Post-Game Talk: Rangers vs Flyers | 29/1/13: Get well soon Cally

Kershaw

Not sure how I feel about Torts calling out Hagelin. I think he was really pissed about the team almost giving away the game in the third and he got a question about Hagelin and sort of went off about it without thinking too much. I have faith in his ability to manage the guys though, he's done well so far. If he can keep Hags hungry and playing like he did tonight, that's fine by me.

My guess is that he doesn't want any of the blame to go to Nash/Richards/Gaborik this early in the season and is making an example out of a young player like Hags.

SupersonicMonkey*

Speaking of Stepan - this was the first game that I can remember where our forward line with Stepan-Cally duo a part of it - showed some semblance of chemistry and looked dangerous offensively.

Really am upset with Cally's injury - he is this team's heart and he's going to be terribly missed even if his offensive production and PK skill can be replaced.

Girardi definitely deserve a star for last night's effort - I actually went with all defense - G, McD adn MDZ.

Agree, I was thinking the same thing, Step-Cally were finally clicking.

Really pissed Cally is hurt. We need him.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Don't pay attention to the bashers. Just like a couple years ago the short-sighted people wanted Girardi sent packing and then they wanted Del Zotto sent packing. Some of us actually realize that they're going to be good players. The same can be said for Stepan.

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
Totally unacceptable at this point in the season.

The Leafs are playing Kostka 32 minutes a game.. we are looking like a joke team like them if we continue using McDonagh in this way. It WILL come bite us in the ass in the end..

Especially since McDonagh plays from the left like Staal and Del Zotto, the side we have the most depth in. I'd rather lose more games in the regular season than wear out McDonagh to this degree

*Bob Richards*

I don't think Stu saw a second of ice time after the first. At this point it's just comical, demote him and it should be the last we ever see of him. This rolling of 4/5 D killed us in the end last season.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The Leafs are playing Kostka 32 minutes a game.. we are looking like a joke team like them if we continue using McDonagh in this way. It WILL come bite us in the ass in the end..

Especially since McDonagh plays from the left like Staal and Del Zotto, the side we have the most depth in. I'd rather lose more games in the regular season than wear out McDonagh to this degree

McDonagh isn't even in the top 20 of average icetime around the league. He and Girardi are 23rd and 24th

If you want them to be top pairing defensemen that's how many minutes they're going to play (24-25). That's pretty much what the best defensemen in the league play every single year

One game of high icetime isn't enough to freak out about

Aug 7, 2005
upstate
McDonagh isn't even in the top 20 of average icetime around the league. He and Girardi are 23rd and 24th

If you want them to be top pairing defensemen that's how many minutes they're going to play (24-25). That's pretty much what the best defensemen in the league play every single year

One game of high icetime isn't enough to freak out about

Plus if they stop taking 6+ penalties per game his ice time will also decrease.

Kershaw

Totally unacceptable at this point in the season.

It's absolutely acceptable. Ryan McDonagh and Dan Girardi have developed a reputation as being possibly the best defense pairing in the NHL, they should be able to handle these minutes on a night-to-night basis.

What I like more this year is that Torts is shuffling through minutes with the defenders on a game to game basis. Against the Leafs, DZ and Staal played 27 and 26 minutes respective.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It's absolutely acceptable. Ryan McDonagh and Dan Girardi have developed a reputation as being possibly the best defense pairing in the NHL, they should be able to handle these minutes on a night-to-night basis.

What I like more this year is that Torts is shuffling through minutes with the defenders on a game to game basis. Against the Leafs, DZ and Staal played 27 and 26 minutes respective.

None of them should be playing over 22-23 minutes a game. I understand some games will go over, but not every single one. What happens if a game goes to OT? Should McDonagh play 33 minutes?

Kershaw

None of them should be playing over 22-23 minutes a game. I understand some games will go over, but not every single one. What happens if a game goes to OT? Should McDonagh play 33 minutes?

We don't have a competent 3rd pairing to spread even minutes like those, that's the problem.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I don't think Stu saw a second of ice time after the first. At this point it's just comical, demote him and it should be the last we ever see of him. This rolling of 4/5 D killed us in the end last season.

I'm pretty certain he was there just in case the game got out of hand. Would be surprised to see him in the lineup over Eminger on Thursday.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
A lot of the hype came from shredding the WJC competition at age 19... it happens with 1-2 guys a year.

Schenn had a 6 point game and another multi point game...both against bottom feeding teams during that tournament.

When it matters he was, and has always been, awful.

His draft position and his huge offensive output in juniors is what had/s him hyped, but he's simply an above average prospect.

Seriously, how does a guy go from 53 points in 27 WHL regular season games to 11 points in 10 playoff games? That is a major problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad