Post-Game Talk: Rangers vs SENS, Saturday 1pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
We’re not trying to make the playoffs this year, from an ‘rush to get assets’ standpoint though.
Why aren’t we though ? The team looks not bad and those are cheap assets to get. Imo we need more skill but the team should have definitely been making moves in the summer to help the roster

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Why aren’t we though ? The team looks not bad and those are cheap assets to get. Imo we need more skill but the team should have definitely been making moves in the summer to help the roster

What I mean is that the guys we have, and the coach, are trying to make the playoffs.

From a management perspective we shouldn’t be giving up meaningful assets on much at the moment.

We did make moves in the summer to help the roster. We brought in two D and one forward. By the looks of what the actual good players got, it was one of those situations where now is not the time for trading quality assets, or signing good vets to money and term.

We are down 3 centres right now, and one is back soon. While I certainly don’t mind picking someone up, I wouldn’t want to trade anything of value at the moment in panic move. Pinto will be back soon, so whatever we brought in up front can’t block any of the kids.

Why not let a couple guys from Belleville play a few games?

Personally I would be happy with a trade for someone seen as a long term addition, otherwise reward some guys in the system.

We have looked pretty good in every game, it’s not like we’re getting blown out and need help desperately in my opinion.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
What I mean is that the guys we have, and the coach, are trying to make the playoffs.

From a management perspective we shouldn’t be giving up meaningful assets on much at the moment.

We did make moves in the summer to help the roster. We brought in two D and one forward. By the looks of what the actual good players got, it was one of those situations where now is not the time for trading quality assets, or signing good vets to money and term.

We are down 3 centres right now, and one is back soon. While I certainly don’t mind picking someone up, I wouldn’t want to trade anything of value at the moment in panic move. Pinto will be back soon, so whatever we brought in up front can’t block any of the kids.

Why not let a couple guys from Belleville play a few games?

Personally I would be happy with a trade for someone seen as a long term addition, otherwise reward some guys in the system.

We have looked pretty good in every game, it’s not like we’re getting blown out and need help desperately in my opinion.
If the goal is to try and make the playoffs then depth is probably one of the most important factors

we lack that and have lacked that for the past two seasons.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If the goal is to try and make the playoffs then depth is probably one of the most important factors

Yes, but the goal hasn’t been to make the playoffs from the management level for the last two years, or this year. Player drafting and development is still the priority. They have been open about this, Pierre has come out and clearly articulated that competing for wins is the goal this year, not to make the playoffs.

Even up to last year the coaching staff had a mandate to focus on development of young players over wins.

This year the coaches are now trying to focus on developing the kids to win games, but that’s still the goal. It seems the idea is to not even consider the playoffs until the kids learn how to compete every night for wins, and start winning some games during the season as a result.

In a season where the goal isn’t to expect a playoff team, but to compete in eagerly game, it does not seem the time add a bunch of temporary depth to the roster to make a push. It seems more like the time to teach the team to play through adversity, while waiting to find the right deal. Better for us to capitalize on the panic of another team, than for us to panic in a year where we aren’t looking to make a playoff push.

Reactions: Dionysus

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

The team lacks more than "depth". It needs a #1 center and #1RD.

The team does not match up well with the top half of the teams in the league at this time. We have some young players and prospects that may become top 6 Fs or top 4 Ds but not enough at this time. More development is required.

Plus we need an injection of offensive talent which likely will require a top 5 draft pick such as the #1 pick in the next draft. The rebuild has only just begun. :)

Reactions: DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Eh, we pretty much dominated for most of the game.

Check out the Expected Goals.

MoneyPuck.com

Stutzle was the most dominant skater to no ones surprise.

Obviously the two points are what is important, but we carried the run of play for massive portions of the game.

Some people attend games. Some watch on TV. Some read boxscores

We unquestionably were the better team thru 55 minutes

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I have no problem with Paul dropping the mits, not one.

What I take issue with is Logan Shawn on the PK when Norris and Tierney exist.

The fact that our 4th line is a liability is what killed us.

Remember when we traded for Stälberg, Burrows, Wingels to boost our playoff run lineup? Those sorts of trades need to be made YESTERDAY.

We've got White, Pinto, Watson and Bishop out right now, 3 of them centers.

Injuries happen. Ottawa is the 5th team where Shaw has gotten into the NHL because of injuries

If Logan Shaw is playing and we've got a healthy roster, you've got a point.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Nope. Funny how the philosophy was to build a tough team, but we really don't have an answer for that kind of thing, or a guy like Reaves who could thwart that kind of thing from becoming too much of a thing.
So dumb. What’s the point of the goons being here.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Nope. Funny how the philosophy was to build a tough team, but we really don't have an answer for that kind of thing, or a guy like Reaves who could thwart that kind of thing from becoming too much of a thing.
Thats what I'm talking about!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
So dumb. What’s the point of the goons being here.

I disagree.

Reeves was a zero factor beyond playing hockey last night.

It’s always damned if you do, damned if you don’t in here.

Paul takes an I’ll advised major at a critical time in the game, and folks are upset that someone else don’t take another penalty chasing Kreider?

No, we had a game to win. Paul should have been happy with the cross check and the win. And Kreider can take a beating first period next game.

Game management people, Neil was king at that. Keep a long memory and you can settle scores, but you have to win the game first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix and Crosside
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad