Rank the recent "steal" trades by NJ

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I just don't understand why people still consent to trade with Shero. He's got some mind control voodoo going on, I'm telling you.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Hall/Lars isn't a steal. It is a hockey trade that we got more value out of, but not light years more.

Agreed.

Before today I thought Taylor Hall was a very good young player with a bright future, but who's realistically, slightly overrated.

Today I think he's now become one the most overrated players in the NHL in the span of 10 hours.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
at least he's ours!

And I'm glad.

I think this is a great trade for New Jersey, but I also think the overreaction to it has been perhaps the most over-the-top immediate reaction I've seen to a trade in my life.

Assuming Larsson turns out to be a 1st-pairing Dman that many of us think he will be for the next decade or so (with a RH shot to boot), this trade isnt the "worst in NHL history" or other nonsense that we're currently reading about.

There's a clear Canadian media bias at play here, plus the fact that offense is always considered sexier than defense, but net/net the way I'd describe the general reaction thus far to this trade is:

logo541185157531383859720.png

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Established producer with all the bells and whistles (No. 1 pick status, highlight reel speed, plenty of eye test theatrics) vs. a quiet, un-flashy slow developing player coming into his own at the hardest position in the game.

Sports fans don't do nuance with that much contrast.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
If we're talking just about Xs and Os as it relates to the game, its Schneider since we got him for a lottery ticket. If we take other aspects of the business of the game into account, its going to be Hall very quickly.

While the Cory trade was outstanding value and he's obviously our cornerstone at the moment, Hall brings a lot more intangibles to the team than just front line scoring. He's the most high profile player on the team immediately. He is close to, if not already an offensive superstar. He will sell tons of jerseys and could be someone that gets people to watch the Devils that dont normally do and will likely be the first guy mentioned whenever the Devils are talked about since he plays a "sexy" position. The great part is he's locked up for 4 more seasons and will spend some formative years here. In the pure hockey sense, I cant argue against Schneider being the #1 in this ranking right at this moment, but Hall trumps that since Larsson plays a position that does not get the same kind of attention and is not at the same level at his position that Hall is at his.

I get the argument for Palmieri, but he has one year of accomplishing what he did his first year here. I don't believe that he will drop off or anything like that, but I think for that to compare to the other two mentioned deals, he needs to string together a couple of seasons like that. 30 goals for a team that did nothing of merit is nice, but lets see if he can consistently produce at a high level -- than its possible to say that it truly was a steal.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And I'm glad.

I think this is a great trade for New Jersey, but I also think the overreaction to it has been perhaps the most over-the-top immediate reaction I've seen to a trade in my life.

Clearly you've forgotten 2010 and the trade with Atlanta :P

To a degree Devil fans are SOOOO starved for big scoring forwards and having a 'star' that any trade for one's going to get hyped to the moon. Just like it - and the subsequent re-signing of the player - did in 2010. The Larsson trade doesn't belong in this thread with the other two, heck the trade for the future KHL player was a lot more of a 'steal' than this one.

Although in this case our own natural overreaction to this deal is compounded by the natural Canadian overreaction to a Canadian team trading a top Canadian forward for a non-flashy non-Canadian defenseman.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
DSP for Stef was a heist.

This deal should be beneficial for both teams. Though both will miss their former player too.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Established producer with all the bells and whistles (No. 1 pick status, highlight reel speed, plenty of eye test theatrics) vs. a quiet, un-flashy slow developing player coming into his own at the hardest position in the game.

Sports fans don't do nuance with that much contrast.

Exactly.

Although in this case our own natural overreaction to this deal is compounded by the natural Canadian overreaction to a Canadian team trading a top Canadian forward for a non-flashy non-Canadian defenseman.

This is a huge part of the media overreaction.

If Taylor Hall was Taylor Hakulinen, the hockey media wouldn't be going completely ape**** over a talented, young, Finnish player's trade.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Shero has traded a 2nd, 2 3rds, and Adam Larsson for Beau Bennett, Kyle Palmieri, and Taylor Hall.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
#1. June 2016: Acquired Hall for Larsson

#2. June 2013: Acquired Schneider for #9 pick (Horvat)

#3. June 2015: Dropped Jagr for #41 pick; #76 pick, then the next day acquired Palmieri for #41 pick (Gropp); #76 pick (Pitlick)

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
I just don't understand why people still consent to trade with Shero. He's got some mind control voodoo going on, I'm telling you.

Believe it or not, Ray Shero's approach isn't really to rip the other team off, it's about giving them something for something in return, it's why every GM in the league likes making deals with him, he makes the transition smooth & easy for every party involved.

As a Pens fan, I can totally vouch for Ray Shero, he's as good as it gets, and he helped build the team that won the Cup this season. I see him making very similar moves in New Jersey as well. It's going to be very interesting to see how this team develops in the next 3 seasons.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And I'm glad.

Assuming Larsson turns out to be a 1st-pairing Dman that many of us think he will be for the next decade or so (with a RH shot to boot), this trade isnt the "worst in NHL history" or other nonsense that we're currently reading about.

There's a clear Canadian media bias at play here, plus the fact that offense is always considered sexier than defense, but net/net the way I'd describe the general reaction thus far to this trade is:
I don't think it is an overreaction at all.

The only way you can really justify this trade from an Edmonton perspective is almost entirely based on Larsson's potential. The problem is there are tons of questions about Larsson's potential.

And even without questions, you still have to ask yourself if a shutdown D is worth a top winger?

And then you have to ask yourself what does Larsson look like outside a defensive team with a very strong strong partner in NJ vs on a very young and shaky defensively team?

The risks for Edmonton are astronomical and really the rewards are limited.

I'd still be crying if I were an Edmonton fan.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think it is an overreaction at all.

The only way you can really justify this trade from an Edmonton perspective is almost entirely based on Larsson's potential. The problem is there are tons of questions about Larsson's potential.

And even without questions, you still have to ask yourself if a shutdown D is worth a top winger?

And then you have to ask yourself what does Larsson look like outside a defensive team with a very strong strong partner in NJ vs on a very young and shaky defensively team?

The risks for Edmonton are astronomical and really the rewards are limited.

I'd still be crying if I were an Edmonton fan.
Edmonton was so desperately in need of a top shutdown defenseman though. Between that, the RH preference, and cap complications, this trade (or one like it) was inevitable.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Edmonton was so desperately in need of a top shutdown defenseman though. Between that, the RH preference, and cap complications, this trade (or one like it) was inevitable.
Seems logical...but the questions remains is Larsson the right person to give up that value for? Does he fit in Edmonton? Can he do what he did this season away from NJ and Andy Greene? And how much room does he have left in his development curve?

That is a lot of questions to give up a former #1 overall who has actually produced like a former #1 overall.

From an Edmonton perspective that is a tough pill to swallow in my opinion.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
Seems logical...but the questions remains is Larsson the right person to give up that value for? Does he fit in Edmonton? Can he do what he did this season away from NJ and Andy Greene? And how much room does he have left in his development curve?

That is a lot of questions to give up a former #1 overall who has actually produced like a former #1 overall.

From an Edmonton perspective that is a tough pill to swallow in my opinion.

Luckily for you, you don't need to live with the ramifications of Edmonton's decision. We know what we're getting. They don't.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
1) Schneider
2) Palmieri
3)DSP
4) Hall

The reason I put DSP is cause we got a solid player who I think can score 20 goals a years if given the proper teammates for a career minor leaguer. People are gonna disagree with that one but I think when you considered how young DSP is as well it makes that much better for us. I still can't believe Montreal did that deal.

Hall is a trade we wone but that's the deal where we gave up the most by far.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
My ranking (last 10 years)

1. Kovalchuk trade

2. Schneider trade

3. Hall trade

4. Palmieri trade

5. Salvador trade

Probably all time greatest is Scott Niedermayer trade.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
My ranking (last 10 years)

1. Kovalchuk trade

2. Schneider trade

3. Hall trade

4. Palmieri trade

5. Salvador trade

Probably all time greatest is Scott Niedermayer trade.

Interesting. ..

The Niedermayer trade was the most impactful but it did require some luck...that is San Jose taking Pat Falloon and not Niedermayer.

My favorite all time trade was Sylvain Turgeon for Claude Lemieux.

I hated S. Turgeon because he was the return for a disgruntled Pat Verbeek who was always one of my favorite all time players...so when we got Claude for him, he immediately became a favorite. And of course he was an absolute monster in 1995.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Interesting. ..

The Niedermayer trade was the most impactful but it did require some luck...that is San Jose taking Pat Falloon and not Niedermayer.

I hated S. Turgeon because he was the return for a disgruntled Pat Verbeek who was always one of my favorite all time players...so when we got Claude for him, he immediately became a favorite. And of course he was an absolute monster in 1995.

I kind of envy the people here with first hand memories of the glory days. I became a fan in 2009, so all I really have to go on with Devils dominance is the 2011-12 run.

Of course, I watch videos of the cup runs, but it's not the same as living them. Hopefully we have some more coming up!

I think I'd rate the Shero trades

1. Hall
2. Palmieri
3. DSP

I get the feeling that we gave up the most for Hall, but we also got the best player in that deal. I think we're going to feel the impact of Hall a lot more than DSP, so that's how I'd rank them.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The thing that's great about the Cory trade was that just two years later, everybody was trading first round picks for goalies.

And none of them were either as proven as Schneider at the time or as good. I'm a big Martin Jones fan, but he wasn't very proven when that trade was made. Lehner was maybe a little more proven than Jones, but not nearly as good as Cory.

Frederik Andersen is not as good as Cory. It seems like these days, any goalie with potential that still in their 20's are going for first round picks. I would almost bet Jake Allen could have gone for a first round pick, I'm sure Vasilevskiy too. It looks like Tampa is keeping him though.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Interesting. ..

One of my favorite trades from the old days was Burke and Weinrich for Holik and a 2nd rounder. The 2nd rounder that became Pandolfo.

We got rid of a TRASH goaltender with a bad attitude, that wasn't any good for two of the better defensive forwards we had in those years. Weinrich was alright, but it was still worth it.

And I realize that Sean Burke was good later on in his career, not with us was he good though.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
It really is insane how lopsided the Kovalchuk trade was. We gave up Oduya (Admittedly a solid middle-pairing guy), Bergfors (Bust-o-rama) and our first (Which turned into Burmistrov, who has a less than spectacular NHL career thus far). Even better, the swapping of 2nd round picks - ours become Jon Merrill, Atlanta traded their new 2nd to Chicago who drafted a dude named Justin Holl, who does not have a Wikipedia page and just signed a one-year two-way deal with the Leafs a day or two ago.

Kovalchuk
Merrill
Salmela the Finnish Super Stud

vs.
Burmistrov
Oduya
Bergfors
Holl

Unreal.

We have gotten two 1st overall picks for under-market value in the past 6 years. We're to trades what Edmonton is to lottery picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad