Rank the recent "steal" trades by NJ

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
no the first from that trade Atlanta used in a trade to get Byfuglien and Chicago used it on Kevin Hayes. Burmistrov was Atlanta's original first round pick.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
It really is insane how lopsided the Kovalchuk trade was. We gave up Oduya (Admittedly a solid middle-pairing guy), Bergfors (Bust-o-rama) and our first (Which turned into Burmistrov, who has a less than spectacular NHL career thus far). Even better, the swapping of 2nd round picks - ours become Jon Merrill, Atlanta traded their new 2nd to Chicago who drafted a dude named Justin Holl, who does not have a Wikipedia page and just signed a one-year two-way deal with the Leafs a day or two ago.

Kovalchuk
Merrill
Salmela the Finnish Super Stud

vs.
Burmistrov
Oduya
Bergfors
Holl

Unreal.

We have gotten two 1st overall picks for under-market value in the past 6 years. We're to trades what Edmonton is to lottery picks.

We gave up Cormier in that deal.

I remember everyone was freaking out at the time because they thought Tedenby was going the other way. :laugh:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We don't count the picks, who they were or include the penalty for the contract or consider the outcome of the unfulfilled contract we lost with nothing in return other than Merrill in the Kovalchuk deal?

That was easily the worst deal in the history of the Devils. It literally destroyed a proud franchise.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
We don't count the picks, who they were or include the penalty for the contract or consider the outcome of the unfulfilled contract we lost with nothing in return other than Merrill in the Kovalchuk deal?

That was easily the worst deal in the history of the Devils. It literally destroyed a proud franchise.

The contract could have set this team back but he left at it was for the better of this organization in the long run. The trade was a steal even if he just left that summer. We arguably got the third best player in that deal with Merrill after Kovy and Oduya. You do that trade Everytime. We had a team that could of competed deep into the playoffs that year unfortunately Kovy was the only one who showed up that playoff year. Worst deal in Devils history? Come on man.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The trade for the KHL player was seperate from re-signing him and the penalties we got on the contract cause VBK was broke and they had to get creative, they're not linked together. The actual trade itself was a steal.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The trade for the KHL player was seperate from re-signing him and the penalties we got on the contract cause VBK was broke and they had to get creative, they're not linked together. The actual trade itself was a steal.
They're not linked? Put down the kool-aid, you've had way too much.

In general that's a nifty narrative.... completely void of reality, but nifty.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
They're not linked? Put down the kool-aid, you've had way too much.

In general that's a nifty narrative.... completely void of reality, but nifty.

They're not linked. The Devils made a trade for a UFA forward and gave fair value for that player.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought the trade was a steal too, as the guys we gave away became nothing.

Bergfors was doing well at the time, but thank god we got rid of when we did. Another year later he was bust material.

Cormier still hasn't cracked an NHL roster on a full time basis. His ass is probably sore from years of sitting on the uncomfortable busses nonstop. I'm surprised he hasn't departed for Europe yet.

I just don't rank that on the same level with the "Steal" trades because he was just a rental and a UFA to be in just a few months time after that. Cory, Palmieri and Hall were not rentals. Neither was Holik/Pandolfo or Claude Lemieux 1.0 and a couple of the others mentioned.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Can we put the Matteau for DSP trade as a close 4th to the other 3 recent steal trades? Please?

Even if DSP only scores 20 points this year, I feel that will be more than what Matteau will score. And it was still fun watching DSP score all those goals down the stretch last season, if not just because you just KNEW that the thread would be bumped by the time you refreshed the board.:laugh:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Can we put the Matteau for DSP trade as a close 4th to the other 3 recent steal trades? Please?

Even if DSP only scores 20 points this year, I feel that will be more than what Matteau will score. And it was still fun watching DSP score all those goals down the stretch last season, if not just because you just KNEW that the thread would be bumped by the time you refreshed the board.:laugh:

If that's how we're judging it Zidlicky from Minnesota was a massive heist.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
DSP trade is underrated. Getting him for Matteau was awesome.

I strongly believe that the Schneider trade is the best. Palmieri trade is up there too. I feel that Larsson for Hall was a straight up hockey move for both clubs. Both get what they need, although I still think it is weird we got him for just Larsson. A bit of an underpayment from us. I was kind of shocked when I first saw that trade, was definitely not expecting that.

Shero has done a great job as the Devils GM. Gotta like what he is doing.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If that's how we're judging it Zidlicky from Minnesota was a massive heist.

It was.

None of the guys we traded him for are even in the league anymore. And it's not because they just got old either. They sucked and just washed out.

ChicoEatsNachos

Jan 14, 2016
Little Ferry NJ
For me the Schneider trade is the best to me because he is our best player and the backbone of the team but in terms of assets paid vs. assets received I could see arguments for any of the trades listed.

For as rough as the last few years have been at times, reading this thread made me feel real good. And Shero is such a wizard I am expecting a Josefson for Crosby trade by the end of the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad