Rank NHL top 10 prospects by country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Chaos said:
Not trying to nitpick, but where did you hear that? Because I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere.
Everywhere on this board.
Check the Pens board, use the search feature.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Evilo said:
Any argument against that?
For instance, Eriksson is one year older, and has a grand total of 24 points in 73 games in the SEL. Nothing earth-shattering compared to Salmonsson who has 5 points in 39 games considering their team situation.
And I won't even touch their performance in this WJC (Eriksson has 4 points, Salmonsson has 7).
So how is it "not arguable" that Eriksson should be ranked higher than Salmonsson?
If anything, it's close.

For an 18-19 year old getting 4th line icetime, 24 points is pretty good I would say. Eriksson has also managed to secure a spot on one of the best teams in the SEL. And I dont think you can really judge them just on the WJC(I know you weren't, but this is just a pre-emptive argument ;) ), as Salmonsson was playing with Nilsson the entire time on Sweden's top line, where as Eriksson was playing with a bunch of spares on Sweden's 3rd line. Just look how he performed against the US when given linemates who can actually do something in the offensive zone, and he's the best Swedish player in the game(along with Salmonsson).

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Evilo said:
Everywhere on this board.
Check the Pens board, use the search feature.

Im not seeing it anywhere, even on the Pens board(which is obviously biased towards Salmonsson, just like every other team board is for their own guys).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
24 points is OK, but he hasn't taken the world by storm either.
And I think it's a better way to judge when they're playing on the same team rather than compare two team situations that are different.
So in this tournament, Salmonsson was played with Nillson, and it's probably because the coach felt he could have a bigger impact. And he did have an impact, probably more than any swede in this tournament. Offensively AND defensively.
In any case, I still don't see how Eriksson is "unarguably" a better prospect than Salmonsson.
Anyway, as I said before, it's a matter of perspective, and in mine, Salmonsson is clearly a top 10 swede prospect.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Evilo said:
24 points is OK, but he hasn't taken the world by storm either.
And I think it's a better way to judge when they're playing on the same team rather than compare two team situations that are different.
So in this tournament, Salmonsson was played with Nillson, and it's probably because the coach felt he could have a bigger impact. And he did have an impact, probably more than any swede in this tournament. Offensively AND defensively.
In any case, I still don't see how Eriksson is "unarguably" a better prospect than Salmonsson.
Anyway, as I said before, it's a matter of perspective, and in mine, Salmonsson is clearly a top 10 swede prospect.

And tell me, how many 18-19 year olds getting 4th line icetime in a men's league take the world by storm? I think you are really overlooking Eriksson's performance in the SEL. And of course in your perspective(as a Pens fan) Salmonsson is a top 10 Swede prospect....He's definately close, but he needs to score some more over in Sweden(something he's not even doing at the lower levels) to be "clearly" top 10.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Chaos said:
And tell me, how many 18-19 year olds getting 4th line icetime in a men's league take the world by storm? I think you are really overlooking Eriksson's performance in the SEL. And of course in your perspective(as a Pens fan) Salmonsson is a top 10 Swede prospect....He's definately close, but he needs to score some more over in Sweden(something he's not even doing at the lower levels) to be "clearly" top 10.
It's simply that on their impact (in the SEL or WJC) and their age, I don't see how it's not arguable that Eriksson is a better prospect than Salmonsson.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Evilo said:

So a bunch of threads from the Pens board(of which only 1 really mentions how he is used in a defensive role), and 1 mentioning how Crosby "plowed" through Salmonsson to score.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Evilo said:
It's simply that on their impact (in the SEL or WJC) and their age, I don't see how it's not arguable that Eriksson is a better prospect than Salmonsson.

At Salmonsson's age, Eriksson had cemented a spot on one of the best teams in the SEL, scoring 13 points from the 4th line. Salmonsson cant stick in the SEL, and cant even score at the lower levels.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Evilo said:
oh and at Salmonsson's age, Eriksson had 13 pts.

From the 4th line on one of the best teams in the SEL. Salmonsson isnt even scoring in the lower leagues.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Chaos said:
From the 4th line on one of the best teams in the SEL. Salmonsson isnt even scoring in the lower leagues.
And yet Salmonsson outscores and outplays Eriksson at the WJC, although he's a year younger...
So you're not prepared to take back that Eriksson is a better prospect than Salmonsson and that it is not arguable?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Chaos said:
So a bunch of threads from the Pens board(of which only 1 really mentions how he is used in a defensive role), and 1 mentioning how Crosby "plowed" through Salmonsson to score.
"I think his line was just matched against Crosby's that game."
"Five goals is great but when you consider that he pretty much plays a defensive role its even better."
"Salmonsson was up against the Crosby line."
"So good for Salmonsson, 3 goals so far and he's playing a defensive role with Sweden too."
"He has the BIG ROLE of covering Sidney Crosby"
So here's the florida recount :
- 2 posts mentionning his defensive role.
- 3 posts mentionning he was lined up against Crosby
Bad faith, huh?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Chaos, answer this simple question so that the debate ends, one way or another :
Are you prepared to take back that Eriksson is a better prospect than Salmonsson and that it is not arguable?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I mean, I don't think I'm really biased here.
Biased would be to say : "hey, Salmonsson is as good a prospect as Crosby, Getzlaf or Malkin since he has the same number of points".
I'm not saying that. I'm saying Salmonsson is a top 10 swedish prospect and arguably a top 5.
I don't think it's a stretch.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Evilo said:
"I think his line was just matched against Crosby's that game."
"Five goals is great but when you consider that he pretty much plays a defensive role its even better."
"Salmonsson was up against the Crosby line."
"So good for Salmonsson, 3 goals so far and he's playing a defensive role with Sweden too."
"He has the BIG ROLE of covering Sidney Crosby"
So here's the florida recount :
- 2 posts mentionning his defensive role.
- 3 posts mentionning he was lined up against Crosby
Bad faith, huh?

So his LINE was against Crosby's line......was that Sweden's choice? Or did Canada put Crosby's line out there whenever Salmonsson's line was out there? Also like how all these posts are on the Pens board.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Evilo said:
And yet Salmonsson outscores and outplays Eriksson at the WJC, although he's a year younger...
So you're not prepared to take back that Eriksson is a better prospect than Salmonsson and that it is not arguable?

Put Eriksson with Nilsson on the top line the whole tournament and put Salmonsson with Ahsberg and Fredriksson/Svensson/whatever spare the whole tournament and then see who outperforms who. Sorry if I put a bit more stock into 1 1/2 season's of solid play in a men's league than I do into a 6 game tournament against 17,18,19 year olds. Im not going to take it back.....just not going to happen ;) .

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Evilo said:
I mean, I don't think I'm really biased here.
Biased would be to say : "hey, Salmonsson is as good a prospect as Crosby, Getzlaf or Malkin since he has the same number of points".
I'm not saying that. I'm saying Salmonsson is a top 10 swedish prospect and arguably a top 5.
I don't think it's a stretch.

Please...list your top 10 Swedish prospects. I want to see exactly where you stand.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Chaos said:
At Salmonsson's age, Eriksson had cemented a spot on one of the best teams in the SEL, scoring 13 points from the 4th line. Salmonsson cant stick in the SEL, and cant even score at the lower levels.

Bad comparison. There are quite alot of factors to be taken into account, among these: Frölunda has been a steady top team the last 3 season, Djurgården has not. Loui broke into the SEL under Conny Evensson, a coach known to bring out the best of young players. And not to forget, this years SEL season is a bit different, with each of the teams having 4-7 NHL:ers in their lineups.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Riddarn said:
Bad comparison. There are quite alot of factors to be taken into account, among these: Frölunda has been a steady top team the last 3 season, Djurgården has not. Loui broke into the SEL under Conny Evensson, a coach known to bring out the best of young players. And not to forget, this years SEL season is a bit different, with each of the teams having 4-7 NHL:ers in their lineups.

Exactly...so he managed to get a spot(albeit on the 4th line) on a top team as an 18 year old, and found a way to put up 13 points.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Chaos said:
Exactly...so he managed to get a spot(albeit on the 4th line) on a top team as an 18 year old, and found a way to put up 13 points.

But you obviously have no understanding of how the SEL works. If a team is in a bad spot and the coach is under alot of pressure, there is no way any coach would give a junior player the confidence and ice time he needs to develop. It is actually easier to give a junior player a chance on a good team, because the team and especially the coach is not under so much pressure.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Riddarn said:
But you obviously have no understanding of how the SEL works. If a team is in a bad spot and the coach is under alot of pressure, there is no way any coach would give a junior player the confidence and ice time he needs to develop. It is actually easier to give a junior player a chance on a good team, because the team and especially the coach is not under so much pressure.

See, it seems to me like it would be more difficult for a young player to get a spot on a good team..but you are over there, so I'll trust your opinion in this matter.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Chaos said:
See, it seems to me like it would be more difficult for a young player to get a spot on a good team..but you are over there, so I'll trust your opinion in this matter.

I know why you think that way and honestly I agree that it should be that way, but the fact is that no coach would dare to risk his job or face by icing a 17-18 year old in favour of a seasoned vet if the playoff spot is on the line or even worse - if the team is threatened by relegation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad