Perry
Fehr
Stewart

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Flames Draft Watcher said:
That doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a better NHLer than the majority of those guys. Stats aren't everything, especially at the junior level.

Well, when a guy places Perry that high for that very reason, why shouldn't Fehr be higher for the same.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Legionnaire said:
Well, when a guy places Perry that high for that very reason, why shouldn't Fehr be higher for the same.
McDonald19 placed Perry that high because of stats, and he is a Ducks fan.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
MrMastodonFarm said:
McDonald19 placed Perry that high because of stats, and he is a Ducks fan.

Well half of it is homerism and half of it is that I have seen him play and I love his offensive creativity and I think he can bring it to the NHL level.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
Well half of it is homerism and half of it is that I have seen him play and I love his offensive creativity and I think he can bring it to the NHL level.

This guy is second in Canada, right behind Crosby. He have to be a good player to do that. He will probably make it to the NHL...he will just need some years in the AHL to learn to play more physical...

As for Kostitsyn, well, nah, I'm just kidding :D

Matty

May 20, 2002
Strawberry Fields
Visit site
I_Am_Canadian said:
Call me a homer but for all some of those prospects are worth offensively I think the majority of them don't have their head on straight yet and have not reached a level of maturity in that I've seen of Kesler. He's ranked so low with everybody simply because he doesn't project to be the top scoring forward. What people forget is that team don't just draft in either black or white. They draft players who are best at being a dominant shade of gray... like Kesler.

It'll be interesting to see a list say 5 years from now. IMO Kesler will only go up. History has shown that more than half of those offensive forwards will never live up to their hype. With Kesler though, it's hard to imagine him not living up to his '3rd line' status (possible but unlikely IMO). And I would say his 'ceiling' is higher than some give him credit for.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Indeed. A problem with those lists is that they are too often colored by draft positions.

the poster has been using the model of the 1st 2 rounds...so thats the only two rounds i used.

John Flyers Fan said:
I'd have to think that 2 major knee surgeries, and nearly two lost seasons, would have to knock Michalek down a few pegs.

same would go for Horton, who has had many injury plagued seasons. Nobody knocks him down peg though. Besides, the news i've been hearing about Michalek has been promising.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
McDonald19 said:
well I'll try a top 15

Zherdev
Bergeron
Staal
Carter
Getzlaf
Perry
Parise
Brown
Horton
Michalek
Vanek
Richards
Kostitsyn
Fehr
Stewart

there are too many good forwards hard to make a list...easily could have put in Nilsson, Eaves, Tambellini, Jessiman, Pouliot, Kesler, Pushkarev, O'Sullivan, etc.

2003 is just a great draft.

and yeah I know I'm going to get flamed for putting Perry so high.

Hooooooooomer.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
gars59 said:
Zherdev
Staal
Bergeron
Vanek
Kostitsyn
Carter
Brown
Horton
Parise
Michalek
Getzlaf
Richards
Fehr
Stewart
Perry

i like this list...although i'd take kostitsyn out, and move him under getzlaf. also, move vanek below parise...add kesler to the bottom.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Til the End of Time said:
The underrating of Eric Staal continues! I swear, there must be a conspiracy against him.

What are you talking about? Stall is 2nd or 3rd on every list! Zherdev is better then him and you can hardly denied that...Stall isn't really underated :dunno:

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Zherdev is better then him and you can hardly denied that

I most certainly can deny that. What exactly does Zherdev have over Staal? Offense, plain and simple. But in all other areas, Staal is superior. And even when considering offense, Staal is no slouch.

So yes, I feel Staal is underrated in this thread, as well as in the hockey world in general. Partly I feel that's because he was drafted by Carolina, but I still have a hard time blaming that entirely.

Not that this is an indication of who is the better player, but in retrospect, I think a team like Columbus would most certainly rather have Staal than Zherdev. There really is no doubt in my mind that while Zherdev is more exciting to watch, Staal will be among the most valuable players in the league.

Vic Rattlehead*

I most certainly can deny that. What exactly does Zherdev have over Staal? Offense, plain and simple. But in all other areas, Staal is superior. And even when considering offense, Staal is no slouch.

So yes, I feel Staal is underrated in this thread, as well as in the hockey world in general. Partly I feel that's because he was drafted by Carolina, but I still have a hard time blaming that entirely.

Not that this is an indication of who is the better player, but in retrospect, I think a team like Columbus would most certainly rather have Staal than Zherdev. There really is no doubt in my mind that while Zherdev is more exciting to watch, Staal will be among the most valuable players in the league.

Ya, being second or third on people's list must be sooooo bad.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Partly I feel that's because he was drafted by Carolina, but I still have a hard time blaming that entirely.

he didn't exactly light up the NHL in his rookie season. He went the last 33 games without a goal.

Also, Zherdev was drafted by the huge hockey city known as Columbus. Seriously, they have as big a fan base as Carolina, and the same pull in the hockey community.

bruins4777*

pavel datsyuk said:
he didn't exactly light up the NHL in his rookie season. He went the last 33 games without a goal.

Also, Zherdev was drafted by the huge hockey city known as Columbus. Seriously, they have as big a fan base as Carolina, and the same pull in the hockey community.
ummmm actually columbus has a HUGE hockey base...no sarcasm needed. Their inagural year they sold out every home game. They have an outstanding base of fans...just not an outstanding team.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky

According to all the draft pundits Zherdev was #1 on Columbus' draft board the entire time. The big line of the draft was that "the top 4 teams all got their #1 players". I doubt much has changed for any of them.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
pavel datsyuk said:
thats how i see it. Feel free to disagree, just dont post that i 'hate' a player.

Out of curiousity, what would Pouliot have to have done this year to move up your list? Or is it simply a case of not liking his adaptability at the NHL level? Wondering if his scoring results are largely influenced by Crosby?

Also interested in your rationale behind McDonald and Jacques ranked at the bottom where you have them? what do they need to do differently to move up in your mind?

Jacques especially I wonder about, sure one might say that his offence won't transfer to teh next level, but no doubt he has an NHL frame, his offence realy improved this year (for whatever that's worth) on a poor team.

He went from 4th in team scoring, with 44 pts in 59 games, to leading his team in scoring (by 15 points) with 74 this year in 66 games. True, one expects that to improve, I guess I'm just wondering what you see as limiting him heading forward?

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
I'd have to think that 2 major knee surgeries, and nearly two lost seasons, would have to knock Michalek down a few pegs.

By that logic:
Wouldn't Horton have to be knocked down too for 2 season ending back injuries? Waht's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad