Rank F of 2003 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruins4777*

borro said:
By that logic:
Wouldn't Horton have to be knocked down too for 2 season ending back injuries? Waht's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Its probably cause knee injuries are considered more serious then horton's? And horton proved himself more already at the NHL level as well?

I'm just guessing why....personally i think neither should be knocked down too much. They're both 20ish, and i won't start lowering them a large amount till they're 23 and haven't recovered.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Eric Staal
Nikolai Zherdev
Jeff Carter
Thomas Vanek
Patrice Bergeron
Nathan Horton
Dustin Brown
Zach Parise
Ryan Getzlaf
Mike Richards
Andrei Kostitsyn
Eric Fehr
Patrick O'Sullivan
Dan Fritsche
Steve Bernier
Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Anthony Stewart
Corey Perry
Milan Michalek

A lot of those players I have only seen at the WJC.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
E = CH² said:
Eric Staal
Nikolai Zherdev
Jeff Carter
Thomas Vanek
Patrice Bergeron
Nathan Horton
Dustin Brown
Zach Parise
Ryan Getzlaf
Mike Richards
Andrei Kostitsyn
Eric Fehr
Patrick O'Sullivan
Dan Fritsche
Steve Bernier
Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Anthony Stewart
Corey Perry
Milan Michalek

A lot of those players I have only seen at the WJC.

Absolutely dreadful.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
Absolutely dreadful.

Michaelek is down on my list because of the 3 reconstructive knee surgeries.

Pouliot also seems pretty frail, has had history with injuries but that's not why I'm down on him. I've watched him a lot and while he has a lot of skills he's a bit too much on the soft side. He's also been invisible for half the games I watched of him (about 15). Maybe I caught him on bad days.

Horton went down because of the injuries.

And what can I say I'm not so high on Stewart and Perry.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Captain Conservative said:
True, but to put both Perry and Getzlaf ahead of Brown, Parise, Horton, Michalek, and Vanek reeks of homerism. I had to get a shot in.

Getzlaf is the same calibre of prospect as a lot of those guys you mention IMO. Personally I'd take him over several of them.

Perry on the other hand I don't have in the same range at all. Not a big fan.

Sabes

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I'll take a shot at this. Feel free to flame away.

Eric Staal
Nikolai Zherdev
Nathan Horton
Jeff Carter
Milan Michalek
Thomas Vanek
Patrice Bergeron
Mike Richards
Ryan Getzlaf
Dustin Brown
Zach Parise
Eric Fehr
Andrei Kostitsyn
Patrick O'Sullivan
Anthony Stewart
Steve Bernier
Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Corey Perry
Ryan Kesler
Dan Fritsche
Loui Eriksson
Jeff Tambellini
Patrick Eaves
Jeremy Colliton
Petr Vrana
Hugh Jessiman
Igor Mirnov
Ryan Stone
Robert Nilsson
Konstantin Pushkarev
Stefan Meyer
Josh Hennessy
Vojtech Polak
Brian Boyle
Kamil Kreps
David Backes
Konstantin Glazachev
Marc-Andre Bernier
Cory Urquhart
Dmitri Chernykh
Masi Marjamaki
Evgeny Tunik
Jean-Francois Jacques
Maxim Lapierre
Branislav Fabry
B.J. Crombeen
Colin McDonald

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
EroCaps said:
That's low for Fehr. He's about to break 60 goals and 110pts and win the WHL scoring title.

Tyler Redenback was drafted 50 places lower in 2003 and already won the WHL scoring title last year..

Erik Christensen won it the year before, Nathan Barrett the year before that, Justin Mapletoft in 00-01.. all three of them are currently unexceptional AHLers.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
Well, when a guy places Perry that high for that very reason, why shouldn't Fehr be higher for the same.

Neither would make my top 10 forwards taken in 2003. People shouldn't be placing players high on these type of lists based strictly on stats. Stats don't tell half the story.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
E = CH² said:
Michaelek is down on my list because of the 3 reconstructive knee surgeries.

Pouliot also seems pretty frail, has had history with injuries but that's not why I'm down on him. I've watched him a lot and while he has a lot of skills he's a bit too much on the soft side. He's also been invisible for half the games I watched of him (about 15). Maybe I caught him on bad days.

Horton went down because of the injuries.

And what can I say I'm not so high on Stewart and Perry.

His point is (I think) that having Michalek below Pouliot is ridiculous. Even if one were to drop Michalek because of his injuries (which I think is a foolish move but only time will tell), to put him below Pouliot, a player with just as much injury trouble and not nearly as good a prospect when healthy, is pretty bizzare.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
speeds said:
Out of curiousity, what would Pouliot have to have done this year to move up your list? Or is it simply a case of not liking his adaptability at the NHL level? Wondering if his scoring results are largely influenced by Crosby?

Also interested in your rationale behind McDonald and Jacques ranked at the bottom where you have them? what do they need to do differently to move up in your mind?

Jacques especially I wonder about, sure one might say that his offence won't transfer to teh next level, but no doubt he has an NHL frame, his offence realy improved this year (for whatever that's worth) on a poor team.

He went from 4th in team scoring, with 44 pts in 59 games, to leading his team in scoring (by 15 points) with 74 this year in 66 games. True, one expects that to improve, I guess I'm just wondering what you see as limiting him heading forward?

I see Jacques as more of a 4th line grinder, which isn't a bad thing. I just put the guys with more offensive or higher line potential before him. Same goes for McDonald. To move up, it will be a matter of guys above them busting. The players above them have more potential, but not all of them will make it.

Pouliot isn't that low IMO. He has a slight frame, but still has grit. He's very good defensively, and can put up points. I see him as a borderline 1st line center, somewhat like the Ribeiro situation. Not quite a 1st, but a little more than a second.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Nikolai Zherdev
Eric Staal
Nathan Horton
Milan Michalek
Jeff Carter
Eric Fehr
Andrei Kostitsyn
Mike Richards
Thomas Vanek
Ryan Getzlaf
Patrice Bergeron
Patrick O'Sullivan
Zach Parise
Anthony Stewart
Dustin Brown
Hugh Jessiman
Corey Perry
Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Dan Fritsche
Steve Bernier
Jeff Tambellini
Ryan Kesler
Patrick Eaves
Petr Vrana
Robert Nilsson
Dmitri Chernykh

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
Epsilon said:
His point is (I think) that having Michalek below Pouliot is ridiculous. Even if one were to drop Michalek because of his injuries (which I think is a foolish move but only time will tell), to put him below Pouliot, a player with just as much injury trouble and not nearly as good a prospect when healthy, is pretty bizzare.

I guess I see what you're saying, but on the other hand Pouliot's injury troubles/concerns were highest heading into this season. He's played every single game for Rimouski this year, while (I haven't followed him much recently, he's not back playing yet is he) from what I have heard Michalek hasn't come back yet?

Or is Michalek back now?

*edit* I'm not saying I necessarily think Pouliot is going t be the player of this draft or anything, but I do feel his accomplishments are written off because he's playing with Crosby. And his stats probably should be projected downwards, it can't be hurting him to play on a line with Crosby and Roussin.

Then again, if someone told me heading into the year that thru 67 rimouski games, Pouliot would have played ALL 67 games, I'd have been quite happy. Not to mention:

4th in points (105)

t-3rd in assists (66)

t-5th in goals (39)

4th in +/- (+42) - though this stat need be taken with a dose of salt(as do the others of course), since he's 4th in the league but also 4th on Rimouski

t-3rd in PP goals (18)

1st in shots (355)

54.9% face-off % (though he hasn't been taking faceoffs for a good 15 games for Rimouski, so I guess there are some concerns about why that is (perhaps playing though an injury)

Currently riding a pretty damn quiet 25 game points streak.

Stats aren't the be all and end all, then again, a guy would probably rather he have these numbers than not?

And they don't say everything about his future potential either, I just thoiught I'd throw them up anyways.

Last edited:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Epsilon said:

Pouliot's injury problems are not anywhere near what Michalek's one are.

I'm going by what I read in this thread, that he got 3 major reconstructive knee surgeries on the same knee. I'm sorry but I just don't see him having a good career in the NHL. And while I'm down on Pouliot, he has some skills, and that's enough to put him over a kid who's career is really in jeopardy.

But then I haven't had the chance to watch them all. I really don't care if my list is bizarre, dreadful, brutal, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad