Cam Atkinson
Seth Jones
Zach Werenski
Ryan Murray
Markus Nutivaara
Josh Anderson
Boone Jenner

That’s the tip of the iceberg.

Well let’s see the rest of the iceberg. Because if you lose your three big UFAs that tip’s not gonna sink any ocean liners. And won’t be much help on the way with the missing 1st + two 2nds.

I don’t even have anything against columbus. Thought they were a dark horse before the trades if they kept Pan/Bob and Bob avoided April implosion. But even the “average poster” can see you’re going for broke with these moves. Assuming Pan/Bob are gone you’d have to bank on Duchene signing to even be a bubble playoff team next year.

Last edited:

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Great post OP!

I really like what Washington did, they seem to be making a habit of making shrewd moves that have a bigger impact than the deals suggest.

As a leafs fan it kinda hurts to say this but I like what Boston did was well. They're so good at the top of their line-up and on D, all they needed was some effective players in their middle 6 forwards and they got 2.

On a "value" sense, not many teams really seemed to knock it out of the park and are clear winners without seeing the future. Obviously Vegas and Nashville are winners as they both added and will be taking big runs at the cup. Stone signing for 8 years is a huge win for Vegas and I really like how Ottawa managed to get Brannstrom. I think managing to get Brannstrom is better than getting a 1st and a B prospect or something of that ilk, go for the foundation piece and sacrifice the other parts of the deal instead of fixating on quantity or the sexy 1st rounder.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Anaheim:

Silfverberg extension: This is a weird one. Having a quality rental in their hands, Anaheim decided to lock up their two-way warrior for what is supposed to be a 5x5 deal. I’m not a fan of the timing of the deal; Anaheim is clearly trending down, and there have been talks of major pieces being on the move. Thus, this move seems odd, although the price is pretty much as fair as it gets. He’ll get to be a part of their rebuild, but at least he gets to do that a rich man.

Montour trade: Well, this was unexpected. The Ducks sacrificed from their blue line (yet again), but this time they went for futures as opposed to stocking up at forward or ditching cap dumps. Montour’s season has been a catastrophe from a statistical standpoint, but some of that is very likely due to Carlyle. A first and Guhle are good assets for the rebuild, but one has to wonder whether Montour should have remained a part of the process.

Del Zotto trade: This, then, will be a common type of trade in this listing: getting any value for a really bad UFA. All of those trades will be classified as good ones.
Gibbons trade: No one cares.

Grade: B+. They didn’t make a bad deal with the assets they had, although the Silfverberg deal is a little weird considering their youth movement. Still, decent job by Murray.
Pretty much agree with all of this... it doesn't exactly make sense to extend Silf, then trade Montour.... I wish we would have moved Henrique... but im guessing thatll happen on the draft floor

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Columbus is an interesting situation. I'm not 100% convinced they even make the playoffs, though I think they will. I don't think I'd move them into the upper echelon of cup contenders, but they have improved an already competitive team, no doubt.

I just don’t see any real flaws.

Elite talent: Panarin
#1C: Duchene/Dubois
C depth: Nash, wennberg, Dubinsky, Jenner
Elite G: Bob
#1D: Jones
D depth: Werenski, Savard, Murray
Wildcard: Atkinson playing out of his mind
Physical defensive forwards: Jenner, Dubinsky, Foligno, Anderson

Only potential I can see is Bobvrovsky struggling in the playoffs so far

Reactions: CashMash

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I just don’t see any real flaws.

Elite talent: Panarin
#1C: Duchene/Dubois
C depth: Nash, wennberg, Dubinsky, Jenner
Elite G: Bob
#1D: Jones
D depth: Werenski, Savard, Murray
Wildcard: Atkinson playing out of his mind
Physical defensive forwards: Jenner, Dubinsky, Foligno, Anderson

Only potential I can see is Bobvrovsky struggling in the playoffs so far

I mean, I guess the way I see it is that Duchene is the only especially notable upgrade and the team was very much a bubble team. Its possible Duchene helps them solidify their spot, or he doesn't. The fit is yet to be determined

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
They are risking their ability to contend with the young core mentioned by WannabeFinn to take their shot now.

Obviously, everything hangs on the balance of what the Russians do. I doubt they are interested in staying, so in that sense, they are going to be in some kind of in-between state next year. They could have recouped some assets now for them, at least for Panarin.

Instead, Kekäläinen doubled down and sacrificed a bunch of futures (from what I've heard, Abramov and Davidsson were ranked their 3rd and 6th best prospects respectively) for this one last attempt. But they did that with a team that wasn't particularly good to begin with.

Also, there is the issue of singular players not having much impact on a team's chances of winning. You added two of them, but given that the team wasn't strong before, they aren't some top candidate even with Duchene and Dzingel. And even if they were, they are far more likely to not win than to hoist the Cup. It's the nature of hockey and small sample sizes.

The risk is insane. The expected return is bad. You have to hope you luck out now, because the next chance might be years away.

By this same logic, Every team should be trading their UFAs and never go for it.

Why didn’t Toronto trade Gardiner since he’s not coming back. SAN José with Karlsson since he might not come back?

You said you’re far more likely to never win the cup right?

Reactions: CashMash

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
@Maukkis Detroit will have $15M+ in cap space next year with 12 forwards, 6 defenders, and a goalie under contract. That doesn't include the $8.3M that can be cleared from Hank and Franzen's LTIR's if necessary...

... So what cap issues are you talking about?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I mean, I guess the way I see it is that Duchene is the only especially notable upgrade and the team was very much a bubble team. Its possible Duchene helps them solidify their spot, or he doesn't. The fit is yet to be determined

You don’t think Dzingle and his 65pt pave is an upgrade on Wennberg and his 30 or Hannikainen and his 15pt pace? I think you’ll be surprised there.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You don’t think Dzingle and his 65pt pave is an upgrade on Wennberg and his 30 or Hannikainen and his 15pt pace? I think you’ll be surprised there.

I think how much Dzingel impact things has more to do with how the dominos fall and people fit into their new roles.
Obviously, he produced more in Ottawa this year than most of the forwards have on Columbus in the same time.
However, does his inclusion (along with Duchene) bump people down into a role where they can now flourish, or does it actually lessen the production/impact they can have because of lessened of total ice time, and powerplay opportunity, possibly lesser linemates,

I'm by no means calling Dzingel a bad pickup. I just think Duchene moves the needle in a way Dzingel doesn't because he's a center and Columbus' center depth was suspect

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Great Read.

As a Leafs Fan, I give Dubas an A- at minimum simply because we didn’t trade a 2nd rounder for a rental 4th line Center. Instead he traded a depth player for depth player

Muzzin has looked great. Fits in well. Babcock needs to play him more minutes down the stretch

IMO the B+ fits. They could have been more aggressive on D at the deadline but it's not the end of the world that they didn't. I do agree with you though, I'm glad they stayed away from depth rentals.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
this is kind of funny.

Toronto gets a B+ for getting muzzin and petan.

muzzin has not shown much since his debut and petan could not crack the jets lineup.

meanwhile chevy fills in the L defence, kind of necessary with injuries and preparing for the hard hitting series' that will be played in the west.

gets a large 2nd line centre that the team needs.

arguably the best 2 things he paid may be Lemieux and the first round pick

and you give them a D

must of gagged you just a tad that sportsnet thinks the jets did the best at the tdl

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
St. Louis:
Del Zotto trade: …who is he an upgrade over, again?

Grade: C. The narrative surrounding the Blues changed in such a hurry that it is hard to think of them as a contender. Even though their play has been ridiculously good as of late (as proven by underlying metrics and them skyrocketing up the standings), it was probably for the best to stick to minor moves. No problem with the Blues.

Chris Butler?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Oh. So they're problems manufactured in your head, not ones that actually exist. Good to know. :thumbu:
They still have some terrible deals in the books, and the roster is lacking in talent relative to what it is paid. The earlier reply was more of a tongue-in-cheek thing, for the record.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
Look, another 'yeah yeah go all in now don't care about tomorrow' piece. Enough of those already.

we gave up 2 young players that were not in the jets future.

how hard is that to understand?

we still have all our future young talent.

we did not move roslovic, niku or ves.

chevy did a good job filling in the teams needs at not much of a cost

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
we gave up 2 young players that were not in the jets future.

how hard is that to understand?

we still have all our future young talent.

we did not move roslovic, niku or ves.

chevy did a good job filling in the teams needs at not much of a cost
We gave up that. And four picks.

Last year we gave up another young player. And two picks.

Those add up, you know.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
We gave up that. And four picks.

Last year we gave up another young player. And two picks.

Those add up, you know.

so getting defencemen that can play now on a left side where we are weak....

at the cost of a 6th and 7th round pick was a mistake?

not much risk there at all.

we already have enough young talent for the short range future.

a couple of low range 1st round picks is worth it, and is the kind of moves chevy has said he would take when he felt the time was right.

I have no problems with it at all

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
They still have some terrible deals in the books, and the roster is lacking in talent relative to what it is paid. The earlier reply was more of a tongue-in-cheek thing, for the record.

They do have some terrible deals, no doubt. Cap wise, they're fine.

Larkin, Mantha, AA, Bert, Zadina, Rasmussen, Svechnikov, Hronek, and Cholowski combined will eat less than $20M in cap next season.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Arizona:
Weal trade: Although rather inconsequential, Weal’s statistics suggest that this deal doesn’t really help the Yotes. Just not that much to discuss here.

Grade: C-. The minus comes from giving up the better player in the one trade they made, but it’s not like they were in a position to do much in either way. This was a good time to stand pat.

Nashville:
Boyle trade: If you need a center with size and experience, it makes all the sense in the world to trade for Brian Boyle. The thing is, I don’t think the Preds needed any of that. They are a playoff-tested bunch as it is and have an impressive amount of depth down the middle. Boyle does not represent a substantial upgrade over anyone, which is not reflected in the pricetag whatsoever. Trades like this illustrate the ridiculousness of the rental market: you can get a fourth liner for a second, but you might also get top 6 quality for the same price. This is clearly not a good deal.

According to Yotes fans Weal was god awful, I think that deal is an example of addition by subtraction.

Nashville brought in Boyle as a much needed replacement for Austin Watson and to give us a net front presence. Getting Boyle for a late 2nd was a great trade for Nashville.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
so getting defencemen that can play now on a left side where we are weak....

at the cost of a 6th and 7th round pick was a mistake?

not much risk there at all.

we already have enough young talent for the short range future.

a couple of low range 1st round picks is worth it, and is the kind of moves chevy has said he would take when he felt the time was right.

I have no problems with it at all
Neither acquisition represents an upgrade over the shit we currently have there, so yes, I consider those moves to be done in vain.

Perhaps they are inconsequential, but giving away something that we did not need to give is worrying.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
According to Yotes fans Weal was god awful, I think that deal is an example of addition by subtraction.

Nashville brought in Boyle as a much needed replacement for Austin Watson and to give us a net front presence. Getting Boyle for a late 2nd was a great trade for Nashville.
I don't know. Weal has had good underlying numbers pretty much everywhere (haven't checked on his numbers in Arizona, but that sample size is also pretty much useless). It might work out, or it might not. They know better than I do.

Boyle trade was horrible value. You didn't pay much more for Simmonds, for f***'s sake.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'd disagree on his take about Boyle. Boyle is basically the Watson replacement, brings some size and can kind of move around in the bottom 6 as needed. Also brought a very much needed net front guy to the worst PP in the league. He's actually made a pretty solid impact since getting to Nashville.

McLeod, they liked him in the locker room during the SCF run so brought him back. Yeah he stinks, but it was a 7th so whatever. His family still lived here so I'm betting he is loving that. If him being back settled some guys down it's worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad