Rank NHL top 10 prospects by country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Chaos said:
Put Eriksson with Nilsson on the top line the whole tournament and put Salmonsson with Ahsberg and Fredriksson/Svensson/whatever spare the whole tournament and then see who outperforms who. Sorry if I put a bit more stock into 1 1/2 season's of solid play in a men's league than I do into a 6 game tournament against 17,18,19 year olds. Im not going to take it back.....just not going to happen ;) .
And why is younger Salmonsson put on a line with Nilsson (and outplaying him)? Because of a bad coach or because I'm right?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Chaos said:
So his LINE was against Crosby's line......was that Sweden's choice? Or did Canada put Crosby's line out there whenever Salmonsson's line was out there? Also like how all these posts are on the Pens board.
I don't spend my time searching for you.
And the fact it is on the Pens board doesn't change the truth of it all.
I didn't direct you to posts stating how Salmonsson was the second coming of Mario Lemieux. These posts were only stating facts.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Evilo said:
And why is younger Salmonsson put on a line with Nilsson (and outplaying him)? Because of a bad coach or because I'm right?

Probably because Sweden was trying to spread the offense around(at least thats what I've heard, perhaps the Swedish posters can confirm this)...but I cant tell you the coach's thinking in making up his lines.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Loui Eriksson is still a better prospect than Johannes Salmonsson. "Salles" play is more inconsistent. Loui shows up for work every game.

I think its pretty impossible though to make a top 10 of the best prospects. That depends on how you look at it. There are some players who none of you have mentioned, who is putting up respectable numbers in SEL, while a lot haven´t been tested, because they are younger.

My top 10 would be based on potential:

1. Henrik Lundqvist
2. Niklas Kronwall
3. Dragan Umicevic (when olli Jokinen says he is the most talented player he has ever played together with Kozlov, you know theres something special about him).
4. Lars Jonsson (is having a great season, i know boston has tried to get him to come over, but after this season, he will be really ready)
5. Johan Fransson
6. Alexander Steen
7. Loui Eriksson
8. Carl Söderberg
9. Johannes Salmonsson
10. Yared Hagos (There might be lots of players with higher potential, but Hagos is a really safe prospect. He is a copy of Samuel PÃ¥hlsson with more offensive potential. One of my big favourites).

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Evilo said:
I don't spend my time searching for you.
And the fact it is on the Pens board doesn't change the truth of it all.
I didn't direct you to posts stating how Salmonsson was the second coming of Mario Lemieux. These posts were only stating facts.

You are right...it doesnt change the fact that both Crosby and Salmonsson's line were on the ice at the same time. However, it does change how one watching that game sees it. Perhaps a Pens fan sees it as Salmonsson being assigned to shadow Crosby. I dont know. Perhaps someone who watched the game can tell us whether Crosby was put out there because of Salmonsson or whether Salmonsson was out there because of Crosby.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
rivercanyon said:
I think its pretty impossible though to make a top 10 of the best prospects. That depends on how you look at it.

Agreed. Some might value NHL readiness more than long term potential, or vice-versa. It just depends on what you base it on and your own personal opinion.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Chaos said:
Please...list your top 10 Swedish prospects. I want to see exactly where you stand.
1- Lundqvist
2- Steen
3- Jonsson
4- Kronwall
5- Salmonsson
6- Eriksson
7- Hagos
8- Soderberg
9- Kahnberg
10- Umicevic

It's debatable, but I think it's fair.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Evilo said:
1- Lundqvist
2- Steen
3- Jonsson
4- Kronwall

5- Salmonsson
6- Eriksson

7- Hagos
8- Soderberg
9- Kahnberg
10- Umicevic

Its highly, highly debateable. Thats all I'm going to say about that list.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Chaos said:
Im not going to take it back.....just not going to happen ;) .
Then, we'll have to let it go, because IMO, it's debatable and certainly not a certainty one way or the other.

leafaholix*

Evilo said:
1- Lundqvist
2- Steen
3- Jonsson
4- Kronwall
5- Salmonsson
6- Eriksson
7- Hagos
8- Soderberg
9- Kahnberg
10- Umicevic

Soderberg behind Hagos is a big no-no.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Alexander Steen said:

Agreed....as much as I like Hagos, its similar to the Kesler/Eriksson debate we had a few weeks back. You have the guy with much higher offensive upside(Soderberg) and the safer, 3rd line defensive forward(Hagos).

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Alexander Steen said:

Probably true, but Hagos rules no matter what. He's strong, he never gives up and he's so smart. Also when he pulls on the old blue & yellow jersey he seems to have that great old school attitude that makes him even better, you know like Sundin does. Not that he's anywhere near as talented (unfortunatly).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well I like the ceiling of Jonsson which is why I put him over Kronwall.
Hagos I think is a safe bet, but I'm not impressed by Soderberg anytime I've seen him (though that's not too many).
Of course it's debatable, which was in fact my point (that Salmonsson and Eriksson weren't that far apart to call one of them clearly over the other one).

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Evilo said:
Hagos I think is a safe bet, but I'm not impressed by Soderberg anytime I've seen him (though that's not too many).
Of course it's debatable, which was in fact my point (that Salmonsson and Eriksson weren't that far apart to call one of them clearly over the other one).

Fair enough....this is the last thing Im going to say in the Salmonsson/Eriksson debate(as its obviously getting neither of us nowhere). If Salmonsson can stick in the SEL and play repsecably(doesnt even have to put up "big" numbers like Eriksson), then perhaps I will take back my "not arguable" statement. Until then, I stand by what I said ;) .

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Evilo said:
If "big" is 13 points and "not big" is 5, the line is thin.;)

Might be thin, but there is definately a difference ;). Good to see there is someone here who can debate a point without resorting to childish comments or attacks :) .

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
How does Jiri Hudler fit into the Czech rankings. He only played 12 games last year, making him eligible for the Calder. Or are we talking about players that haven't played at all?

leafaholix*

Evilo said:
In the games I saw the two, Soderberg was the dominant player... maybe not on the scoresheet, but he has the skating ability, physical presence, and smarts of a NHL player. His passing seemed perfect and he was fearless.

As for the Eriksson/Salmonsson debate, I'd easily give the nod to Eriksson because of what he's managed to do in the SEL... though I'm not sure he's going to be as good as Salmonsson, Johannes is a tremendously talented player and you're lucky to have him.

Right now, Eriksson should be ahead... but who knows, in 2 months you could have Salmonsson up ahead of him in the rankings. There all very close, Eriksson, Soderberg, Salmonsson.

A great group of forwards. Dallas, St. Louis, and Pittsburgh should be happy with those guys. As should Toronto with Steen, of course we can't forget about him... he's the greatest... Swede... ever to walk on this planet.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
I am quite the fan of Eriksson, but not at all that sold on Salomonsson. I have actually never seen Salmonsson dominant, not with the national team and not with Djurgården. Therefore it is really encouraging that he is doing well right now, because if some of you would have attended the u20 tournament in Sweden in November..., you would all have thought Eriksson was lightyears better than Salmonsson.

Salmonsson has had problems with injuries, consistency and his productivity. Hopefully things will turn his way from here.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Chaos said:
Might be thin, but there is definately a difference ;). Good to see there is someone here who can debate a point without resorting to childish comments or attacks :) .
I guess it CAN be done! :D

A Good Flying Bird*

Captain Conservative said:
What, higher than Korpikoski, Bergenheim, and Jokinen isn't high enough?

Well, he referred to him as the best skill package since Saku Koivu.
And Koivus are few and far between.

I was shocked by the Koivu comparison.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
Well, he referred to him as the best skill package since Saku Koivu.
And Koivus are few and far between.

I was shocked by the Koivu comparison.

Of course, the comparison was not to Saku Koivu but to the next best guy. The quality and depth of Finnish forwards since Koivu is poor and I defined the criteria very accurately for Filppula to beat the likes of Olli Jokinen and Tuomo Ruutu.

Damn, I took the trouble to present Filppula from the best possible point of view and now I'm countering my own argument. I guess I'm too level-headed.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Not to be mean against the swedes, but I'd see Filppula higher than Steen on a nordic list, but still not making my top 10 list.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Evilo said:
No Salmonsson?

I'm surprised he's ranked so low on most swedish lists, since he's probably their best player in this WJC and has played better than Nilsson for instance, who's ranked higher in some people's lists.

Those players are better at the moment. Salmonsson and Eriksson have long ways to go yet to become regular NHL players, and those ten I've listed are more possiblet to step right away into a lineup if NHL started today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad