Post-Game Talk: Rangers vs. Canes | 3/18/13 | Who needs goals?

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
If you look at the chance we got tonight, I don't think it's necessarily the lack of offense. Instead, it's the lack of scoring and putting the pucks away. Of course, results is what matters in the end and we're not getting results so it's fair to say we are not generating enough offense in that sense but when you look at our chances... Gaborik breakaway + PS in WPG among others. Nash Breakaway + Richards's mini 2 on 1 and the chances where Nash passed up the puck and the chances that Gabby had but couldn't put away. Any one of those from last night goes in, the game is over 2-1 in regulation. We have to break the opposition goaltender. We can't let them play their game. Back ups play like superstars because we're not getting net front presence and we're not making them guess. Even simple simple things like tapping sticks on the ice and circling instead of standing still makes goaltenders have to focus on more things. we don't carry that offensive mentality and therefore all the intangibles don't happen and goaltenders have a way easier job.

eh, I think the major issues with the system are two essential things:

1)Lack of a cohesive and flexible breakout system. This problem is the main issue. It keeps us pinned in our own end for lengthy periods of time. What should be a couple quick short passes to get the play up ice, usually turns into slapping pucks around the zone irresponsibly. Its not even a player problem at this point, its a coaching one. This also kills any ability to create offense on the rush...

2)Another main issue is our offensive set ups. Currently configured, the Rangers spend awful lot of time cycling below the hash marks along the boards. The strategy that Torts implements is trying to wear down enemy defenders through physically overpowering/dominating along the boards. But it can also have the problem of being reflective onto the forecheckers. It can wear them out just as bad. Not to mention, since the Rangers are constantly trying to wear down defenders by having extra support along the wall:

They never get any bodies in the slot for shots. So, a forward usually only has two options:

a)A bad angle shot

b)Passing to the point for a shooting option, which can be dicey at times. Especially when our forwards have been working extremely hard down low and hastily pass back to the point for relief. I can't even mention on how bad our point shooters are at times(Dan G). But that is a whole other issue..

I mean we had like 30+ shots last game and maybe only a handful were legit scoring chances...

Many of those legit chances came in OT anyways...

I think our system is too rigid and not flexible. Our entire system is CONSTANTLY winning battles along the boards. Well guess what? What happens when the other team stays away from the wall? That they move the puck quickly without engaging us along the boards? We have very little response.

or

What happens when we just aren't winning boards battles? Well, I guess our entire offensive attack is nullified.

Its unsustainable people. If the Rangers are going to win a stanley cup(obviously this isn't our year):

Torts is going to have to make some significant tweaks to our system. If he doesn't, we will never get to the SCF. Let alone winning the damn thing...

Last edited:

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Solid game. Rangers just have no finish, they could have scored 5 goals if they hit the net.

If they play like they did in the last 45 minutes, I'm confident they'll beat the Debbies.

3 stars:

1. MDZ
2. Henke
3. Stepan

HM: Miller, Eminger, Hags, Callahan, Gaborik, Richards

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I might get bombarded for saying this, but Miller honestly reminds me a little of Johnny Malkin - in a good way. Better hands, though, and hopefully as he gets older, better finish. I have high hopes for the kid, I think he's going to be a solid producer in 2-3 years.

They have the same initials, too! Oh, god! :sarcasm:

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
I might get bombarded for saying this, but Miller honestly reminds me a little of Johnny Malkin - in a good way. Better hands, though, and hopefully as he gets older, better finish. I have high hopes for the kid, I think he's going to be a solid producer in 2-3 years.

I think when he gets comfortable, Miller is going to be very similar to Jordan Staal..

Last edited:

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day

Sorry man, Miller has nowhere near the offensive awareness of Johnny Mitchell, or the hands.
Mitchell has very good stickhanding in close and likes to hang onto the puck for an extra second or two while waiting for reinforcements in the offensive zone.

J.T Miller likes to try crazy stunts that usually fail 75% of the time and result in turnovers. His shootout goal last night is not scored on goalies in the top 10 of the NHL, and he has very little awareness. He will not be a cerebral player under this coach. While he has potential....maybe 20/30, He needs to improve in alot of areas, he is faster than Mitchell, but nowhere close to as dangerous in the O zone, and alot more dangerous in the defensive and neutral zone ( especially, which is scary).

If he's lucky, he finishes with give or take 8-12 points this year

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Hes 20 years old, and you want to give him the extra responsibility of being a 3rd line checking center. Smart.

Not to mention Miller himself said he feels more comfortable on the wing.

Yep, he looks way better offensively as a center than he does as a wing. If you put him with Cally, he could help with some of the defensive lapses. It certainly beats having Boyle as our third line center.

Also, I'm not a big fan of turning players outside of their natural position. I don't want to go down the Dubinsky, Anismov road again..

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Sorry man, Miller has nowhere near the offensive awareness of Johnny Mitchell, or the hands.
Mitchell has very good stickhanding in close and likes to hang onto the puck for an extra second or two while waiting for reinforcements in the offensive zone.

J.T Miller likes to try crazy stunts that usually fail 75% of the time and result in turnovers. His shootout goal last night is not scored on goalies in the top 10 of the NHL, and he has very little awareness. He will not be a cerebral player under this coach. While he has potential....maybe 20/30, He needs to improve in alot of areas, he is faster than Mitchell, but nowhere close to as dangerous in the O zone, and alot more dangerous in the defensive and neutral zone ( especially, which is scary).

If he's lucky, he finishes with give or take 8-12 points this year

"Reminds me a little of..." not "JT Miller IS Mitchell."

Also, Miller is a rookie. He'll learn and settle down with time. IMO, he's not nearly the catastrophe your post makes him out to be.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Johnny Malkin wasn't overly good at anything, especially not shooting or playmaking, and, he wasn't the most effective skater nor very mobile. He was slick, hard to get a hold of, and I liked his attitude of going for it.

Miller moves alot better and will definitely be above avg skater down the road.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The effort was much better last night, but still the scoring is a big concern.

They could have had a few more but is it these goalies who are getting hot making all of these big saves or is it the inability to finish that is the problem in these types of games? It seems like its happened at least 5 times this year where the Rangers have been shot down by a goalie.

Few things:

• Nash - hit the net bro!
• DZ - Nice job, he needs to continue that play as it opens up lanes all over the ice offensively.
• Stepan - another finish
• Hagelin - best player on the ice last night IMO. If Gabby skated like him he would have 15 goals right now.

• Gaborik - better effort, but is going to have a really tough time breaking the bad habits hes got himself accustomed to. He actually engaged in some physical play though, wow.

• Defensively, in zone, this team is having big time issues. Maybe the worst they've been off in a few seasons. Specifically the forwards. They are running ALL OVER THE RINK. They need to settle down and let the play come to them as a unit, because the over commitments on the ice is leading to a domino effect and breakdowns consistently. Im actually a little shocked Sullivan hasnt keyed in on this and fixed this by now. You would have to think at the NHL level this is a basic and easy thing to remedy. Of course losing Staal hurts, but thats not what this is about.

• Will someone start a fight at a good time one of these games? Ive never been a big supporter of spending ice-time on one-dimensional guys, but can a guy like Haley or Eminger or someone go at it to get some life into this team? Especially if they arent going to score...

• The spacing and support in the offensive zone, especially from that top line (Gabby and Richards) is absolute gaaaarbaaaaaage. They show up late if they show up at all and its one rush and done 80% of the time. Someone needs to wake these guys up, what the **** is happening Richards??? He's an absolute mess. If you told me he would be half this bad I wouldn't have wanted him here. Him and Gabby are killing us. You can literally feel the Drury-itis setting in.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York

Yes, absolutely.

Except Miller gives the puck away randomly, instead of because he's trying to do some crazy dekes.

NYRANGERAMI*

wasn't the most pivotal point in the season a couple games ago against winnipeg when both of us were tied for 8th place at 28 points with us with a game in hand....ya know after that abysmal loss to a horrible buffalo team where we should have won?...weren't we kinda cornered then in that situation? I forgot...how did that game go against Winnipeg?.....right.....

I never said that game was a pivotal game. Perhaps others said that, but they were wrong. Tonight is the pivotal game. And as the game goes tonight, so will the rest of the Rangers season. However the Rangers will win tonight and have no fear as i will be here to jump for joy for every Ranger goal as we cruise to a 5-2 victory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad