Rank The Maple Leafs Captains Of The Last 30 Years...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sundin had the best career with us. And anyone putting Dion above JT is insane. Wendal was a good player, but there is a lot of nostalgia there. If he was injured as much as he was during his career while this message board existed people would lose their minds.

Aki Berg

Jul 3, 2005
Aki-ville
The real question is who is the greatest Maple Leafs assistant captain ever:
berg.jpg

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Dion was fine as captain. He wasn't any good as a #1D, but he was a player in over his head on a bad team. He may still be the bottom of the list, but now that he's gone and not on the cap, it's fine to admit that he was a perfectly decent guy and the Leafs just sucked. It wasn't his fault we were terrible.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Dion was fine as captain. He wasn't any good as a #1D, but he was a player in over his head on a bad team. He may still be the bottom of the list, but now that he's gone and not on the cap, it's fine to admit that he was a perfectly decent guy and the Leafs just sucked. It wasn't his fault we were terrible.
Was a solid player in my book.

I mean look at his D partners here, Kaberle for 2 games was the best he got. After that it was Carl Gunnarsson, Keith Aulie, Mike Kostka.

Here's a fun game for the Phaneuf haters: lets count how many partners of #3 lasted in the league!

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Killer by example

Sundin talent and strong

Clark sheer old school western disposition

JT pro

The other guy !!! ???

All time
Not even close

Mr. Kennedy : determination , leader , fighter , face offs , guts like no other multiple cups and on and on and on

Mr Keon : mentally strong , best 2 way Leaf , leadership , demanding , no nonsense, pro , on and on and on

Sittler: so good , so tough , leader , competitor, scorer , fighter , so good , on and on and on

Then the rest

Last edited:

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
13 - very classy and somehow managed to keep a team full of very intense , very type A's on the same page .Big game, moment player who also lead on the ice.

17 - would of been my number one if he didn't miss so much time . Old school leader who laid it on the line when needed .

93 - technically his captaincy didn't go well but prior to it was the teams inspiration on the ice . He truly left everything he had on the ice . True warrior.

03 - shackled by a pretty medioccur team still thought he was the guy that demanded respect.

Tavares for myself just seems to be missing any kind of "it" factor. Not a knock on him and we have no way of really knowing but he just seems so vanilla .

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Guys have to remember Doug Gilmour wasn't actually a great captain for the Toronto Maple Leafs. He was definitely a leader but did his best work in 1993 and 1994 with Clark as the captain. When he inherited the role the Leafs were in decline. Inconsistent regular seasons in the lockout shortened 1995 season, and in 1996, first round playoff exits, before things totally bottomed out in 1996-97. As things were bottoming out, Dougie requested a trade out of Toronto and was shipped to New Jersey.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Close between Phaneuf and Tavares. I go with Tavares because how much he is performing below his bloated salary and the fact that he has managed zero success with a much better team than Phaneuf ever had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad