081.01
Martin JonesS.J1.080.97
Connor HellebuyckWPG1.091.03
Frederik AndersenTOR1.101.05
Andrei VasilevskiyT.B2.181.81
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

*Corsica's data set was missing all data from the Stanley Cup Finals. That is why I just ranked by the numbers from Natural Stat Trick.

No doubt, Rask had an excellent playoffs. However, it was pretty much out of the blue, and his regular season performances haven't been great. Think of his first 3 rounds as a hot streak and his Stanley Cup Finals performance as regression to the mean.

Reactions: romba

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Going against four years of performance because you thought he was impressive in a couple of playoff games is exactly why people use analytics.

The same analytics that led you to believe McIlrath is better than Fowler and a future top 4D?

Yeah, I’ll keep using my eyes.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The same analytics that led you to believe McIlrath is better than Fowler and a future top 4D?

Yeah, I’ll keep using my eyes.
Lmao.

The same analytics that show that Mike Smith was better than Andrei Vaselivski or that Brian Elliot outplayed Carey Price over the past 3 seasons.

Even the biggest analytic supporters admit it's not an exact science so I don't know why it's so hard to admit that if the results are wack, the underlying statistic probably is too.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Lmao.

The same analytics that show that Mike Smith was better than Andrei Vaselivski or that Brian Elliot outplayed Carey Price over the past 3 seasons.

Even the biggest analytic supporters admit it's not an exact science so I don't know why it's so hard to admit that if the results are wack, the underlying statistic probably is too.
My cat has outplayed Carey Price over the past 3 seasons.

He's 20th in sv% and 34th in GAA. That's "analytics" now?

Reactions: stopclickbait

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
My cat has outplayed Carey Price over the past 3 seasons.

He's 20th in sv% and 34th in GAA. That's "analytics" now?

Ok, so explain Vasilevski then. 4th in sv% and 6th in gaa.

Price is 11th out of 19 starters (min 145gp) for sv%. 8th/19 for GAA not great but still ahead of Brian Elliott.

Your cat (Lundqvist) was 15/19, and 18/19 for sv% and GAA.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ok, so explain Vasilevski then. 4th in sv% and 6th in gaa.

Price is 11th out of 19 starters (min 145gp) for sv%. 8th/19 for GAA not great but still ahead of Brian Elliott.

Your cat (Lundqvist) was 15/19, and 18/19 for sv% and GAA.
Vasilevskiy played for the team that had arguably the best regular season in the history of the sport.

Lundqvist is a below league average goaltender. Has been since probably 15-16.

Also, you don't go from 34th to 8th in GAA by adding a minutes filter so I don't know where those numbers came from.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Vasilevskiy played for the team that had arguably the best regular season in the history of the sport.

Lundqvist is a below league average goaltender. Has been since probably 15-16.

Also, you don't go from 34th to 8th in GAA by adding a minutes filter so I don't know where those numbers came from.

NHL.com - Stats

Also, this is over the past 3 seasons, cumulative. Tbl missed the playoffs in 16-17

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Lmao.

The results aren’t wack, though. They’re better than most results you’ll get from ranking players by purely statistics.

Go to NHL.com and rank forwards by points per game over the past 3 seasons with an 82 game minimum. I guarantee you that list will be less accurate than this one.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The results aren’t wack, though. They’re better than most results you’ll get from ranking players by purely statistics.

Go to NHL.com and rank forwards by points per game over the past 3 seasons with an 82 game minimum. I guarantee you that list will be less accurate than this one.
These results, in my humble opinion, are wack.

Reactions: Fantomas

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
NHL.com - Stats

Also, this is over the past 3 seasons, cumulative. Tbl missed the playoffs in 16-17

So Carey Price's middling numbers even when we filter out only guys who were starters all three seasons is the hill we're dying on?

Vasilevskiy also sucked that year. It's amazing how his numbers spiked with the best team in the league in front of him as opposed to a team that missed the playoffs.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
So Carey Price's middling numbers even when we filter out only guys who were starters all three seasons is the hill we're dying on?

Vasilevskiy also sucked that year. It's amazing how his numbers spiked with the best team in the league in front of him as opposed to a team that missed the playoffs.
So you're saying that you believe that Mike Smith, Cam Talbot and Jaro Halak have been better over the past three seasons than Rask, Vasi, and Price?

If your answer is anything other than "yes", what the hell are you doing defending this crazy stat/list?

If your answer is actually yes, please go on the record here and now stating so.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
NHL.com - Stats

Why not compare apples to apples and use the same 5,000 minute filter?

NHL.com - Stats

Price ranks 18th with a SV% of .915. Mike Smith ranks 27th with a SV% of .911. They are not very far apart there. If the guy with a .915 was playing behind a very good defense, while the guy with a .911 was playing behind a very weak defense, I don't think it's crazy to suggest that the guy with a .911 was better. I mean, seriously, that is not a big gap.

Look at the shots price faced over the past 3 years:

[URL='https://ibb.co/w7kqRTW']
Price1617.png
[/URL]

At even strength in particular, the high danger areas near the front of the net are all mostly blue, meaning he faces less than an average goalie from those areas. Meanwhile, the red spots, where he faces more than an average goalie, generally come from the perimeter. (The results on the PK are mixed.)

Now compare them to the shots that Mike Smith has faced:

That 2016-2017 Arizona defense in particular was meme worthy, and Smith posted a .914 SV% in front of them.

Can you not at least agree, that from what you see on these images, that the difference in the defense in front of them was clear as day? And can you not agree that if all else was equal, a goaltender posting the same exact numbers in Smith's skates would have performed better than a goaltender posting those numbers in Price's skates? Clearly, you can at least agree there, right? And you can agree that comparing the two side-by-side by save percentage, or even worse, goals against average, would be extremely unfair to Smith?

Now consider that their SV% is only .004% apart. For every 1,000 shots that they faced, Price stopped 4 more. That is 1 goal against per 250 shots, or roughly 1 extra goal against every 10 games.

Why is it so crazy to say that after adjusting for the defenses in front of them, Smith was actually a little better? You keep saying that it's crazy or "wack", but you haven't provided a reason as to why that is.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Going against four years of performance because you thought he was impressive in a couple of playoff games is exactly why people use analytics.
Remember where you are.

This is the land where the best way to judge a player is by what they've done lately, even if they were awful before their very recent surge.

Although, with Rask he seems to be rated more on what he did in his career up to 2015, but that playoff run this past Spring has also helped further fuel this notion that Rask is still an elite goalie the way he was through 2015.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So you're saying that you believe that Mike Smith, Cam Talbot and Jaro Halak have been better over the past three seasons than Rask, Vasi, and Price?

If your answer is anything other than "yes", what the hell are you doing defending this crazy stat/list?

If your answer is actually yes, please go on the record here and now stating so.

Vasilevskiy, I don't know. His numbers are outstanding but he seems to get hit harder than anyone by team impacts. He's a strange case.

Price and Rask have sucked the last three seasons, so yes. Rask, in particular, has been horrendous. Bad numbers on an exceptional defensive team. I'm honestly not sure what more Rask needs to do for people to stop thinking he's a great goaltender.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Remember where you are.

This is the land where the best way to judge a player is by what they've done lately, even if they were awful before their very recent surge.

Although, with Rask he seems to be rated more on what he did in his career up to 2015, but that playoff run this past Spring has also helped further fuel this notion that Rask is still an elite goalie the way he was through 2015.
It's so weird. Everyone openly acknowledges that it's the most volatile position ("goalies are voodoo!") but it's also the position where it takes like 7-10 years for opinions to change on a player, more so than any other position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad