Post-Game Talk: Rangers vs. Ducks - 12/19/17

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Vesey dragged that line down...dd and Carey showed good chemistry. Out nieves back in move dd to wing and then sit vesey

I think the rangers played one of their best games all year top to bottom..other than vesey not many people didn't play well. The system let up a few a plus shots...but it always does...Henrik is definitely on form.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Exactly. This is why I think people wanting to trade good players even if we're a playoff team just because we're not perfect are a little wrong. If we're a playoff team and Hank is still Hanking come April, how can anyone say we don't have a shot? We all know this team is a possession team disaster, they're a shot quality team. Whether or not that's the best path to success, that's the system they're playing. It works when your goalie is playing great.

Well are we going by what we think is a "good team" or just a lower seeded team? Nashville was an 8th in the West last season, 2012 Kings were an 8 seed, 2014 Kings were 6th in their conference.

I just think with the parity in the league today and the cap really limiting teams, it's making everyone closer and closer.

I mean, it's not a great model to go by but it's just some evidence that the better team doesn't always win a playoff series. You just have to win 4 games first. A hot goalie can win you a series.

Plus, you never know with injuries and stuff. Our team last year was mediocre to bad and still, there was a realistic path to the Cup final especially with all of Pitt's injuries they had piling up.

You just never know.
The problem is that a hot goalie is unlikely to win you four series. Hank was the reason we beat the Habs. He came back down to Earth against the Sens and you saw what happened. This team doesn't have enough talent to win a series when Hank is below par.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
So does AV get the credit for scratching Boo instead of DD/Carey?

Hank is the way of life.
No because vesey should have always been the one to sit out for d.d.

I could see benching d.d. or not. but I still think putting him in for vesey would have been smarter move if u want him to play.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
How often does this happen though? The Senators were the only bad team in recent memory to make a run like that.

The sens weren't a bad team last year unless you consider 98 points bad and it happens enough to make "just get in and anything can happen" much more realistic in salary cap era. Preds were 8th seed and worst record of any playoff team last year and made it to finals. A few years ago 8th seed LA Kings won cup. In 2010 8th place Flyers went to finals after beating us in SO on last day to make playoffs.

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Very nice game. Yes the Ducks are missing an entire top 6 line and looked like a jetlagged team on back to backs but the Rangers played well.

Henrik has rebounded nicely. I know it's early and I don't want to start going crazy with that V word but he deserves some consideration. If this team makes the playoffs and somehow can with the Division, he deserves Hart votes as well.

I was a Carey doubter, figured he was the typical AAAA player but he's becoming better and better and fun to watch. An underrated part of the new NHL is finding guys labelled as "Career AHLers" who can find a niche and contribute to the big club. Like ELCs, cheap short term contracts are the name of the game. The Rangers have done pretty well the last 7-8 years with these type of players whether it was Parenteau, Prust, Mitchell, Stralman, and it looks like Carey will soon be on that list.

Deharnais has done a nice job here. Trade deadline is going to be interesting. What can they get for these productive guys. If someone offers a second for Deharnais who makes nothing and is a UFA, you have to consider it.

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
How often does this happen though? The Senators were the only bad team in recent memory to make a run like that.
I don't think it's that rare (could be wrong?), but it's definitely uncommon. Regardless, they always turn back into a pumpkin sooner or later.

We put the results in the topic again now?
Makes more sense to me that way, but I'd forgotten about spoiling it for people. Will discontinue. Although to be honest I'm not sure why you'd be browsing the boarding if you don't want to know the result lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: will1066

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Some people around here dont like the guy. The fact that they are fuming now that Hank is back to his old self is making me all warm and fuzzy inside.
This makes no sense. Nobody dislikes the guy and wants him to play bad. Some people can be overly critical, expect too much and blame him too much. That doesn't mean they're upset when he's playing well. They're just as, if not happier than anyone else that our most important player is playing well...

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
This makes no sense. Nobody dislikes the guy and wants him to play bad. Some people can be overly critical, expect too much and blame him too much. That doesn't mean they're upset when he's playing well. They're just as, if not happier than anyone else that our most important player is playing well...

There are posters on this board with genuine dislike towards Lundqvist.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
It's Both! [summarizing a few previous posts]

1. Playoffs are still the equalizer. I still believe with extreme confidence that over long term, the winner of the Stanley Cup is the best team, and that there are way less Cinderella runs than the headlines let you believe.

2. The regular standings in the NHL are made intentionally deceiving. Also, the change in opponent frequency for rivalry focus also skews standings. I remember when I was a kid, the standings in the paper showed the massive separation among the team. It was easy to see which teams were almost mathematically dead by New Year's Day. The "loser point era" is intended to keep the points closer. So unlike the old days, having plans for going deep when you aren't in the top 4/16 is no longer lunacy depending on which team you are.

Example: The dominant LA Kings teams neither simply hit their stride nor just got hot/puck luck. Those teams were designed to be as impactful as possible in the second season regardless whether it would help in the success in the regular season that led up to that specific run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Off Sides

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
How did Carey not get the first star? He had the game of his life, will never ever come close to scoring 2 goals in a single NHL game? Give the kid the first star! (I feel old referring to Paul Carey as a kid)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Some people around here dont like the guy. The fact that they are fuming now that Hank is back to his old self is making me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I think most people are happy he is back to his old self. The problem is that some, you for instance, can't accept criticism when he is playing poorly. And earlier in the season he was. Now he is significantly better and making great saves. Something I expect him to do considering his status.

Elevate

May 30, 2014
Carey getting rewarded after playing well for a while, good for him. Didn't think much of him off the bat, but he's been instrumental to the success of the 4th line.

Awarded a star to the captain as well, great performance tonight imo.

Reactions: egelband

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Makes more sense to me that way, but I'd forgotten about spoiling it for people. Will discontinue. Although to be honest I'm not sure why you'd be browsing the boarding if you don't want to know the result lol.

Also if a PGT has just three pages seven hours after the game, you already know it was a win.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Third best goal differential in the conference. Go figure.

That is a very understated point.

Bad start and all, and it's not like we have this juggernaut offence that is the cause.

I'm starting to think that while we may. It add at the deadline, if we continue to play this well and get the results we have been getting, no one is getting traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad