Rank the Top 4 Defensemen in the Central

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I look at the Wild as an overall average playoff team which doesn't have enough to go far, 1 round the most, exit in 2nd round.

They don't have game breakers up front, Parise is the one that comes close to somewhat a game breaker, and after that it's bunch of average forwards, and pretty much the same on their blue line, Suter and some average or just a little above average d-men, nothing special

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Another thing to consider is how much longer Suter can keep up this high level of play. We saw it last season that he started to wear down from Yeo running him into the ground during the regular season, it'll be interesting to see how he performs this year and if his minutes get cut back.

That being said, Wild defense > Avs defense.

Rankings:
Nashville
Chicago
St Louis
Winnipeg
Minnesota
Colorado
Dallas

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Another thing to consider is how much longer Suter can keep up this high level of play. We saw it last season that he started to wear down from Yeo running him into the ground during the regular season, it'll be interesting to see how he performs this year and if his minutes get cut back.

Rankings:
Nashville
Chicago
St Louis
Winnipeg
Minnesota
Colorado
Dallas

So you're saying that you think Suter is wearing down and have doubts if he'll be able to keep it up, yet you said Wild defense is better than Avs?

If Suter wears down and won't be able to play thousand minutes per game, Wild's D becomes a joke, same with their forward group. If Parise can't produce anymore, Wild are done.

Every time I watched Wild games seems like Parise is the only one doing all of their scoring.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So you're saying that you think Suter is wearing down and have doubts if he'll be able to keep it up, yet you said Wild defense is better than Avs?

If Suter wears down and won't be able to play thousand minutes per game, Wild's D becomes a joke, same with their forward group. If Parise can't produce anymore, Wild are done.

Every time I watched Wild games seems like Parise is the only one doing all of their scoring.

Yeah, because Zach's 33 goals and 62 pts are 99% of the Wild's 231 goals scored ... (which happened to be higher than the Avs 219 goals, while the Wild only allowed 201 goals, to the Avs 227) got it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Rankings:
Nashville
Chicago
St Louis
Winnipeg
Minnesota
Colorado
Dallas
Pretty sure Suter's regular season minutes will come down to reality this year...

BTW - more info to show how severely underrated Spurgeon is around the hockey world...

16bc3tz.jpg

Ah, good ole rivalry
Agreed... love rivalries! ;)

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah well, I'm not trying to be an ass so I'll just keep it simple and end this Avs vs Wild debate...

Avs won division titles and 2 Stanley Cups.

What have the Wild won?

:)

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah well, I'm not trying to be an ass so I'll just keep it simple and end this Avs vs Wild debate...

What have the Wild won?

Wild's division title is as relevant as anything you just mentioned... meaning not much right now.

Let me know when the Avs win a Stanley cup in this day and age, instead of talking about the two you won 14 and 19 years ago.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Wild's division title is as relevant as anything you just mentioned... meaning not much right now.

Let me know when the Avs win a Stanley cup in this day and age, instead of talking about the two you won 14 and 19 years ago.

The Avs might or may not win another Cup in the near future, but they still raised a banner of some sorts 2 years ago when they won the division, so I'll ask again, what have the Wild won? ever...

Billy Mays Here*

What have the Wild won?

Wow, you sure are desperate to win this debate aren't you? [MOD]
Back to the matter at hand, I'd rate the teams as:

Nashville
Chicago
St. Louis
Winnipeg
Minnesota
Colorado
Dallas

Last edited by a moderator:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The Avs might or may not win another Cup in the near future, but they still raised a banner of some sorts 2 years ago when they won the division, so I'll ask again, what have the Wild won? ever...

There is a North West division title banner hanging at the X you know...

As for your division banner two years ago...didn't gain you anything vs the Wild, since the Avs lost when it counted to the Wild that year in the playoffs.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011

What have the Wild won?

Aaah, well in that case I have to agree EJ, Barrie, Beuch, Zadorov >>> Suter, Spurg, Scandella, Brodin.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Aaah, well in that case I have to agree EJ, Barrie, Beuch, Zadorov >>> Suter, Spurg, Scandella, Brodin.

Actually 2 years ago Avs won the division with a crappy d core, something the Wild can't do with their awesome d core ( so think the Wild fans )

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
There is a North West division title banner hanging at the X you know...

As for your division banner two years ago...didn't gain you anything vs the Wild, since the Avs lost when it counted to the Wild that year in the playoffs.

Yeah well you can thank your MVP cheap shot POS Cooke for winning that series, for knocking out Barrie, and Avs didn't even have Duchene.

I wonder how the Wild would do without Suter and Parise, doesn't take a genius to figure that one out, Wild would be a basement team without those two

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
Actually 2 years ago Avs won the division with a crappy d core, something the Wild can't do with their awesome d core ( so think the Wild fans )

You don't have to waterboard me with great arguments, I already sided with you.

You had me at two cups

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Hey, 2 cups is 2 cups. Talk to me when the Wild come close to even one.

We all have different views I guess. For me any organization that has ever won the ultimate prize ( the cup) is a winning organization even if the last cup they've won was years or many years ago.

And the organizations that have never won but they act like they are the best teams in the world ( Blues, Sharks, Wild ) etc... have to prove something before they can brag about something.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Looks like the league is doing a good job of stoking this Avs-Wild rivalry.

I'm fairly adamant that Spurgeon is overrated, but on paper the Wild's d is still better. As soon as next year the game could change though with Zads/Dumba developing and even Bigras/Siemens developing for the Avs. We have one of the worst 3rd pairings in the league still.

That being said, top 4-wise, I think our new top 4 could go toe to toe with their top 4.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Looks like the league is doing a good job of stoking this Avs-Wild rivalry.

I'm fairly adamant that Spurgeon is overrated, but on paper the Wild's d is still better. As soon as next year the game could change though with Zads/Dumba developing and even Bigras/Siemens developing for the Avs. We have one of the worst 3rd pairings in the league still.

That being said, top 4-wise, I think our new top 4 could go toe to toe with their top 4.

Not much worried about the 3rd pair. Hawks won the cup with Cumiskey on their 3rd pair.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
Hey, 2 cups is 2 cups. Talk to me when the Wild come close to even one.

We all have different views I guess. For me any organization that has ever won the ultimate prize ( the cup) is a winning organization even if the last cup they've won was years or many years ago.

And the organizations that have never won but they act like they are the best teams in the world ( Blues, Sharks, Wild ) etc... have to prove something before they can brag about something.

I see that even you have a hard time believing anybody could take your arguments seriously. Otherwise you would stop trying to convince people after they say they agree with you.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I see that even you have a hard time believing anybody could take your arguments seriously. Otherwise you would stop trying to convince people after they say they agree with you.

And I see you're trying to be clever because I couldn't really tell a sarcasm.

Edit: I guess that's all the Wild fans can do is try to be clever and sarcastic because there is really no other argument here.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Not much worried about the 3rd pair. Hawks won the cup with Cumiskey on their 3rd pair.

That's in the playoffs and with a group of defenders used to playing around 50 minutes combined. Their top 4 is easily better than ours and I'm not sure how leaning on Barrie to play as much as Oduya would turn out for us defensively.

For the purposes of this thread, Hawks clearly have the best top 4. They won a cup with pretty much just them playing. Preds and Blues follow after and then Jets/Wild/Avs in that order for now. I don't think the results between those 3 clubs will be too far apart however as far as top 4 goes. Stars are easily last.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
I don't see the Hawks as number one unless Oduya resigns. Rundblad/TVR should not be a top-4 defender at this point. Even with Oduya, I prefer Nashville that have two of the (arguably) top 10 defenders on their team.

Predators
Blues
Blackhawks
Wild
Jets
Avalanche
Stars

If Oduya resigns, Blues and Blackhawks switch spots. Avalanche and Stars are tied for bottom spot.

How do people rank the Wild d core above the Avs? I mean based on what? If you break it down you got....

Suter is better than all the Avs D-men yes but after that you got...

EJ>>>any wild d-man not named Suter

Barrie is equal or better than any wild d not named Suter

Beauchemin see Barrie

Zadorov is still bit of a question mark but he can be as good or better than any Wild top 4 D not named Suter

Avs bottom pair is little weak, but we're talking top 4 here, and I'll take the Avs top 4 over Wild's

I take Brodin and Spurgeon over all Avalanche defenders not named Eric Johnson. Heck, might take Brodin ahead of EJ as well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad