Ranking all 31 Teams' Performances at the TDL

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I mostly skimmed through the article and looked at the teams who made significant moves, and I think that it’s very well-researched and well done.

- Good to see some honesty regarding Winnipeg. I think a D is too harsh and I think their blue line is better than you give it credit for, but I agree with the premise that they didn’t do great.

- Columbus at an E. That’s just not fair. By making the moves they did, they significantly increased their chances of re-signing all of their UFAs. Dzingel basically confirmed that he will re-sign and Duchene implied the same as well. A Stanley Cup could really push Bobrovsky and Panarin over the top of re-signing as well, and I think they’ve got a better shot at a Cup than you’re giving them credit for. I’m not against giving them a bad grade but an E is ridiculous.

- Vancouver did make a bad move. Trading Jonathan Dahlen for Linus Karlsson was a minor league move that you may have included on purpose, but that was very bad.
Agree with most but I liked the Vancouver trade. Dahlen is a perimeter player who is too slow to be an effective top 6 guy imo.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Vanek signed in Detroit for the sole purpose of not getting traded hence the NTC. He made it perfectly clear he didn't want to get traded before he signed the contract so thats why he didn't get moved. Wings fans knew this and never expected him to be moved.

Jensen got a 2nd which is what most said they wanted for him.

Nyquist was on par with similar wingers

@Maukkis
Well, I guess Vanek has had enough of moving out in March. Holland made his bed in giving Nyquist and Vanek their NTCs, me thinks.

As for Jensen, it is the pick swap that makes the deal worse. Gaining a pick is good, but in reality, swapping a second and a fifth is largely nothing. Then there's Bowey... I mean, if Reirden didn't get anything out of him, will Blashill manage that?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Well, I guess Vanek has had enough of moving out in March. Holland made his bed in giving Nyquist and Vanek their NTCs, me thinks.

As for Jensen, it is the pick swap that makes the deal worse. Gaining a pick is good, but in reality, swapping a second and a fifth is largely nothing. Then there's Bowey... I mean, if Reirden didn't get anything out of him, will Blashill manage that?
I disagree. I think a 2nd round pick is significantly better.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
So what do you suggest they should have gotten for him then?
Not giving a pick back or getting... say, a more promising prospect than Bowey. The latter is highly unlikely, given that Jensen was likely brought in to push Bowey out of the lineup.

That would be a start.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Not giving a pick back or getting... say, a more promising prospect than Bowey. The latter is highly unlikely, given that Jensen was likely brought in to push Bowey out of the lineup.

That would be a start.
so the 5th going back is what makes it a below average deal for the Wings?

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
ITT fans who got a bad grading (holy Columbus) protesting their bad rating

I commend your work OP.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Thought it was a little bit of a weird grade to give the Avs when they barely gave up anything for a possible 2C (or at worst, 3rd line winger) even if he is UFA, but hey it's your opinion! We desperately needed some center depth.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
OP's post is much better than the ESPN TDL grades article. Unlike the "experts" you aren't afraid to give the teams who clearly failed an 'F'.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Great post! Really appreciate the depth of the analysis and the methodology you used to evaluate the value of the deadline deals.

Re: Jets TDL, while I agree with all of your analysis I think a final grade of D is harsh. In essence the Jets TDL was Hayes and a bunch of minor moves, none of which will move the needle much either way. The Hayes deal itself I'd rate about a C/C+. He's an extremely solid player, but it's not as though the Jets got any kind of bargain. They basically paid the 'going rate' for an impactful TDL rental.

You're rightly critical of the Petan deal, but let's face it, he wasn't going to be any kind of factor in the playoffs barring mass forward injuries. It bumps the Jets grade down a little, though.

Overall I'd give the Jets TDL a C. Chevy did what needed to be done, but it wasn't a heist or even an overly impressive haul.

Reactions: Maukkis

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
@Maukkis - HF Brownie Points for a well-reasoned and well-researched article.

Those Columbus and Pittsburgh grades are atrocious.

Sure the Pens got a lousy project but they have a real need with 2 of their top dmen out, standing pat would have been worse.

Diddo for Columbus getting an E, they also didn't exactly give up the farm for a chance at a very good run.

Bob and Panarin basically forced their hand in this somewhat as well.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Those Columbus and Pittsburgh grades are atrocious.

Sure the Pens got a lousy project but they have a real need with 2 of their top dmen out, standing pat would have been worse.

Or they could've passed on Gudbranson and actually found value elsewhere?

Peter Puck

Sep 10, 2005
I'm having real trouble understanding how Tampa Bay gets an A, at least in relation to a number of other teams. TB did nothing and that was probably the right thing for them to do. But a number of other teams did nothing and it was the right thing for them to do as well, but they all got some sort of C.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Del Zotto is an upgrade over our 7th D-man Chris Butler

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Isl
I'm having real trouble understanding how Tampa Bay gets an A, at least in relation to a number of other teams. TB did nothing and that was probably the right thing for them to do. But a number of other teams did nothing and it was the right thing for them to do as well, but they all got some sort of C.
The offensively starved Islanders did nothing and got a B. The Flames who are in 2nd place in the league and have the 2nd best offense and a highly respected defense decide to just add a depth left side d-man, giving them 5 LD's to go with the 5 RD's that they already have, got a C grade. Go figure.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I would have probably done the same, but giving the Penguins an F is looking rather ridiculous right now.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Thought it was a little bit of a weird grade to give the Avs when they barely gave up anything for a possible 2C (or at worst, 3rd line winger) even if he is UFA, but hey it's your opinion! We desperately needed some center depth.
At least up to the moment of writing this, Brassard's season had been nothing short of a disaster. Hard to see the rationale behind such a move, even if a swap of late picks is basically giving up nothing.

I would have probably done the same, but giving the Penguins an F is looking rather ridiculous right now.
I bet this has a loooot to do with Gudbranson, right?

Even amidst the Penguins' annual liftoff, Gudbranson remains a negative GAR player. He has been that bad for years and represents nothing but a downgrade.

Isl

The offensively starved Islanders did nothing and got a B. The Flames who are in 2nd place in the league and have the 2nd best offense and a highly respected defense decide to just add a depth left side d-man, giving them 5 LD's to go with the 5 RD's that they already have, got a C grade. Go figure.
If you stay put, you get graded based on whether it makes sense or not. Usually, it does.

If you buy, you get graded based on the trades you made. That f***ing simple.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I bet this has a loooot to do with Gudbranson, right?

Even amidst the Penguins' annual liftoff, Gudbranson remains a negative GAR player. He has been that bad for years and represents nothing but a downgrade.

Not really familliar with the intracacies of GAR, but he has fantastic CF% rel so far with 57.6% D-zone starts. Had a 52.1 CF% against Washington the other day when we got outshot 30-42, leading our defenders in ES ice-time. As for the eye tests I'm pretty sure nearly every Penguins fan has liked him so far.

Althought you don't strike me as an easy guy to convince.

And then there's Bjugstad and McCann who have both been very impressive.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Not really familliar with the intracacies of GAR, but he has fantastic CF% rel so far with 57.6% D-zone starts. Had a 52.1 CF% against Washington the other day when we got outshot 30-42, leading our defenders in ES ice-time. As for the eye tests I'm pretty sure nearly every Penguins fan has liked him so far.

Althought you don't strike me as an easy guy to convince.

And then there's Bjugstad and McCann who have both been very impressive.
I recall an analyst alluding to Gudbranson being the most outscored defenseman over a certain time frame (couldn't find the specifics, but it was Garret Hohl who said this sometime this season). His GF% was in the high 30s, which is just atrocious. Evolving Hockey's RAPM charts portray him as an offensive black hole who does not make up for it with his defensive results. As for the eye test, the human eye is insufficient for analysing the game thoroughly. That's what I think.

When a team is playing as well as the Pens are, there are going to be some high Corsi numbers all over the shop. I highly doubt they are a result of Gudbranson driving the play.

The Bjugstad deal was at least OK in my books. Neither guy they acquired had been overly impressive, but there was value in ending the Brassard experiment. It was an improvement without a doubt, but not necessarily due to Bjugstad being some stud.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I recall an analyst alluding to Gudbranson being the most outscored defenseman over a certain time frame (couldn't find the specifics, but it was Garret Hohl who said this sometime this season). His GF% was in the high 30s, which is just atrocious.

I'm not arguing against him being very poor in Vancouver.

When a team is playing as well as the Pens are, there are going to be some high Corsi numbers all over the shop. I highly doubt they are a result of Gudbranson driving the play.

We've gotten outshot over his 8 games but he still has a 55.3 CF% when he hasn't been too sheltered.

The Bjugstad deal was at least OK in my books. Neither guy they acquired had been overly impressive, but there was value in ending the Brassard experiment. It was an improvement without a doubt, but not necessarily due to Bjugstad being some stud.

McCann is looking like absolute money together with Sid and Guentzel.

After a bit of a transition period, Bjugstad is now excelling centering Simon and Hornqvist. Line always seems to tilt the ice in our favor.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00