Rank the Defensemen

How would you rank the Flyers’ defensemen?

• Total voters

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Choose your top 4 and rank them according to current and future value. Please also explain your thinking.

I will count up votes that have logical explanations.

Last edited:

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
#1 Prorov
#2 Sanheim
#3 Ghost
#4 Myers

This is as of today, with optimistic desire for tomorrow. I'm both a fan of Gudas and Morin, but recognize both of those guys should be defense first, and while not black holes on offense, will be complimentary guys based on the good work of others. Neither MOrin or Gudas are expected to create, nor drive, offense.

Provorov looks like the most complete defenseman right now. He does everything except QB a PP. Really enjoying his rushes up ice lately. A few too many die in the corner or in a turn over behind the net. Part on him, part on forwards not getting available.

Sanheim looks every bit as good as anyone else, yet doesn't make it look as effortless on the defensive end, he's the 2nd best QB on the PP. Really enjoying how he's being used on the PK, and to finish games. Haven't noticed any starfish, or other bonehead plays. An invisible defenseman in the d-zone is a good defenseman in the d-zone.

Ghost is too talented not to be a top four guy. His rookie year and last year are just too damn good to not recognize this guy works on a
different level when allowed to operate freely. Unlike so many, I appreciate his defensive prowess in not allowing opposing teams to exit their zone cleanly, guy is a terror for unsuspecting forwards getting checked so far up ice. But yes, he can be a potential liability when hemmed in his own zone.

Myers, wing and a prayer. The around the world highlight from the Phantoms the other day does have a part in this. but he's too good for the AHL, especially when the Flyers still have AMac (who's been better as of late, but is still primarily, booty) on the active roster.Unfair advantage, he's a righty. Double secret unfair advantage, he's a francophile.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I really don’t know. None have been particularly good this season. Well, Gudas has been good for his role, but it’s tough to rank him ahead of players with more minutes.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Choose your top 4 and rank them. Please also explain your thinking.

I will count up votes that have logical explanations. The following points system will be applied for each ranking:

#1: 2 points
#2: 1 point
#3: -1 point
#4: -2 points

I found this points system extremely confusing so I voted Schlemko.

Reactions: wankstifier

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If I had to rank based on how much I value them, now and going forward:

Ghost
Sanheim
Provorov
Myers

Ghost has hit a peak none of the rest have matched or will likely be able to match. He's capable of scoring like an elite offensive defensemen, other than a year when he was injured and this current fluke year. Outside of his offensive ability, he's also proven he can play solid defense against opponents top players because he's smart, quick, and good with his stick. Similar to how Giroux works on the boards.

Sanheim has awesome offensive potential that we've seen flashes of and he's also shown incredible defensive ability too. In the game against Edmonton he had multiple fantastic shifts where he completely neutralized McDavid on the rush and with time I'm sure he'll show this kind of play more consistently. Getting him back to the left side will help him produce more offensively too. And obviously he needs to be properly used on the PP. I think he has the potential to pass Ghost in the next few years as our best defensemen, but it's too early for me to rank him above Ghost just yet.

Provorov has also proven a lot by showing he can play a lot of minutes and be a great defensemen, but I don't see the same offensive potential the top 2 guys have and I don't think his defense is enough to make up for that gap. He's had ups and downs and needs to be used better too. He's playing too many minutes and needs to be off of the powerplay completely. It's been tried, it failed, move on.

Myers is obviously last here, at this point, because he's too much of an unknown. I think he can also turn into a very good top 4, if not top pair, defensemen. I'm curious to see how much scoring he'll be capable of at this level, especially since it's unlikely he'll get PP time.

---------------------------------------------------
For the rest of them, my rankings would be:

Gudas
Morin
Schlemko
Hagg

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
1) Sanheim
2) Ghost
3) Provorov
4) Myers
5) Morin
6) Gudas
7) Hagg

Those first three are close and certainly could change but that’s where I have them all things considered right now.

Myers is a wild card - he could really end up absolutely anywhere on this list.

Gudas is probably more important than Morin for the next 1.5 seasons, but Morin is more important after that.

I don’t hate Hagg like others on here, but he stands little chance of improving much from where he is right now because his physically skills won’t permit him. I actually don’t mind him as a sixth or seventh defenseman, but when this team is at their peak we don’t want him playing more than 15 minutes a night - preferably less.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
1) Sanheim
2) Ghost
3) Provorov
4) Myers
5) Morin
6) Gudas
7) Hagg

Those first three are close and certainly could change but that’s where I have them all things considered right now.

Myers is a wild card - he could really end up absolutely anywhere on this list.

Gudas is probably more important than Morin for the next 1.5 seasons, but Morin is more important after that.

I don’t hate Hagg like others on here, but he stands little chance of improving much from where he is right now because his physically skills won’t permit him. I actually don’t mind him as a sixth or seventh defenseman, but when this team is at their peak we don’t want him playing more than 15 minutes a night - preferably less.

I’m a big fan of Provy but still don’t think it’s crazy to think sanhiem could become a better player. I don’t think it will happen but it speaks to how great sanhiem has looked.

Reactions: flyersjim73

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Wow, tough.

Sanheim 1.a
Ghost 1.b
Provy 1.c

All three of Sanheim/Provy/Ghost are really freaking close for me.

Myers 2

The difference b/w Sanheim, Ghost and Provy is offence favours Sandy and Ghost. I LOVE Provy too, don't get me wrong. All three are capable of defending and playing big minutes with great vision, and IQ.

I do think Sanheim has the highest ceiling, Ghost the best offence and Provy probably the highest floor.

I wouldn't trade TRADE ANY OF THESE 3

Myers 4th for obvious reason of he hasn't proven anything yet.

Reactions: Ruck Over

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
1.Provorov (will become our most reliable and complete Dmen)

2.Sanheim

3.Myers (future expectation)

4.Gudas

5.Morin

6.Hagg

....Did I forget someone?

Oh yeah

7. Ghost :sarcasm: (striiker overreaction upcoming)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
1.Provorov (will become our most reliable and complete Dmen)

2.Sanheim

3.Myers (future expectation)

4.Gudas

5.Morin

6.Hagg

....Did I forget someone?

Oh yeah

7. Ghost :sarcasm: (striiker overreaction upcoming)
f1627bf3b1081717768deaf13eb9591a.png

;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad