Post-Game Talk: Rangers vs. Blue Jackets (11/6/17): Mika Hath Arrived

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah it's overblown. He's no worse than Staal or Girardi were last year. He's no worse than McDonagh AND Skjei have been at times this year and those are guys that are supposed to be defensive stalwarts. I'd say the whole defense has looked poor defensively to the start of the season. I'm willing to give him more time to tighten up and adjust than ~15 games in a new (awful) defensive system.
Stall and Girardi were absolutely awful last year. That cannot be the barometer. McD and Skej are better defensively and will continue to be so. No one is saying to run him out of town and yes AV's system is poor. But he has now played the same way for 3 different teams.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Idk.

Me thinks people are being a little too ea sports its in the game® rigid in regard to whether a player is in the bottom of the top 6 or middle of the top 9.

Overall, I tend to agree.

It's really about roles and deployment than it is about lines.

With that said, having that high end offensive driver is still very important - even in a league where offense is spread out.

That's where a player like Zibanejad becomes critical. Nothing against the other guys we named, but Zibanejad's ceiling and potential impact can make a big difference in how everyone else is deployed.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
brady skjei is a straight up stud. he isnt perfect but imo, he's easliy our best overall defender. he's got size, natural hockey sense, smooth effortless skating and untapped offense. he's the kind of kid your build around.

Reactions: will1066

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I'm going to say it. Kampfer was fine.

he is legit average at best. you can tell when a player is feeling the heat. they fight when they arent fighters. see, matt pumper. he knew his days were numbered.

i see nothing redeeming about kamfer whatsoever. nothing. he's filler. nothing more. but, being AV's shiny toy to teach some other more talented player a lesson..... yeah, thats why he has kamfer.

RIP smitty.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

With that said, having that high end offensive driver is still very important - even in a league where offense is spread out.

That's where a player like Zibanejad becomes critical. Nothing against the other guys we named, but Zibanejad's ceiling and potential impact can make a big difference in how everyone else is deployed.

The other part of your equation for Ranger success this season is also having an impact. Buchnevich looks like he’s on his way to fulfilling his first line potential. Not only was the Zibanejad pass a thing of beauty, but Buch’s finish was superb.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Nice to see Buch finish his chance on the GWG with ooomph, without wasting a second. Those are the chances that the leagues top goal scorers never miss on. Too often we've seen slight hesitations to ensure puck control and that's all the top eschelon goalies need, or shot wide, shanked, or back into the goalie in the haste to get it off quickly. It's a more difficult play to finish right off the pass than it looks and credit to Zbad to get it right into his wheelhouse.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

and dat right-handed onetimer

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The other part of your equation for Ranger success this season is also having an impact. Buchnevich looks like he’s on his way to fulfilling his first line potential. Not only was the Zibanejad pass a thing of beauty, but Buch’s finish was superb.

This was a big season for him.

I know there was a lot of chatter on here about how the first year was going to be more of a transition year for him, but it was year two that was going to give a good induction of his long-term trajectory. So far, the early returns are very positive.

Reactions: nyr__1994

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
he is legit average at best. you can tell when a player is feeling the heat. they fight when they arent fighters. see, matt pumper. he knew his days were numbered.

i see nothing redeeming about kamfer whatsoever. nothing. he's filler. nothing more. but, being AV's shiny toy to teach some other more talented player a lesson..... yeah, thats why he has kamfer.

RIP smitty.

He is doing the things a 3rd pair dman is doing: not be a disaster in his own zone, make the high-percentage play most of the time, contribute in different areas where he can like drawing the crucial penalty against Dalpe. People who rain on him maybe want him to be the second coming or just dislike him because he is taking up the roster spot of the player on the Pack that they like. No one mentions the two-on-one rush he broke up in the Lightning game with the score tied. Maybe he is legit average at best, but I'd rather see him play right now than an accident-prone Smith.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
and dat right-handed onetimer

Zibanejad, when he's at or near his best, is a skill player with a power forward's size and strength. Again, an incredibly dangerous combination when used in tandem.

Expectations for him are high, and they should be. From a pure talent standpoint, he's arguably near or at the top of the centers this team has had in the last 12-17 years or so. Now it's time to get the results that talent dictates.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Seems you turned it around lately, entertaining team to watch! Mika Z looks like a beast, and his lack of consistent performances seems gone! Last 30 games 11 g 18 ass 29 points, impressing! His Fo stats are 52.3 % so far, 52 % last full season is great when you also consider that hes up against the opponents best.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

I agree. It’s hard to win as pure committees. You still need some front loading.

What I meant was Miller is scoring well where he is, but people were getting all antsy that he was the 6th forward in the top 9 instead of the 6th forward in “the top 6”. Right now the Rangers are a top nine interchangeable imho

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Nice to see Buch finish his chance on the GWG with ooomph, without wasting a second. Those are the chances that the leagues top goal scorers never miss on. Too often we've seen slight hesitations to ensure puck control and that's all the top eschelon goalies need, or shot wide, shanked, or back into the goalie in the haste to get it off quickly. It's a more difficult play to finish right off the pass than it looks and credit to Zbad to get it right into his wheelhouse.
That was one hell of a pass.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
My point was not so much about the Norris, but you are seeing the positive and negative of Shattenkirk. Both the Blues and the Caps shielded him for a reason. There was a reason as to why those teams did not have him on the ice when the opposition's top players were on the ice. For all that he does in the other team's zone, it looses it's luster when you see the disaster that he is in his own zone. At least to me.

Yeah he’s not winning the Norris.

I am just happy he’s doing what his advertisement said.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Stall and Girardi were absolutely awful last year. That cannot be the barometer. McD and Skej are better defensively and will continue to be so. No one is saying to run him out of town and yes AV's system is poor. But he has now played the same way for 3 different teams.

Exactly. The barometer is set at sea level, not the mid Atlantic trench.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I guess it is whatever you want to see is what you see in Vesey. To me he is a player who has. created offensive chances this year. He's been physical, he forechecked and backchecked. Yeah, he is been inconsistent and not yet to make correct reads Fast enough but he's just at the start of his sophomore year.

Look around at bottom 6 around the league, and specifically how first and send year players are performing to make you comparisons. Again, I think a lot of the negative views came from a "resistance" to the way AV managed Buchnevich.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I remember a flat 2nd - so we won, but not because we played a complete game - far from it, because of AV. :)

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I guess it is whatever you want to see is what you see in Vesey. To me he is a player who has. created offensive chances this year. He's been physical, he forechecked and backchecked. Yeah, he is been inconsistent and not yet to make correct reads Fast enough but he's just at the start of his sophomore year.

Look around at bottom 6 around the league, and specifically how first and send year players are performing to make you comparisons. Again, I think a lot of the negative views came from a "resistance" to the way AV managed Buchnevich.

:help:omg:help: he's been here 6 months now

snore...

need new shiny toys papa Gorton:thumbu:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I remember a flat 2nd - so we won, but not because we played a complete game - far from it, because of AV. :)

You've have thrown a monkey wrench at the HF Boards sky is falling bot posters.

If AV makes decision ---> Wrong decision

∧ I am always correct

∴ If correct decision --> Could not have been made by AV

______

AV's decision was correct

...Reboot...

Initiating blame Vesey.exe

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
I'm using all of the defensemen this year as a barometer. And no, he has not played the same way for 3 different teams. He was a better shot suppressor last season than McDonagh and Brady Skjei. He's still a better shot suppressor than McDonagh but that's not as visible as when he has occasional gaffs.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I'm using all of the defensemen this year as a barometer. And no, he has not played the same way for 3 different teams. He was a better shot suppressor last season than McDonagh and Brady Skjei. He's still a better shot suppressor than McDonagh but that's not as visible as when he has occasional gaffs.

What is a shot suppressor? [don't define the term with it's name; ex. he suppresses shots]

The general consensus is Shatty makes his money being an excellent 4th forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad