Rank The Maple Leafs Captains Of The Last 30 Years...

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Teeder brought up older captains and of them I would have to add a couple:
Conn Smythe called George Armstrong the greatest Leaf captain ever. (Note: greatest captain, not player. By contrast, I think Keon was a great player and not so good as a captain.) Surely Smythe’s opinion is worthy of attention. Syl Apps, was captain for most of the superlative decade of the 40’s, although he missed some key time at the heart of his career because of military service in WW II. I think Apps is the one Matthews is chasing as best Leaf player ever. FWIW, I think Matthews will surpass him.

Then there was Hap Day. Day hoisted the Cup as captain in 1932. Then, as coach, he led the Leafs to five Cups in the stellar decade of the 40’s. His name appears on a seventh Cup as assistant GM in 1951. It’s hard to imagine a person having more longtime influence on the franchise than Day.

Reactions: aingefan

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Wendal for sure. He’s exactly what this team needs for the playoffs, nobody had more heart than him.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
funny timing for this, seems like just an excuse for another thread to rip JT.

ive said a ton of stuff about JTs production but none of that has to do with his captaincy.

dion was a big part of salute gate and should be ranked at the bottom just for that alone.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
How do you define being a captain if you ignore their on ice production?

Being a "Captain" there are a lot of things behind closed doors, especially with teammates, we don't see and never will.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Sundin

Clark
Gilmour

Tavares - doesn't have any leadership qualities but at least i don't believe the players think he's a clown like they did with Dion

Phaneuf - just a pathetic joke of a captain

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Clark is number 1. He was captain during Gilmour's prime years.

I don't think Dion would be last for me. He would at least occasionally land a huge hit that I would find inspiring. I won't say who I think that is though as to not upset anyone.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Clark - Most respected Leaf player in my lifetime, a true leader and natural honey badger. Stood up for every teammate at a fearless 5'11.

To score as he did, even when robbed due to injuries while throwing checks, fists and sitting in the box so often in itself was amazing, but he carried the team. His demeanour always showed disdain for the opponent.

I remember working an afternoon job when he was traded back to the Leafs and everyone gathered around the T.V for his return. He was a demiGod to my generation.

2. Sundin- He never complained though he was a star who rarely had talent on his line. Always took questions from the media after tough losses, sometimes for far longer than expected.

He learned to be a captain I don't think it was his forte but he learned and lead by example.

He was the consummate pro and dealt with issues quietly in the lockerroom and there were plenty in his time.

3. Tavares. This was tough for me as I loved 93, but he came here as a F.A and his managing a younger team that is talented but has the highest expectations in my lifetime. He's not made excuses nor shown an attitude.

I'm not judging him on his lack of playoff success to date obviously but his ability to keep everyone on board. I think last series against the Habs might have been a big one for him if not for the injury.

If he can have a deep playoff run, or a Cup, he becomes a legend and the handoff to the next one will be smooth.

4. Gilmour- Effort was second to none and seemed to be on the ice constantly.

He, like Clark, was a big deal in T.O and he was heavily promoted from his milk commercials on. A leader of the team and the cities identity it seemed.

5. Phanuef -I thought the decision was made too quickly. He didn't ever seem to find his old game from his years with the Flames and I wonder if he would have been more effective if he wasn't a captain.

He showed a competitive streak which I respected.

His stock fell quickly in my eyes after the 2013 collapse against the Bruins. The team didn't handle it well in the years that followed.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Wendel Clark HAS to be #1 IMHO. He DID everything to lead his team !!!

John Tavares BELOW Phaneuf is just RIDICULOUS !!!
Wendel Clark told me that he felt Mats was a much better captain. I'll defer to his opinion.

If you prefer:
Dion Phaneuf/John Tavares
or
John Tavares/Dion Phaneuf
or
John Tavares
Dion Phaneuf

We have three who rate 8 or 9 out of 10, and two who rate a 1.

Reactions: hotpaws

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I was surprised to see that Clark was only Captain for 3 seasons, same with Gilmour.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I was surprised to see that Clark was only Captain for 3 seasons, same with Gilmour.
Maybe we should give a little more credit to the guys who managed to withstand the insanity longer: Hay Day and Mats Sundin wore the 'C' for ten years each, and George Armstrong had it for eleven.

Ted Kennedy sported it for eight. Nobody else lasted more than six.

Reactions: studebaker17

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Maybe we should give a little more credit to the guys who managed to withstand the insanity longer: Hay Day and Mats Sundin wore the 'C' for ten years each, and George Armstrong had it for eleven.

Ted Kennedy sported it for eight. Nobody else lasted more than six.
I give Phaneuf a lot of credit for putting up with it for as long as he did.
Would have been so easy for him to take the easy way out like Gilmour.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I can see Dougie, Wendal and Sundin above JT but there is no way you can rank Dion above JT.
Wendal was one of the few reasons why people watched the Leafs and he was the heart and soul of the team.
Dougie had the best single season of any Leafs in the past 30 years. While also leading the Leafs to Conf Finals.
Sundin was amazing and like Dougie led the Leafs to Conf Finals.
JT still got time but there is no way Dion is above JT.

Reactions: Al14

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Clark
Sundin
Tavares
Gilmour
Phaneuf

Gilmour was a superstar for the Leafs from 92-94, but his tenure as Captain isn't one to write home about. He wore the "C" for 3 seasons, saw Burns get fired, and lost in the first round two straight years before being traded.

In any event, ranking Phaneuf above or equal to Tavares is asinine.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I can see Dougie, Wendal and Sundin above JT but there is no way you can rank Dion above JT.
Wendal was one of the few reasons why people watched the Leafs and he was the heart and soul of the team.
Dougie had the best single season of any Leafs in the past 30 years. While also leading the Leafs to Conf Finals.
Sundin was amazing and like Dougie led the Leafs to Conf Finals.
JT still got time but there is no way Dion is above JT.
Wasn't Clark the Captain for the Conference Final appearances?

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I love Wendel Clark, but it seems his captaincy was not unlike Tavares in this way: We all know who the real captain is/was given the choice between two players.

While Gilmour wore an A initially, he seemed like our captain from the get go. That might be why Clark was traded not long after the '93-94 season ended, and Gilmour named the captain going into the very next season.

What Gilmour brought more than Clark was a leap in production that inspired the rest of the club. That's what Matthews does. We can see the difference in those early nineties clubs before Gilmour's arrival .

Best captains:

Gilmour, Sundin, Clark...Tavares...and hoping...Matthews.

Reactions: LeafGrief

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I love Wendel Clark, but it seems his captaincy was not unlike Tavares in this way: We all know who the real captain is/was given the choice between two players.

While Gilmour wore an A initially, he seemed like our captain from the get go. That might be why Clark was traded not long after the '93-94 season ended, and Gilmour named the captain going into the very next season.

What Gilmour brought more than Clark was a leap in production that inspired the rest of the club. That's what Matthews does. We can see the difference in those early nineties clubs before Gilmour's arrival .

Best captains:

Gilmour, Sundin, Clark...Tavares...and hoping...Matthews.
Good points. I'm sure many don't realize how similar the situation is, I know it never occurred to me.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Good points. I'm sure many don't realize how similar the situation is, I know it never occurred to me.

Cheers. Not really sussed out until this thread's prompt, but a distinct memory of Gilmour taking the club by the sweater and pulling them within sight of the Promised Land.

It was a tough transition for me but the truth was Gilmour won me over quick. As mentioned, LOVE(D) Wendel Clark! But Gilmour, you could see and feel that the club was changing because of his constant example that routinely determined the final outcome of the game.

Reactions: Gabriel426

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Wendel Clark told me that he felt Mats was a much better captain. I'll defer to his opinion.

McSorley told me it's Wendel.

0d8ac48562923718b142c8444df15ec3.jpg

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Wasn't Clark the Captain for the Conference Final appearances?
I think for one of them. Either way, I think when ranking Captains, you can't just judge the players when they are Captain and ignore the time when they were not Captains, while playing on the team.
Dougie had his best season why Clark was captain, does that mean we need to ignore that season when ranking Dougie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad