Rank the Top 4 Defensemen in the Central

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I look at the Wild as an overall average playoff team which doesn't have enough to go far, 1 round the most, exit in 2nd round.

They don't have game breakers up front, Parise is the one that comes close to somewhat a game breaker, and after that it's bunch of average forwards, and pretty much the same on their blue line, Suter and some average or just a little above average d-men, nothing special

If you say that about Parise I could argue that Zucker good be one too. If he stays healthy.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
So you're saying that you think Suter is wearing down and have doubts if he'll be able to keep it up, yet you said Wild defense is better than Avs?

If Suter wears down and won't be able to play thousand minutes per game, Wild's D becomes a joke, same with their forward group. If Parise can't produce anymore, Wild are done.

Every time I watched Wild games seems like Parise is the only one doing all of their scoring.

This is quite simply false. :shakehead

And what does Parise have to do with their defensemen? :help: :popcorn:

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Another thing to consider is how much longer Suter can keep up this high level of play. We saw it last season that he started to wear down from Yeo running him into the ground during the regular season, it'll be interesting to see how he performs this year and if his minutes get cut back.

That being said, Wild defense > Avs defense.

Rankings:
Nashville
Chicago
St Louis
Winnipeg
Minnesota
Colorado
Dallas
Wild fans have asked for his minutes to get back all season Are begging for him to not be on the powerplay becuase Spurgeon,Scandella and Dumba all of better shots then him. They would probably make the wild powerplay more effective. Saying that I'm pretty sure the all the top 4 d on the wild were close being in the top of the league when it came to ice time. Also Doughty lead the league in ice time this year.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Looks like the league* is doing a good job of stoking this Avs-Wild rivalry.

I'm fairly adamant that Spurgeon is overrated, but on paper the Wild's d is still better. As soon as next year the game could change though with Zads/Dumba developing and even Bigras/Siemens developing for the Avs. We have one of the worst 3rd pairings in the league still.

That being said, top 4-wise, I think our new top 4 could go toe to toe with their top 4.

*looks like everyone's favorite poster is doing a good job of stoking this Avs-Wild rivalry. ;)

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Wild fans have asked for his minutes to get back all season Are begging for him to not be on the powerplay becuase Spurgeon,Scandella and Dumba all of better shots then him. They would probably make the wild powerplay more effective. Saying that I'm pretty sure the all the top 4 d on the wild were close being in the top of the league when it came to ice time. Also Doughty lead the league in ice time this year.

The difference is Doughty is still in his prime and in his mid 20s. I'm sure if Suter was 25 he would have no problem handling the minutes he had last season. Fact is, he's 30 now and it's quite clear he's going to break down sooner rather than later if his minutes stay the same.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I take Brodin and Spurgeon over all Avalanche defenders not named Eric Johnson. Heck, might take Brodin ahead of EJ as well.

Well, we don't actually have anyone named Eric Johnson on our roster.

And you really wouldn't take the 8th highest scoring NHL defenseman over Jared Spurgeon? I don't care how good his corsi is, Barrie more than doubled his point total.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah well, i'm done talking about the overrated Wild team, they haven't done anything in their franchise history to bother going any further with this topic.

No matter how much the Wild fans try to pretend they have the greatest team on earth, the fact is that they are a 2 men team. Cherish Suter and Parise til the end because that's all you got.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
1 - Chicago
2 - Nashville
3 - St. Louis
4 - Winnipeg
5 - Minnesota
6 - Colorado
7 - Dallas

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Well, we don't actually have anyone named Eric Johnson on our roster.

And you really wouldn't take the 8th highest scoring NHL defenseman over Jared Spurgeon? I don't care how good his corsi is, Barrie more than doubled his point total.

Difference is, one of them can actually play defense. Points aren't everything.

Yeah well, i'm done talking about the overrated Wild team, they haven't done anything in their franchise history to bother going any further with this topic.

No matter how much the Wild fans try to pretend they have the greatest team on earth, the fact is that they are a 2 men team. Cherish Suter and Parise til the end because that's all you got.

I'm sorry you're so sad and upset with the Wild being better than the Avs in the current state of time.

At least you can look back at the cups your team won when you probably weren't even born yet.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Difference is, one of them can actually play defense. Points aren't everything.

I'm sorry you're so sad and upset with the Wild being better than the Avs in the current state of time.

At least you can look back at the cups your team won when you probably weren't even born yet.

Yeah but at least I'll have something to look back at, but the Wild fans don't and likely won't anytime soon being a 2 men team.

You're not winning anything with Parise, Suter and bunch of nobodies

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Yeah but at least I'll have something to look back at, but the Wild fans don't and likely won't anytime soon being a 2 men team.

You're not winning anything with Parise, Suter and bunch of nobodies

Weren't you done discussing the Wild?

Yeah, you're definitely getting worked up over us being the better team. Sorry!

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
The difference is Doughty is still in his prime and in his mid 20s. I'm sure if Suter was 25 he would have no problem handling the minutes he had last season. Fact is, he's 30 now and it's quite clear he's going to break down sooner rather than later if his minutes stay the same.

I really wasn't comparing them I was pointing out how doughty lead the league in ice time not Suter.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I know, that was a dumb comment.

Barrie is one hell of an offensive defenseman.

He's also become a good dman in his own zone; there's a reason he's been able to drag Nate ****ing Guenin along on the second pairing, and was able to step up to carry our D after EJ went down following the ASB. Again I like Spurgeon; but I don't think many would pick him over Barrie when Tyson has become a good all around dman, and is that much more dynamic and productive...despite the avs PP going to complete **** last season.

EDIT:
Now once Barrie gets paid on his long term deal there could be an argument based around cost effectiveness (as I expect Tyson to get ~a million more a year than Spurgeon will get on his), but that's a different question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->