Injury Report: Rangers who already had COVID

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Asymptomatic players still spread the disease...why test anyone then?

The whole point of testing for covid is so that people who have it don't spread it to others...not so that they themselves know what they have.

Why is this so complicated.

I understand that, but I think you can make the argument that given the highly transmissible nature of Omni and our current reality, that the cat is out of the bag with that. It's everywhere. Short of a March 2020 level total shut down, you're not stopping/slowing its spread.

US had 1.3M positives yesterday. A record.

If I'm correct, it takes a few days for someone with the virus to test positive. So you're already ~48 hours behind.

Do everything you can to get these guys, most of whom got the junk J&J shot in August, boosted.

Reactions: Brief Candle

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
This is something they need to figure out. They can't go into the playoffs with this current set up.

Whether its "get a booster and get the NBA deal", or simply reducing testing of asymptomatic guys, something has to give.
Oh I agree. Although I think the Canadian government is the issue here with the Covid bullshit. They need to stop testing the players and only test the ones who feel sick. Imagine if a false positive costs you the season?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I am not sure where I read it but I am almost positive there was a piece in the paper about Trouba in the off season. I will Google it . Edit: I must have been dreaming ....I can't find anything that supports it .
Glad I’m not the only guy having Trouba dreams. We can make a support group

Reactions: leetch99

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Oh I agree. Although I think the Canadian government is the issue here with the Covid bullshit. They need to stop testing the players and only test the ones who feel sick. Imagine if a false positive costs you the season?
Well I don't think its bullshit, but it is somewhat aggressive. Canada is 82% vax'd.

The private sector is starting to mandate boosters. Major companies. Goldman Sachs, Facebook. More will follow. My company (a global investment bank) won't allow you in the building without proof of vax.

The cats out of the bag with slowing the spread. But what you can control is making sure everyone is as protected as possible from getting legit sick.

Friedman mentioned a few weeks ago that Tampa was a team that was almost 100% boosted and that the league hoped they would be seen as the leader in that regard for players. Mandate it and move to the NBA model of testing.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I understand that, but I think you can make the argument that given the highly transmissible nature of Omni and our current reality, that the cat is out of the bag with that. It's everywhere. Short of a March 2020 level total shut down, you're not stopping/slowing its spread.

US had 1.3M positives yesterday. A record.

If I'm correct, it takes a few days for someone with the virus to test positive. So you're already ~48 hours behind.

Do everything you can to get these guys, most of whom got the junk J&J shot in August, boosted.

Even with as many cases as there have been, I'd like to see your evidence that the NHL's protocol system hasn't slowed down the spread of the virus in the league, players and staff. Without protocol, I think the situation would be far worse than the bad situation it's already been.

Let's not discuss society at large... this is a thread about the hockey team.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY

The whole point of testing for covid is so that people who have it don't spread it to others...not so that they themselves know what they have.

You realize that does nothing, right? You can test and have it, but you were already exposed to others. What's so hard to understand? The entire process is ridiculous and illogical when you actually boil it down to common sense lol.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Now, relating to the hockey team, it's going to hit a team hard in the playoffs and the league will force them or the certain stars to miss the series. Teams will be pissed. But as long as you continue to accept it, don't cry later. My point is, where does it end for the NHL? Your players are all vaccinated now, some boosted, so where do you draw the line with the world's premiere athletes? Are they going to be tested even if they feel completely fine 2,3,4,5 years down the line and we just repeat this process and cancel games over and over, including the playoff ones that could throw a major wrench in things? It's a major issue, and now we see the effects for our team last night. I can't even be mad they lost last night. They didn't have their HC, missing glue guys, etc. They clearly didn't have it. The entire thing is so frustrating already.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
You realize that does nothing, right? You can test and have it, but you were already exposed to others. What's so hard to understand? The entire process is ridiculous and illogical when you actually boil it down to common sense lol.
So if there's a guy with a gun ..and he shoots 50 people...do the cops say...eh he's already done his damage, let's just say f*** it and let him keep going.

1 person exposing 5 people is preferable to 1 person exposing 500.

An r value of 1 or 2 is very different than an r value of 300.

Jfc now I remember why I've basically stopped posting here.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com

I've been saying the same thing all along. Pretty sure it got deleted from another thread, but the whole concept of allowing asymptomatic players to just waltz around like nothing is happening is a disaster waiting to happen. Good for them for not having symptoms, but bad for literally everyone else they interact with through the days where they are contagious as they just spread it to everyone.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Even with as many cases as there have been, I'd like to see your evidence that the NHL's protocol system hasn't slowed down the spread of the virus in the league, players and staff. Without protocol, I think the situation would be far worse than the bad situation it's already been.

Let's not discuss society at large... this is a thread about the hockey team.

Oh I'm not saying that it hasn't prevented spread, it has. My question would be to what extent?

By the time a person tests positive, which again to the best of my knowledge can take a few days after you get the virus, you've exposed everyone within your circle. There is no possible way to truly stop the exposure at the jump.

My argument is that things have changed since March 2020, yet the rules seemingly have not. The omni variant is unavoidable. If you live a life that takes you out of your house into any level of public space (food shopping, malls, bars, restaurants) you've been exposed and will continue to be exposed. My argument is that you can't really do anything to stop the exposure (as proven by the numbers we're seeing), but you can do something about protecting yourself and those around you by getting boosted. Use the idea of the NBA deal as the carrot to get more boosters done.

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
allowing asymptomatic players to just waltz around like nothing is happening is a disaster waiting to happen.

Considering how light Omicron is, how much of a disaster is it if it spreads among the young men at the most elite level of athleticism/health who get the absolute best medical care? I don't think any athlete died of corona yet, certainly not of Omicron. It may not be the worst thing if Omicron spreads in one quick wave, and then the NHL gets back to normal business.

Reactions: Ned Braden

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
EU says they expect half the European population to get covid in the next 45-60 days. In the US, .5% was officially diagnosed in 1 day yesterday, and it is rising every day. Most who have it are undiagnosed, so could be millions of new cases daily. In Britain 10% has covid right now plus the undiagnosed.

This could be the end of a 2 year nightmare by some point in March. That said, there will always be some people who will demand a shutdown so long as even 1 person has corona.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
Considering how light Omicron is, how much of a disaster is it if it spreads among the young men at the most elite level of athleticism/health who get the absolute best medical care? I don't think any athlete died of corona yet, certainly not of Omicron. It may not be the worst thing if Omicron spreads in one quick wave, and then the NHL gets back to normal business.

What about the security guards that check them in? The cleaning staff that maintains the stadium? Etc, etc, etc...? Not to mention all the people they'd com into contact with outside of the game. A rather callous stance to have, don't you think, and for what? A game? I f***ing love this sport and this team. Hockey literally helps me with my mental health through this time of year. Yet even I can understand just how unimportant it is when compared to someone's life.

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
What about the security guards that check them in? The cleaning staff that maintains the stadium? Etc, etc, etc...? Not to mention all the people they'd com into contact with outside of the game. A rather callous stance to have, don't you think, and for what? A game? I f***ing love this sport and this team. Hockey literally helps me with my mental health through this time of year. Yet even I can understand just how unimportant it is when compared to someone's life.

My doctor told me when administering my Vax that it doesn't prevent me from getting covid, just reduces symptoms. And despite the Vax, I had rona. So do several of my friends now. The only way we ever end it is if people get corona and build antibodies. Might as well do it with a very mild strain like Omicron. Who knows if the next strain will be worse. Viruses generally get easier with time, but there's no guarantee.

The staff can get vaccinated and the teams can provide them with superior insurance, while letting high risk people take time off with pay. Teams can afford it short term.

Ultimately the only way to get through this will be natural immunity that comes from getting corona. Forget hockey, our whole society can't go in like this forever. Two years+ is enough.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Curious if we're going to have to keep a list for the flu as well from now on in future seasons. While stadiums across all sports are full of 20-90k screaming drunk people with no masks on a nightly basis and not a single player in pro sports this year has actually been "sick" past a couple of days of fever. Yet watch by the time playoffs comes around some contender is going to get wrecked because they were "positive" (maybe).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad