GDT: Rangers vs Senators | Home Opener | Saturday Oct. 5 | 7 PM | CityTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I thought the Rangers should be the one to send us a 2nd rounder in the trade. It turned out even that would have been a lopsided trade.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I thought the Rangers should be the one to send us a 2nd rounder in the trade. It turned out even that would have been a lopsided trade.
I think that was pretty much everyones thought immediately. Made no sense unless it was to compensate for the bonus paid to Brassard just before the trade. Which I guess it likely was.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Are you saying you have no faith in the team's ability to develop its players? [mod]

No. I had no faith in Zbad. It happens. It isn't always the organization's fault. Players aren't video game robots that you can program. Sometimes, they just screw up, or don't bring it. I was happy to see him go. He had the desire and intensity of a doormat. He looks really good now, but also really happy. Really good body language. Was he young? Yes. Problem was he was due a big raise and the team did not want to spend 5+ million to see if he pans out. This team just doesn't do that.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Oh, I'm sure we'd be ok with a true rebuild. I have no problem being in the basement for half a decade or more, providing the organization at all levels is working at developing the kids and creating something good down the road.

This is a slash 'n burn to save you-know-who money.

Well, my hope is that Melnyk sells as soon as possible (within the 2 years please). If he plans to stay the owner for another decade, then it will be very hard to enjoy and make us wonder if he's going to "sell" the best players again.

I think it has more to do with the group running the team who made the trades that got us here still calling all the shots than not having a stomach for a rebuild.

There's no faith in the people at the top to execute a proper rebuild. You can't sit there and say "this is what you all wanted!". We wanted change. This is the same trash from the last 2 seasons just with less bells and whistles and (thankfully) our own first rounder. The players they brought in are the same types we've seen even when Dorion thought his team was good.

I think all we need is a change in ownership. Not sure what would happen to Dorion in that case but he's somebody that I would like to keep as an AGM or scouting director but a demotion like that wouldn't happen, I don't think so.

But yes, we will need that change sooner than later. What is important this year is that the young guys develop (some in the NHL but most in the AHL and other leagues) and that we cash in big time in the upcoming draft (only 8-9 months away). With our pick who will be top-5 and the Sharks pick who could be kind of high as well, it will be the pivotal draft for this rebuild (and 3 more picks in the 2nd round). There's already plenty of good young talent in the organization (Tkachuk, Chabot, White, Batherson, Brannstrom, etc) so all we have to do is be patient and pray everyday that Melnyk sells the team

So in summary, all we should care about is young assets and so far Dorion has been cumulating them. Who cares about Hainsey, Anisimov, Ennis, Ryan, etc? They are just stop gaps, buying time for young guys to develop and not to be thrown into the wolves. The level in the NHL is way too good, no choice.

But you're right, Melnyk has to sell in a not too distant future because he would find a way to f*** everything again.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I am genuinely curious as to how exactly we are supposed to compete for a playoff spot next season according to the "5 year plan"? I get that it is only two games in, but there is nothing on this current roster that really gives us optimism. This is not even a team filled with rookies where we can give them the benefit of the doubt that they are just learning, we have players that are old and useless so this is a legitimate concern.
Are you more optimistic now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->