GDT: Rangers vs Senators | Home Opener | Saturday Oct. 5 | 7 PM | CityTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
1b0.jpg
I look forward to being wrong when Ron Hainsey is given less ice time or scrachted for being one of the worst Dmen in the league.

lol

Reactions: Variable26

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Nothing wrong with commenting on poor decisions by the coaching staff in the interim.

I didnt like the hire from the get go and don't see him being here if/when they turn the corner in a few years anyways. Seems like he's got a new group of favorites ahead of the youth like Boucher. Hopefully that changes.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Nothing wrong with commenting on poor decisions by the coaching staff in the interim.

I didnt like the hire from the get go and don't see him being here if/when they turn the corner in a few years anyways. Seems like he's got a new group of favorites ahead of the youth like Boucher. Hopefully that changes.

I think it has been discussed before. We have those who are getting paid millions. Those guys auto-magically get a spot on the roster. Then there are those that worked hard to make the team. Aside from Sabu, who IMO was brought in to deter and fight when required, I think it's fine for a last place team

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think it has been discussed before. We have those who are getting paid millions. Those guys auto-magically get a spot on the roster. Then there are those that worked hard to make the team. Aside from Sabu, who IMO was brought in to deter and fight when required, I think it's fine for a last place team
Right, but he's obviously a big reason a few of these guys were brought on and he divies out the ice time. It will be an ongoing, season long assessment with daily criticism based on his choices.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Right, but he's obviously a big reason a few of these guys were brought on and he divies out the ice time. It will be an ongoing, season long assessment with daily criticism based on his choices.

I guess, but it has been one game. One. And the Belleville are just starting. Not sure what you want him to do at this stage.

I like what he is trying to do. We saw it in the 1st period. More pressure on the puck carrier is a big improvement. Not giving up the blue line easily is another. This team is not made for collapsing. They need to skate and take away space

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
I hope Batherson has a better showing this time around. I love people complaining about Sabourin being on the “3rd line”. We have no 3rd or 4th line. He scored last game, actually gets to pucks on the forecheck and isn’t a liability. After watching him play I have no issue with him in the lineup, assuming he isn’t taking minutes away from someone we’ve invested our future in. Based on that I’m not wild about Chlapik sitting out, but I doubt he sits long. Boedker’s either gotta go ASAP, or Chlapik should be sent down. Barring injury to higher up portions of the lineup.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I guess, but it has been one game. One. And the Belleville are just starting. Not sure what you want him to do at this stage.

I like what he is trying to do. We saw it in the 1st period. More pressure on the puck carrier is a big improvement. Not giving up the blue line easily is another. This team is not made for collapsing. They need to skate and take away space

I dunno how you expect them to do that. We're the worst skating team in the league with the majority of the roster being below average NHL skaters. If they try to pressure the puck carriers, it'll just open up space for them to make plays.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
I have hope the rangers beat the jets but to be honest didn't loook that great most of the game.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Well there was preseason as well which had a lot of people questioning the ice time and opportunities being given, along with who made the team and who didnt.

Preseason, one game, 82 games, it doesnt really matter, its a fluid ongoing discussion and people that didnt want him hired in the first place are allowed to call out the red flags they predicted or other criticism. I'm not ready to overly criticize him yet, but its a valid discussion that will be ongoing for his entire tenure no matter how long that lasts and it doesnt feel like the right role for a mod to be trying to shut it down.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
A lot of hockey talk everywhere is about the coach and who is playing and who is playing with who and how much ice time players get. When your team is expected to finish very close to the bottom of the league for one and when your GM hires a Leaf coach and then proceeds to sign a bunch of x leaf players for two and when that coach puts a prospect into the the press box in Game 2 when the team is marketing the kids for 3. People are going to discuss it and not necessarily in a flattering way. Its not an overreaction. Its a reaction. Concerns are worthy of comment and discussion. Listen to the pregame show. What are they discussing

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I dunno how you expect them to do that. We're the worst skating team in the league with the majority of the roster being below average NHL skaters. If they try to pressure the puck carriers, it'll just open up space for them to make plays.
Already?

I’m just saying it is early. Sometimes the worst skating team is a cautious team

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
A lot of hockey talk everywhere is about the coach and who is playing and who is playing with who and how much ice time players get. When your team is expected to finish very close to the bottom of the league for one and when your GM hires a Leaf coach and then proceeds to sign a bunch of x leaf players for two and when that coach puts a prospect into the the press box in Game 2 when the team is marketing the kids for 3. People are going to discuss it and not necessarily in a flattering way. Its not an overreaction. Its a reaction. Concerns are worthy of comment and discussion. Listen to the pregame show. What are they discussing

I think there’s a danger of illegitimate critiques this early on, mainly due to people still thinking of him as a leaf as well as having a boner for J-Martin. I don’t like Chlapik sitting for Boedker, but I get there needs to be a rotation at this point, and I don’t think he’ll be doing so for long. Were it someone with a much higher upside like Brown I’d be chapped, assuming he hadn’t been given a proper chance and didn’t shit the bed with the ice time received. Chlapik seems to be more of a plug and play guy. That said, if Batherson plays like Lucic again in terms of missing puck left right and center, I wouldn’t be opposed to sitting him for a game.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think there’s a danger of illegitimate critiques this early on, mainly due to people still thinking of him as a leaf as well as having a ***** for J-Martin. I don’t like Chlapik sitting for Boedker, but I get there needs to be a rotation at this point, and I don’t think he’ll be doing so for long. Were it someone with a much higher upside like Brown I’d be chapped, assuming he hadn’t been given a proper chance and didn’t **** the bed with the ice time received. Chlapik seems to be more of a plug and play guy. That said, if Batherson plays like Lucic again in terms of missing puck left right and center, I wouldn’t be opposed to sitting him for a game.
See a discussion. It can happen. Critiques are just that .. sometimes people are wrong , sometimes they are right .. they are not illegitimate

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
See a discussion. It can happen. Critiques are just that .. sometimes people are wrong , sometimes they are right .. they are not illegitimate

Illegitimate critique by my definition essentially means incorrect. Unfounded etc. Doesn’t mean they should be barred from entry.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Illegitimate critique by my definition essentially means incorrect. Unfounded etc. Doesn’t mean they should be barred from entry.
An example
I criticize the coach for sitting Chlapik. You say there is no issue sitting out a young player 2 games in. Is my criticism illegitimate or unfounded. I don't think so.. Not sure how anyone can even say its wrong. Its an opinion. My opinion that Chlapik shouldn't be sitting is critical of the coach's decision. Saying don't be so critical of the coach it's only the 2nd game ..does nothing to make my opinion or critique of the coach illegitimate. All it says is you are willing to agree with the coaching decision. Which is an opinion. I respect it as a valid opinion. I think he should be playing . I think that is also a valid opinion.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Chlapik created a goal in the last game and was rewarded for it by being benched then gets the press box the next game. These are facts.

Its just more evidence that Smith is a bad coach. You can reserve that opinion but all the critique is valid. Smith thus far is elevating bad players who he has a history with and burying our youth who deserve more based on their performance and production. The onus should be on Smith to prove he's a good coach and not us to prove he's a bad coach based on his own history. Theres no reason to believe he will be a successful head coach in the NHL.

Maybe things will change but I think that will become very obvious going forward.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Chlapik created a goal in the last game and was rewarded for it by being benched then gets the press box the next game. These are facts.

Its just more evidence that Smith is a bad coach. You can reserve that opinion but all the critique is valid. Smith thus far is elevating bad players who he has a history with and burying our youth who deserve more based on their performance and production. The onus should be on Smith to prove he's a good coach and not us to prove he's a bad coach based on his own history. Theres no reason to believe he will be a successful head coach in the NHL.

Maybe things will change but I think that will become very obvious going forward.
I share that concern right now. He can prove me wrong and I don't consider him changing his ways 1/3 of the way into the season when he realizes he doesn't have the horses to do things they way he wants as proving me wrong.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
An example
I criticize the coach for sitting Chlapik. You say there is no issue sitting out a young player 2 games in. Is my criticism illegitimate or unfounded. I don't think so.. Not sure how anyone can even say its wrong. Its an opinion. My opinion that Chlapik shouldn't be sitting is critical of the coach's decision. Saying don't be so critical of the coach it's only the 2nd game ..does nothing to make my opinion or critique of the coach illegitimate. All it says is you are willing to agree with the coaching decision. Which is an opinion. I respect it as a valid opinion. I think he should be playing . I think that is also a valid opinion.

So keep in mind that I wasn’t labelling your critiques as illegitimate. You’re quite measured in your assessments. Also, I did not state that sitting a young player two games into the season was fine. That’s incorrect (unless your example is purely hypothetical). I would rather see Chlapik play than Boedker. Period. But I do see why they’d want to spread the ice time out between players in a given range of the roster. I also take solace in the fact that I doubt Chlapik sits for long, based on reasons that I mentioned, and that if it’s deemed that he’s not going to play regularly at some point, I think he’ll be sent down. Also given his ceiling, I’m not as pissed at him sitting as I would be were it say Brown who’s more crucial to our future. Batherson sitting for a game though may be needed if his funk continues, but that too wouldn’t last more than a game in my opinion, and could just as easily be sent down as well. There are all separate contexts here. I think an illegitimate critique is more identifiable as a sweeping generalization. Something premature and irrationally biased, and regardless of potential data being shown to prove a point to the contrary is still pushed as indisputable.

“DJ Smith is just like Boucher”.

“DJ Smith prefers grinders to skill players”

“DJ Smith doesn’t like playing young guys”

“DJ Smith is a bad coach”

There’s a difference between those and:

“I don’t like that he plays Brown with Tkachuk and White”

“I don’t like him sitting Chlapik for Boedker”

“I don’t like him playing Hainsey with Brannstrom”

“I don’t like that he didn’t give Logan Brown more ice time in the preseason”

“I don’t like him playing Anisimov and Ennis for 19 minutes each”

All of which are valid points of discussion.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
So keep in mind that I wasn’t labelling your critiques as illegitimate. You’re quite measured in your assessments. Also, I did not state that sitting a young player two games into the season was fine. That’s incorrect (unless your example is purely hypothetical). I would rather see Chlapik play than Boedker. Period. But I do see why they’d want to spread the ice time out between players in a given range of the roster. I also take solace in the fact that I doubt Chlapik sits for long, based on reasons that I mentioned, and that if it’s deemed that he’s not going to play regularly at some point, I think he’ll be sent down. Also given his ceiling, I’m not as pissed at him sitting as I would be were it say Brown who’s more crucial to our future. Batherson sitting for a game though may be needed if his funk continues, but that too wouldn’t last more than a game in my opinion, and could just as easily be sent down as well. There are all separate contexts here. I think an illegitimate critique is more identifiable as a sweeping generalization. Something premature and irrationally biased, and regardless of potential data being shown to prove a point to the contrary is still pushed as indisputable.

“DJ Smith is just like Boucher”.

“DJ Smith prefers grinders to skill players”

“DJ Smith doesn’t like playing young guys”

“DJ Smith is a bad coach”

There’s a difference between those and:

“I don’t like that he plays Brown with Tkachuk and White”

“I don’t like him sitting Chlapik for Boedker”

“I don’t like him playing Hainsey with Brannstrom”

“I don’t like that he didn’t give Logan Brown more ice time in the preseason”

“I don’t like him playing Anisimov and Ennis for 19 minutes each”

All of which are valid points of discussion.
I don't like DJ Smith being a bad coach, who values veterans well past their prime, unskillful grinders and hates talented youth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad