Post-Game Talk: Avs 6 - Jets 2, Avs lead series 2 -1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
It's comical hearing people actually blame the refs... Vilardi DID high stick someone and that dude was bleeding heavily. What do you think they should do there? Pionk DID clear the puck over the glass... It's a no brainer. The Jets choked.

Helle has been beat five hope from range in the last two games... Normally routine adjustments to make a controlled save are the norm for him but I'm seeing a lot of flopping, diving, double pad stacks... Things we never seen from him and it's now over 5 gaa. This is simply not elite goaltending at all, it's clear he's lacking the mental strength to withstand his play during the playoffs. This is pretty glaring scar on Hellebuyck, great regular season goalie. Terrible playoff goalie.

The Parise goal was just strange. Massive rebound right into the slot. And a terrified flop reaction from Helle... Normally we see him on his knees a minor adjustment and he's got the bottom and top of the net covered. Parise shoots it right at Helle, in all reality staying still and holding his ground gets him a save.

The nichushkin goal you see Helle look that direction where nichushkin has the puck on his stick. Helles head moves away from the post he needs to get to and attempts a double pack stack... Has he practiced that before? It looks like the first time he's attempted it based of the fish out of water result he got.

How about this... Play your game. If you get beat playing YOUR style then so be it. Attempting to be Hasek isn't the answer.

Some other glaring issues here... Iafallo looks extremely tired. Sit him for Kupari who has the wheels to skate with the Avs. Kupari is another guy you can match against Mack with his speed and defensive approach to the game. There is no need to play Iafallo when he's not able to keep up with the play at all

Next game bring in Miller, and Stan. Have Samberg sit, his hot and ready Pizzas are a killer.

We need our forwards to work 50% harder. Absolutely everyone needs to work harder to make this work.

And for god sakes Helle... Relax.
Good post - at least IMO.
The only way the Jets have a chance against a team that has more talent, is to out work them - and they are not. They are mainly shell shocked by the Aves speed and skill. The Jets game is all reactionary - and has them running around, chasing. If they don't ramp it up and get on the Aves before they gain our zone, we are done - we don't have the blueline to compete against the Aves.

It was also nice to see a post where the coach isn't blamed for not solving all the problems the Jets are having. It's simple really - the only way the Jets can beat this team, is to out work them - the Aves have ramped up their game and we haven't. The system Bones uses relies on consistent, hard work in all zones - and he's not getting that. If anyone thinks a new system (with our current talent) will be the difference maker against this Aves team, they are dreaming or have an agenda (like getting their player into the lineup). The Aves are a better team than we are - simple as that - you won't beat them by adding anyone on our roster unless the compete level increases (and your 50% rate makes sense). Add marginal talent won't make a difference - the Jets need their team game to show up. Even then, against an Aves team with more skill (who have ramped up their game), we're looking at a long shot unless we leave it all out there and try to frustrate their skill guys.

I agree that making moves that will increase our speed and add hard work to the lineup, are probably the best moves we can make - that might be enough to get the rest of them involved / motivated to get back to what made them successful - it's worth a shot.

Helle at this point is getting killed out there - we are not defending at even close to the level needed to have a chance - and if we expect 37 to save the day, we're dreaming. Not only is it wishful thinking to expect your goaltender to save you when you are being run over, it's not much of a game plan.

The Jets will need to play to their strengths - which is hard work and defensive. Tweaking the lineup of praying for a system that will out skill this team, is not going to happen. Simply stating we need better outlets, or better decision making, or a better PK, or better goaltending, is easy and a waste of time. If they ramp it up to another level, meaning work their asses off, they might have a chance.

And finally, if we take a pile of penalties, we are toast - their skill (especially with the man advantage) is more than we will be able to deal with. The best you can hope for is to take fewer penalties and stem the bleeding.

Reactions: rkp

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
So now he wants them to play the way Schiefele wanted to play last year which is completely opposite than what he has preached for 2 years. Good grief.

IDK. 55 is a great generator of chances and both KFC and Vilardi are great finishers. But a steady cycle with possession as you pick your best shot only works if you have a cycle with possession that allows you to break down a D and pick your best shot.

The Avs know their tending is weak. They are throwing themselves in front of shots to protect that suspect goalie, and making the quick transitions with possession to control the NZ, and the OZ, as the Jets are hemmed in.

If the Jets are hitting Georgiev with 40+ quality shots every game while giving up 20, they're even at worst by Sunday.

Trust the coaching staff to change things up in time I guess, and the players to execute.

I do wonder in a way if fewer wins and more (and smarter) coaching analysis and fixes make this a stronger playoff team overall.

But whatever. Up to them now. Still think they take G4 and have a shot.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Good post - at least IMO.
The only way the Jets have a chance against a team that has more talent, is to out work them - and they are not. They are mainly shell shocked by the Aves speed and skill. The Jets game is all reactionary - and has them running around, chasing. If they don't ramp it up and get on the Aves before they gain our zone, we are done - we don't have the blueline to compete against the Aves.

It was also nice to see a post where the coach isn't blamed for not solving all the problems the Jets are having. It's simple really - the only way the Jets can beat this team, is to out work them - the Aves have ramped up their game and we haven't. The system Bones uses relies on consistent, hard work in all zones - and he's not getting that. If anyone thinks a new system (with our current talent) will be the difference maker against this Aves team, they are dreaming or have an agenda (like getting their player into the lineup). The Aves are a better team than we are - simple as that - you won't beat them by adding anyone on our roster unless the compete level increases (and your 50% rate makes sense). Add marginal talent won't make a difference - the Jets need their team game to show up. Even then, against an Aves team with more skill (who have ramped up their game), we're looking at a long shot unless we leave it all out there and try to frustrate their skill guys.

I agree that making moves that will increase our speed and add hard work to the lineup, are probably the best moves we can make - that might be enough to get the rest of them involved / motivated to get back to what made them successful - it's worth a shot.

Helle at this point is getting killed out there - we are not defending at even close to the level needed to have a chance - and if we expect 37 to save the day, we're dreaming. Not only is it wishful thinking to expect your goaltender to save you when you are being run over, it's not much of a game plan.

The Jets will need to play to their strengths - which is hard work and defensive. Tweaking the lineup of praying for a system that will out skill this team, is not going to happen. Simply stating we need better outlets, or better decision making, or a better PK, or better goaltending, is easy and a waste of time. If they ramp it up to another level, meaning work their asses off, they might have a chance.

And finally, if we take a pile of penalties, we are toast - their skill (especially with the man advantage) is more than we will be able to deal with. The best you can hope for is to take fewer penalties and stem the bleeding.

Good, thoughtful post.

I think roster makeup is a real factor though, for reasons other than speed or hard work. We've already seen Schmidt come in and make a difference partly by calming things down and partly b/c Samberg is more effective on his right. That's a change that helped.

If there are other changes that will also help -- you make 'em. Fast.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Toff's goal was pure fluke. One lucky play doesn't change game performance from putrid to good. Nino needs to show up on the game sheet at some point any way he can. At least Apples looks like he is trying.
Toffoli did almost nothing in the game.
He did create a fluke goal that we needed and kudos to him for that.
BUT... when he really had a chance to make a difference, when he was in all alone he couldn't find the net. The guy brings nothing other than scoring to the table and was gift wrapped a chance to make a real difference and we got nothing for it.

His skating looks similar to weak beer league skaters.
Like not even on the level of the "good players" in those rec leagues.
The guys who played some junior looked like better skaters than tiny eyes.

Monahan has whiffed on a few empty net chances.
The Jets had enough chances early in that game to win and just couldn't convert.
Barring telekinesis or some other super power interference I'm not sure how we change the outcome on Sunday.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Toffoli did almost nothing in the game.
He did create a fluke goal that we needed and kudos to him for that.
BUT... when he really had a chance to make a difference, when he was in all alone he couldn't find the net. The guy brings nothing other than scoring to the table and was gift wrapped a chance to make a real difference and we got nothing for it.

His skating looks similar to weak beer league skaters.
Like not even on the level of the "good players" in those rec leagues.
The guys who played some junior looked like better skaters than tiny eyes.

Monahan has whiffed on a few empty net chances.
The Jets had enough chances early in that game to win and just couldn't convert.
Barring telekinesis or some other super power interference I'm not sure how we change the outcome on Sunday.
What you say about Toffoli's skating ability is true. Quite often he is left up-ice when the play is already back in the Jets' zone (or close to it). On his breakaway, he looked slow and awkward and of course, messed up his play at the net. Serious consideration should be given to swapping him out for Perfetti. He's definitely not slower and sees the ice better. And, yes, Monahan has whiffed a surprising number of times (aging out?). However, I like him taking the draw and I think that a EMP line would be more effective than EMT. Just my opinion.

tarozi

Oct 4, 2019
If Perfetti continues to sit he may ask for a trade rather than sign with this team.
Sorry but the monkeys do not run the zoo. Move him then. You can't be worried about feelings. He is not a difference maker, just a cog in the wheel. There was a reason he dropped to us in the draft. Love his IQ, but he would get exposed against the Avs power and speed.

Too many years of finishing middle of the road and not hitting home runs with picks has placed us exactly where we are today. I don't question the effort but this team as assembled is not a legit stanley cup contender and we are playing against a team that is. No amount of coaching or game adjustments is going to change that. We have punched above our weight class and I for one appreciate the effort and results this season, but it doesn't look good.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I agree to some extent but management has been trying to rebalance the roster with players like Vilardi, Iafallo, Nino etc and these guys aren't bringing those intangibles either. I honestly don't know what's going on with this group.

I think we absolutely needed that defensive foundation Bones has brought, but we needed coaching to also bring in an offensive scheme that would work with our skilled players and that hasn't happened.

They need an upgrade on the backend and may have to trade someone to get one. One thing watching the playoffs is your D is far more important then your forwards. They need another player of Morrissey's caliber on the backend.

I love Ehlers but he's been a no show these playoffs. I would like at moving him this off season for some one

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It's the glaring PIMs the Jets take (leaving guys bleeding on the ice or the puck cleared over for delay of game) that have to be called.
I think the issue that people have with the Vilardi penalty is that the refs didn't see it. They didn't call it. Obviously he sticked the guy and it was bad. But in my 5 decades of watching hockey I've seen countless examples of missed calls. Dude is bleeding all over the ice and bench, but if they didn't see it they didn't see it. This one felt like they made the call based on the evidence on the ice despite not seeing the infraction. Usually if the linesmen are bringing the call to the refs attention it happens quicker. This one seemed like they looked at the puddle of blood and decided they better just call it. And if you're calling it of course it's a double minor.

Reactions: Ponds

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think the issue that people have with the Vilardi penalty is that the refs didn't see it. They didn't call it. Obviously he sticked the guy and it was bad. But in my 5 decades of watching hockey I've seen countless examples of missed calls. Dude is bleeding all over the ice and bench, but if they didn't see it they didn't see it. This one felt like they made the call based on the evidence on the ice despite not seeing the infraction. Usually if the linesmen are bringing the call to the refs attention it happens quicker. This one seemed like they looked at the puddle of blood and decided they better just call it. And if you're calling it of course it's a double minor.

Murat said in his post game article that the linesman saw it, and the linesman can't call a minor penalty. If he was bleeding, then it's reviewable as a double minor and the linesman can make the call.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They need an upgrade on the backend and may have to trade someone to get one. One thing watching the playoffs is your D is far more important then your forwards. They need another player of Morrissey's caliber on the backend.

I love Ehlers but he's been a no show these playoffs. I would like at moving him this off season for some one

I got dumped on at the deadline for sayinh we wasted assets on a forward we didn't need instead of upgrading the d. It's looking like management made the wrong call.

They also should have tried ro get a look at Ville this year. His strengths are one of the things we are missing.

I don't even see how the org can justify paying Fly 7 to 8 million to stay when he doesn't produce when it matters most.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Still a series, other than that 3rd period we were where we needed to be.

I understand the doomsday feeling but there is no way we were going to sweep the best team in the West, and every team has to come back from a loss of you're going anywhere in the playoffs.
One game at a time. We have some options, Perfetti, Miller etc. one game

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I like Nik more than most on here and you need to give to get but I don't think he gets you a top pairing d man in a trade, other teams aren't blind he plays his own game and has yet to produce in the playoffs. Still the Jets need to find a player to play with Joshua cause DeMelo really isn't that player, might be a moot point as he is a UFA

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I like Nik more than most on here and you need to give to get but I don't think he gets you a top pairing d man in a trade, other teams aren't blind he plays his own game and has yet to produce in the playoffs. Still the Jets need to find a player to play with Joshua cause DeMelo really isn't that player, might be a moot point as he is a UFA

He doesn't get you a top pairing guy but maybe he gets you a better dmen then Pionk for the second pairing.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Dillon looks like an old man this playoffs. Not sure if time has caught up with him, he was so solid during the year.

I am moving on from Dillon and trading Ehlers if you can for a D. I think with the emergence of the young forwards we have you can afford to part with him.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Dillon looks like an old man this playoffs. Not sure if time has caught up with him, he was so solid during the year.

I am moving on from Dillon and trading Ehlers if you can for a D. I think with the emergence of the young forwards we have you can afford to part with him.

I'm not sure what kind of D you get for a rental Ehlers.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I forgot Bro is done as a Jet. There's no point in playing him. Should have signed him for longer or given him 10 more games. He'll make good somewhere.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I forgot Bro is done as a Jet. There's no point in playing him. Should have signed him for longer or given him 10 more games. He'll make good somewhere.

Only reason he signed here is because we didn't think we would resign Helle. 100% he is moving on this summer. Likely going to try and ply his craft with Toronto or Edmonton.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I think AJF comes in on the 4th and either Gus sits or Apple comes out with Gus going in his spot. Wouldn't be surprised if Perfetti comes in.

Schmidt moves to Dillons spot. Miller in

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I hate when people complain about the refs BUT if you give any Stanley Cup contender 5 PPs in the 3rd period especially in the first 10 mins you are going to lose 99% of the time.
What's weird I thought in the playoffs the refs don't want to decide the game so they let them play. The Vegas series I know only 2 games but there was only 6 penalties called total 3 for each each team and both games the teams had even penalties..
They were letting them play even though Avs should have had some penalties and I was okay with that but all of a sudden you start calling them. I know the high stick deserved it but usually the refs try to even it out which they didn't because Connor was tripped on that play.
Great video showing the missed calls on the Jets.

Yikes that’s bad.

Reactions: Ponds
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad