Post-Game Talk: Rangers vs. Ducks - 12/19/17

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Third best goal differential in the conference. Go figure.

I figure. The Rangers are pretty damn good and have been pretty damn good for 7 years now. It's why at 1-5-2 I wasn't hitting any panic buttons. Being a legit contender for the better part of a decade supersedes a rough start.

18-7-1 since. 100+ pt pace, pretty much right where they've been since they got over the initial growing pains with AV in 2013. Already starting to feel like another year where the regular season is a warmup for The Dance. 86% to make the playoffs according to SportsClubStats (and trending up big while Carolina, Pitt, Icelanders, Bloo Coats are trending down big). National Hockey League Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats,

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Can you explain?
Haha. I just meant, I think Vesey’d have more value as a righty. He often ends up on the doorstep to the right of the goalie and gets handcuffed by pucks shooting through the crease. Also the Rangers could use a gritty righty on the pp, in ny opinion.

Last edited:

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Haha. I just meant, I think he’d have more value as a righty. He often ends up on the doorstep to the right of the goalie and gets handcuffed by pucks shooting through the crease. Also the Rangers could use a gritty righty on the pp, in ny opinion.
Understood. Right handers have become prized these days. Not sure why he ends up on the right side but I remember his recent goals were on the left side.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Carey Power Rankings:

1. Paul (Last Week: 2)
Two goals last night elevate his all around decent play and put him at the top this week.
2. Mariah (1)
It is mid-December, and every year the '90s idol is in full swing with holiday songs blaring over mall speakers. But she doesn't score goals for the Rangers, so she drops a notch.
3. Drew (3)
Don't really know what he is doing these days.
4. Jim (4)
He was a goaltender, right? He was the Pet Detective. I know that.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I figure. The Rangers are pretty damn good and have been pretty damn good for 7 years now. It's why at 1-5-2 I wasn't hitting any panic buttons. Being a legit contender for the better part of a decade supersedes a rough start.

18-7-1 since. 100+ pt pace, pretty much right where they've been since they got over the initial growing pains with AV in 2013. Already starting to feel like another year where the regular season is a warmup for The Dance. 86% to make the playoffs according to SportsClubStats (and trending up big while Carolina, Pitt, Icelanders, Bloo Coats are trending down big). National Hockey League Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats,

At 1-5-2 I was concerned that AV was growing stale and the team needed a change. I still expected, given the talent and experience of the guys on the roster, that they'd be right in the thick of the playoff picture sooner or later. The turnaround has been great though. I thought they'd be where they're at by Christmas so they beat me by a couple weeks.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
One other thing to keep in mind with our resurgence has been the crazy amount of home games we've had. The schedule gets much tougher soon with lots of road trips. Once we're playing two road games for every home game (the opposite of what we've done to this point) we'll get a better picture of where we really stand. This upcoming NJ game will be a good test.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
It is ironic that we are crazy good at home but no good on the road so far, which is 180 degrees from recent times. We had the best road record last year, I believe.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
I want to see how an extended road trip goes while they are playing good hockey before I strip them of the "Road Warrior" label. Plenty of time to turn around their fortunes away from MSG.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

They are a good team but the schedule concerns me a little. They play 28 out of next 48 on the road (not including Winter Classic as road game) and if this was last year when they were road warriors it wouldn't be a problem but so far this year they are only 5-7 away from MSG.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
So what's that now.....11 consecutive wins for Henke at the Garden? Pretty good for an old washed up ex-Vezina winner.
1 more win to tie Tony O for 8th all time wins. Again, not bad.

I'll admit, I have a tendency to take for granted what Henrik brings, just like I once did for all of our great goaltenders. And yes, we have been very fortunate in that area. What a luxury, just ask teams like Philly and the Blues. Saw some ridiculous stat that the Blues all time leader in shutouts had only 23. Jeez.

Anyway, in appreciating Hank more now than ever. He is battling father time and doing very well. He wants that Cup!

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
That said, Tampa's GD is mind-blowing.
It really is quite the differential. Playing devil's advocate here but......you just have to believe the "lesser teams" in TB division is decidedly "less than" what we have going on in the Metro. Still cannot totally discredit their dominance and feel happy knowing we've beaten them in their barn.....#aceinthehole

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
It really is quite the differential. Playing devil's advocate here but......you just have to believe the "lesser teams" in TB division is decidedly "less than" what we have going on in the Metro. Still cannot totally discredit their dominance and feel happy knowing we've beaten them in their barn.....#aceinthehole
Excellent point!

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
He has had a HOF career and has won everything but the cup. I would love nothing more than to watch him hoist Lord Stanley over his head.
So would all of us but I wish he'd learn to pace himself during the season so he plays less games.... able to stay sharp without playing so much so he has plenty of gas left in the tank for the long playoff meat grinder.

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Sam is really losing it. I missed the first last night and was watching it again on nhl.com. Sam said we traded Stepan to get Zibanejad. Come on, Sam.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Sam is really losing it. I missed the first last night and was watching it again on nhl.com. Sam said we traded Stepan to get Zibanejad. Come on, Sam.
Wow. I missed that. He was in strange form last night. I'll bet he'll do the "Those chants are Henrik, Henrik, not Henrique, Henrique" again on Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad