Rank NHL top 10 prospects by country

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
How does Aki Seitsonen fall into the picture for Finland? Not top 10, but where would he place?

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
nomorekids said:
I think Jokinen is kind of a "what you see is what you get" kind of guy. He's putting up some nice numbers in Finland...but I kind of see him as the forward version of Petteri Nummelin...great in Finland, average in the NHL. For what it's worth..I sort of feel that way about Jarkko Immonen, as well. I think guys like Tukonen will have their game translate better, but that's just my opinion.

Well obviously I have higher hopes for him than that(like we all do for our own prospects) ;) .

A Good Flying Bird*

Pekka Lampinen said:
For a list including this year's draft class, reaching to Filppula and beyond:

1. G Kari Lehtonen
2. G Hannu Toivonen
3. F Petteri Nokelainen
4. G Tuukka Rask
5. RW Lauri Tukonen
6. C Mikko Koivu
7. D Teemu Laakso
8. G Antero Niittymäki
9. C Valtteri Filppula
10. RW Sean Bergenheim
11. C Jarkko Immonen
12. F Jussi Jokinen
13. W Lauri Korpikoski
14. D Sami Lepistö
15. D Risto Korhonen

Filppula's rank doesn't quite reflect the appreciation I have for his talent as he's preceded by players with roles different from his. He's the best combination of speed, skill, hockey sense and consistency out of Finland since Saku Koivu and could easily become a high-scoring player in the NHL.

Wow. High praise.
Why, then, is he not higher on your list?

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
Wow. High praise.
Why, then, is he not higher on your list?

As far as competition goes, I already gave the reason (four goalies, three physical forwards and a flawless defenseman). Nokelainen and Koivu are such solid players that they are basically guaranteed a long NHL career, but yeah, you could claim that Filppula is a better prospect than Tukonen. However, for now, I have faith in Tukonen to make good use of the 2½ years Filppula has on him.

In the WJC, Finnish forwards didn't have the hockey sense to connect, pass the puck and play cohesively in tight spots. Filppula alone would have been more valuable to the team than their actual best three forwards together.

The problematic thing about Filppula's development is how well his offense can take the transition to Detroit. Until he can score ~35 points in the NHL, his role will be so defensive that it can hurt him in the long run. Even though he'll always be a lacking finisher, I see now limit to his skill in general.

leafaholix*

Filppula is underrated, I was very impressed with what I saw at last years WJC.

His skill level was on par with any American forward.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Robertsson 4-ever said:
1 G Henrik Lundqvist, NY Rangers
2 D Niklas Kronwall, Detroit
3 C Yared Hagos, Dallas
4 D Lars Jonsson, Boston
5 L Magnus Kahnberg, Carolina
6 C Alexander Steen, Toronto
7 R Jari Tolsa, Detroit
8 C Jonas Nordquist, Chicago
9 L Dragan Umicevic, Edmonton
10 D Douglas Murray, San Jose
No Salmonsson?

I'm surprised he's ranked so low on most swedish lists, since he's probably their best player in this WJC and has played better than Nilsson for instance, who's ranked higher in some people's lists.

leafaholix*

Evilo said:
No Salmonsson?
He's too young, I think he'll get more recognition on these lists later on.

Same with Carl Soderberg and Johan Fransson.

leafaholix*

Evilo said:
No Salmonsson?

I'm surprised he's ranked so low on most swedish lists, since he's probably their best player in this WJC and has played better than Nilsson for instance, who's ranked higher in some people's lists.
In the games I've seen (probably 3 Swedish games), Carl Soderberg's been better than Salmonsson.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Alexander Steen said:
In the games I've seen (probably 3 Swedish games), Carl Soderberg's been better than Salmonsson.
I know you'll tell me the "stats don't tell the whole story" argument everyone uses when it fits one's point, but Soderberg has 3 points in 5 games and is -1. Salmonsson has 7 points (5+2) and is +2. And of course, Salmonsson is playing in a defensive role.

leafaholix*

Evilo said:
I know you'll tell me "stats don't tell the whole story" argument everyone uses when they fit their point, but Soderberg has 3 points in 5 games and is -1. Salmonsson has 7 points (5+2) and is +2. And of course, Salmonsson is playing in a defensive role.
As I said, in the games I saw Carl Soderberg was an overall better player than Salmonsson. Physically he was stronger, bigger, and used his size... where Salmonsson was quicker, but much lankier.

I think it may have been only 2 games (vs. Canada, vs. US).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I haven't seen all the games either, so I won't argue, but the general consensus around this swedish team (either from articles or from posters here) was that Salmonsson was one of the best if not the best swede in this tournament (and of course the tournament doesn't make the career). If you add the hype at the draft from people saying he was worth a first rounder if it wasn't for injuries, I don't understand how he misses most people's lists on the top 10 prospects for Sweden.

leafaholix*

Evilo said:
I haven't seen all the games either, so I won't argue, but the general consensus around this swedish team (either from articles or from posters here) was that Salmonsson was one of the best if not the best swede in this tournament (and of course the tournament doesn't make the career). If you add the hype at the draft from people saying he was worth a first rounder if it wasn't for injuries, I don't understand how he misses most people's lists on the top 10 prospects for Sweden.
Notice how most of the guys on that top 10 list are well into their 20's? I think that has something to do with it as well.

Age.

Guys like Kronwall, Lundqvist, Hagos, etc... have played much longer in the SEL and I'm pretty sure most of those guys have played with the national team.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Age shouldn't come into play when you consider the "prospect" status of every player.
Who would take a Shane Endicott over a Sidney Crosby (though I love Endicott!)?

leafaholix*

Evilo said:
Age shouldn't come into play when you consider the "prospect" status of every player.
Who would take a Shane Endicott over a Sidney Crosby (though I love Endicott!)?
But Salmonsson is not Crosby... and the players on that list are not Shane Endicott.

There's a lot of players that would be ahead of Salmonsson because he's far from proven himself in the Swedish League... it would be unfair to have him infront of guys like Umicevic, Steen, Lundqvist, Hagos, Kronwall, etc... when they've all proven something.

I've said it before, I like JS and I'm cautiously optimistic he'll be one of the top Swedish prospects soon enough... atleast when he fills out a bit.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well I didn't make that comparison player-wise but age-wise.
If the question is who is the best prospect, then it has nothing to do with age.
Lehtonen is the undisputed number one goalie prospect on this site.
Yet he's played 4 NHL games. Would Ty Conklin, who's a good prospect, be considered higher than Lehtonen because of age and experience? Of course not.
Salmonsson, prospect-wise should be top 10 easily in Sweden IMO. If not top 5.

leafaholix*

Evilo said:
Well I didn't make that comparison player-wise but age-wise.
If the question is who is the best prospect, then it has nothing to do with age.
Lehtonen is the undisputed number one goalie prospect on this site.
Yet he's played 4 NHL games. Would Ty Conklin, who's a good prospect, be considered higher than Lehtonen because of age and experience? Of course not.
Salmonsson, prospect-wise should be top 10 easily in Sweden IMO. If not top 5.
Based on what?

I like Salmonsson a lot and I think he'll be a top Swedish prospect soon, but to say he should be top 10 easily is a bit bold when you consider the number of good prospects in that country and his lack of production in the SEL so far (5 assists in 39 games).

I think he falls behind these guys...

Henrik Lundqvist
Niklas Kronwall
Alexander Steen
Magnus Krahnberg
Lars Jonsson
Dragan Umicevic
Loui Eriksson
Carl Soderberg
Johan Fransson

But a couple of those dudes are older, so... I guess he'd fit into the top 10... but it's not "easily"... and definitely not a top 5 right now.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Evilo said:
I know you'll tell me the "stats don't tell the whole story" argument everyone uses when it fits one's point, but Soderberg has 3 points in 5 games and is -1. Salmonsson has 7 points (5+2) and is +2. And of course, Salmonsson is playing in a defensive role.

I dont think playing with Robert Nilsson qualifies as playing in a defensive role, IMO.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Alexander Steen said:
Based on what?

I like Salmonsson a lot and I think he'll be a top Swedish prospect soon, but to say he should be top 10 easily is a bit bold when you consider the number of good prospects in that country and his lack of production in the SEL so far (5 assists in 39 games).

I think he falls behind these guys...

Henrik Lundqvist
Niklas Kronwall
Alexander Steen
Magnus Krahnberg
Lars Jonsson
Dragan Umicevic
Loui Eriksson
Carl Soderberg
Johan Fransson

But a couple of those dudes are older, so... I guess he'd fit into the top 10... but it's not "easily"... and definitely not a top 5 right now.
I'll disagree. I rate Lundqvist, Kronwall, Steen and Jonsson over him. The others are pretty arguable.
In any case, it's a matter of perspective, but he should be top 10 no less.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Chaos said:
I dont think playing with Robert Nilsson qualifies as playing in a defensive role, IMO.
Playing agasint Crosby line and having the responsability of shadowing the "star" of the tournament definately qualifies as a defensive role IMO.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Evilo said:
I'll disagree. I rate Lundqvist, Kronwall, Steen and Jonsson over him. The others are pretty arguable.
In any case, it's a matter of perspective, but he should be top 10 no less.

I'd put Lundqvist, Kronwall, Steen, Jonsson, Eriksson, and Fransson all ahead of him, and I dont think there is any real argument against that, as all 5 of those players have played at least a season in the SEL(and played well) and will be back there once the WJC is over. Salmonsson hasnt even been able to score at the lower levels in Sweden, although he is still young and will almost assuredly improve.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Evilo said:
Playing agasint Crosby line and having the responsability of shadowing the "star" of the tournament definately qualifies as a defensive role IMO.

Not trying to nitpick, but where did you hear that? Because I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Chaos said:
I'd put Lundqvist, Kronwall, Steen, Jonsson, Eriksson, and Fransson all ahead of him, and I dont think there is any real argument against that, as all 5 of those players have played at least a season in the SEL(and played well) and will be back there once the WJC is over. Salmonsson hasnt even been able to score at the lower levels in Sweden, although he is still young and will almost assuredly improve.
Any argument against that?
For instance, Eriksson is one year older, and has a grand total of 24 points in 73 games in the SEL. Nothing earth-shattering compared to Salmonsson who has 5 points in 39 games considering their team situation.
And I won't even touch their performance in this WJC (Eriksson has 4 points, Salmonsson has 7).
So how is it "not arguable" that Eriksson should be ranked higher than Salmonsson?
If anything, it's close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad