Rank The Maple Leafs Captains Of The Last 30 Years...

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Cheers. Not really sussed out until this thread's prompt, but a distinct memory of Gilmour taking the club by the sweater and pulling them within sight of the Promised Land.

It was a tough transition for me but the truth was Gilmour won me over quick. As mentioned, LOVE(D) Wendel Clark! But Gilmour, you could see and feel that the club was changing because of his constant example that routinely determined the final outcome of the game.

Think Burns was the best Capt myself lol. He set the tone of that team and the players responded .

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
McSorley told me it's Wendel.

0d8ac48562923718b142c8444df15ec3.jpg
At least Wendel played for the Leafs while Sundin was captain.

I think I'll take his word over someone who just got punched by a Leaf.

I believe the topic is 'best leader', not 'best fighter'.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
If i had to pick one to Captain our current team it would be Clark, if i had to pick one to start a team with it would be Sundin.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I will say a 25 year old Phaneuf on this team in place of Muzzin would probably make them a better team.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I will say a 25 year old Phaneuf on this team in place of Muzzin would probably make them a better team.

Well a 22, 23 year old Phaneuf was about as impactful an all around young defenseman as we've seen. He was sensational. Peaked very early and then...

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Tavares in my books is by far the worst captain ever. He has done absolutely nothing that points leadership for the core. I would take Phaneuf as a captain over him any day.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Kyle089

May 21, 2018
Sundin
Clark
Gilmour

Tavares and Phaneuf are both on the same level to me as captains. Not terrible leaders, but also not great. Tavares still has time to change my opinion however.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think any of Sundin, Clark or Dougie would be great on our current team. Heck, I would even add Tucker, Roberts and even Corson.
I think in terms of skills, our current Leafs got more skills than the Dougie, Clark and Sundin teams combined but it lacks the attitude of never give up and never back down

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Was a solid player in my book.

I mean look at his D partners here, Kaberle for 2 games was the best he got. After that it was Carl Gunnarsson, Keith Aulie, Mike Kostka.

Here's a fun game for the Phaneuf haters: lets count how many partners of #3 lasted in the league!
Not a Phaneuf hater, but Carl Gunnarsson did an excellent job of covering up for him defensively. The rest: no, but Gunnarsson doesn't deserve to be lumped in with them.

Reactions: hotpaws

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Dion also made $6.5 million in 2010 money, representing 12.92% of the cap at time of signing, so that would have been more than Adam Fox's $9.5 million at 11.66% in today's cap reality, or more than double Jake Muzzin's 6.9% of the cap at time of signing.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Killer by example

Sundin talent and strong

Clark sheer old school western disposition

JT pro

The other guy !!! ???

All time
Not even close

Mr. Kennedy : determination , leader , fighter , face offs , guts like no other multiple cups and on and on and on

Mr Keon : mentally strong , best 2 way Leaf , leadership , demanding , no nonsense, pro , on and on and on

Sittler: so good , so tough , leader , competitor, scorer , fighter , so good , on and on and on

Then the rest
Way to do Armstrong dirty like that.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The quitting on the team puts Gilmour at the bottom for me.

Sundin
Clark
Tavares
Phanuef
Gilmour

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad