Post-Game Talk: Rangers vs. Pens | 1/20/13

Dalagaze

Rangers in 7
Apr 6, 2012
NY
pitts as scummy as ever. this game leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

slewfoot, slashes, elbow to mcdonagh's head, high hit on kreider (okay probably his fault, but the guy didn't let up knowing his head was down). i'm just happy if everybody got out of this game healthy.

glad to see cooke is back to his old self.

nash was good. biron was great. best player on the ice. everybody else sucked and was not consistent. everyone on the ice is trying to force the offense and they're ignoring the defense. we need practices.

I agree with all this. If Kreider is hurt, then the next game between these 2 teams has the potential to get ugly.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yeah I don't know, man. He looks average. :laugh: He's a notoriously slow starter.

The Rangers were the one team that needed a long season and camp. They have so much talent but need a lot of chemistry. Trust me - it's there. We all saw it from Pittsburgh. You have great leadership in Hank and Cally. Nash is beasting right now.

It might be a tough 10 games. Maybe even 15. But this team will be on a tear. Watch this.. this hardship is better than being .500. They'll battle through adversity and be dangerous as hell.

Although they could have REALLY done well with a full camp. As long as the locker room stays in tact and no hatred happens like the Pens did to Therrien in 08, they will be good.

This is some serious wisdom right here. I totally agree.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Yeah I don't know, man. He looks average. :laugh: He's a notoriously slow starter.

The Rangers were the one team that needed a long season and camp. They have so much talent but need a lot of chemistry. Trust me - it's there. We all saw it from Pittsburgh. You have great leadership in Hank and Cally. Nash is beasting right now.

It might be a tough 10 games. Maybe even 15. But this team will be on a tear. Watch this.. this hardship is better than being .500. They'll battle through adversity and be dangerous as hell.

Although they could have REALLY done well with a full camp. As long as the locker room stays in tact and no hatred happens like the Pens did to Therrien in 08, they will be good.

I don't see them imploding, and agree with your assessment.

They needed to be knocked down a peg, and to be honest I was really annoyed with MSG tonight. Before the game it was Gianonne I think basically trying to bait Crosby into respecting and saying the Rangers were a legit contender... Stupid arrogance IMHO.

Anyway, they started poorly last year and we all know how that went I think they will be fine.

Either that or you're trying some reverse psychology voodoo... In which case, not cool man.

KatieStrang said:
@KatieStrangESPN
#NYR Tortorella endorsed Orpik's hit on Kreider as clean. "Maybe we need to get whacked around a little more to wake us up.

adam94

BU Terriers
Nov 16, 2011
Long Island
Sucky game overall but Nash looked pretty damn good. Love the way he plays. Hopefully he keeps it up and everyone else steps up.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm not ready to write this thing off. There's something here. I see flashes of it. I just hope we can harness it.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Nash was the best player for the Rangers tonight. Richards played a decent game, as did Pyatt. Callahan was great. Halpern is a lot faster than I thought he would be, too.

The team needs to really work on their offensive chemistry, and they REALLY need to put in a better effort. A blatant penalty one minute into each game is simply from a lack of caring, I mean, what was Richards thinking? Awful way to start the game, momentum was down the tube to begin with. Then, after the tying goal by Callahan, Bickel making an ECHL caliber play led to the loss of momentum that was somehow gained after the early blow. Team looked lethargic until it was too late. They were awesome in the last 10 minutes, but that's not acceptable. They should be playing like that for 60 minutes.

They've got two days to practice and look over gametapes. Get your act together and hammer out this chemistry issue.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
torts hasn't seen a replay of the hit on kreider yet, but maybe he has...if he calls it clean then I will go with that...I apologize for calling for a suspension on Orpik, from what I saw it looked like a headshot, according to torts I was wrong!

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Torts: "Maybe we do need to get whacked around a little bit do wake us up."

That is a pretty bad quote, and shows lack of responsibility on Tort's part. He shouldn't have said that.

The coach's job is to get a team prepared and focused. Not losing games. So far, this team has not looked "ready to play" as Torts has said repeatedly.

Apr 10, 2012
torts needs to keep his mouth shut on hits until he sees the replay. i don't see it as a suspension-worthy hit, but him endorsing the hit does not help our team

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
That is a pretty bad quote, and shows lack of responsibility on Tort's part. He shouldn't have said that.

The coach's job is to get a team prepared and focused. Not losing games. So far, this team has not looked "ready to play" as Torts has said repeatedly.

Disagree 100%. If the team loses games it's all on the coach? Sorry don't see it.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana

Yes he should say that. Their heads are up their *****.

I like Torts calling the team out on their effort.

Agree.

torts needs to keep his mouth shut on hits until he sees the replay. i don't see it as a suspension-worthy hit, but him endorsing the hit does not help our team

Huh? He thinks it was a legal hit, and isn't whining about it, I see that as a plus.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Disagree 100%. If the team loses games it's all on the coach? Sorry don't see it.

well considering he didn't say that, but if he did.....

Yes. The team has not looked good at all for these past two games. He is partly responsible for that.

If they were competitive in these games and just made some glaring mistakes. Ok, that is really not the coach.

But there is nothing to this team, right now, to show they are prepared. Hopefully that can be fixed by mid week.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Ugh, those were just horrific defensive breakdowns.

First Goal: Richards takes a bad penalty and Staal tries to make a fancy outlet pass rather than just clearing the puck when he has the chance.

Second Goal: Bickel makes a terrible play going out of position and getting neither the man nor the puck. I don't understand why Bickel's on the roster. Eminger should be playing over him.

Third Goal: Just bad luck with the puck nicking off Girardi's skate.

Fourth Goal: A sloppy change hangs Lundqvist out to dry.

Fifth Goal: That was an uncharacteristically terrible play by McDonagh. He chased the puck up the right wing boards when he should've been covering the front of the net.

I know Pittsburgh has a lot of firepower, but the Rangers really did it to themselves with their sloppy defensive game. I just hope Kreider doesn't have a concussion.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
well considering he didn't say that, but if he did.....

Yes. The team has not looked good at all for these past two games. He is partly responsible for that.

If they were competitive in these games and just made some glaring mistakes. Ok, that is really not the coach.

But there is nothing to this team, right now, to show they are prepared. Hopefully that can be fixed by mid week.

I think it's a collective funk. This team is based around a few core hockey principles: forechecking, blocking shots, cycling, and playing the boards. They don't look conditioned, or in shape IMHO. I'm blaming the lockout, and I don't care what anyone thinks, it's true. HOWEVER, on the bright side, hopefully over time they will be ready to go and not dig themselves too much of a hole.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Ugh, those were just horrific defensive breakdowns.

First Goal: Richards takes a bad penalty and Staal tries to make a fancy outlet pass rather than just clearing the puck when he has the chance.

Second Goal: Bickel makes a terrible play going out of position and getting neither the man nor the puck. I don't understand why Bickel's on the roster. Eminger should be playing over him.

Third Goal: Just bad luck with the puck nicking off Girardi's skate.

Fourth Goal: A sloppy change hangs Lundqvist out to dry.

Fifth Goal: That was an uncharacteristically terrible play by McDonagh. He chased the puck up the right wing boards when he should've been covering the front of the net.

I know Pittsburgh has a lot of firepower, but the Rangers really did it to themselves with their sloppy defensive game. I just hope Kreider doesn't have a concussion.

Yep.

I'm not worried about the offense. Outside of McD and MDZ though, i'm very worried about the D. We had an awful last month of the regular season last year, and weren't as good in the entire second half of the season as some want to believe.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
What irks me is why Orpik felt it necessary to hit one of our guys high with 30 seconds left in a 6-3 game his team is winning. I'm livid at Boyle for not pummeling his ass into the ice.

That said, watch out when this team gets rolling and gets some practice time in. Once Gaborik gets going and Lundqvist is back to his old self, this will be a very, very good team that will be a force to be reckoned with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad