Post-Game Talk: Rangers vs. Blue Jackets (11/6/17): Mika Hath Arrived

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, if it goes to a pure offensive D it'll always be Karlsson. I think Shatt could hit 60 points but he won't keep pace with EK.

Edit- guess Karlsson is struggling with injuries again.
My point was not so much about the Norris, but you are seeing the positive and negative of Shattenkirk. Both the Blues and the Caps shielded him for a reason. There was a reason as to why those teams did not have him on the ice when the opposition's top players were on the ice. For all that he does in the other team's zone, it looses it's luster when you see the disaster that he is in his own zone. At least to me.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Yeah i was thinking that. 4th line would not be good. Vesey just can't produce. What's going on with Vesey is not the same as Nash. At least Nash has the effort and looks good and plays a solid two way game, Vesey does not and just looks bad out there.

Vesey just isnt a NHL player. Probably never wouldve played last year if he wasn't "free agent prize Jimmy Vesey"

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Issue is that was often the opposite last season and it looked like it was going to continue that trend this year, until AV put the KZB line back together..

I'm not complaining right now. I'm explaining the logic

The issue is to let go. Buch has been back on the first line for awhile now.

Last edited:

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
It’s weird.. we were arguably the worst team in the league for the first month of the season, and yet, I’ve never been more confident in this team’s ability to come back from a 2-3 goal deficit. We’ve shown it time and time again already this year.

If Hank gets back to form, and we figure out the defense, look out.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Mika is once again showing how good he can be when locked on. The key is consistently bringing that game throughout the season.

It's very easy to see what teams have always been attracted to with Zibanejad. He's big, he's strong, he moves like a smaller player, he can shoot, he can pass, and when he's pissed, people know he's out there.

The question has always been getting him to consistently bring those elements, or at least most of those elements. But make no mistake, Zibanejad has always had a TON of potential. I'd love to see him hit that 25-30 goal, 60-70 point level. He's more than talented enough to do that.

Which has always been my problem with him. At times, like last night and recently, he looks like a superstar. Far too often, he had looked like a floater. Hopefully, he's finally gotten it, and I can actually like him.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Vesey just isnt a NHL player. Probably never wouldve played last year if he wasn't "free agent prize Jimmy Vesey"

That's a little harsh. He's an NHL player, but he's not a top 6 forward. He's a low end third liner. Not fast enough or gritty enough for a fourth liner either.

A lot of his so-called production last year happened in early season games where he'd score a meaningless goal with 2 minutes left to make the score 6-2 instead of 5-2. Then he has 10 goals in 20 something games and everyone thinks, wow, what a steal. Never the case. Nothing more than a depth guy who can play a third line.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Which has always been my problem with him. At times, like last night and recently, he looks like a superstar. Far too often, he had looked like a floater. Hopefully, he's finally gotten it, and I can actually like him.

Consistency is a big part of the equation, but I think we also have to take into account that his a player who is developing power forward as well.

In many ways, Zibanejad is the lynch pin on offense. I said as much this offseason, but if he has indeed crossed the threshold into legit first line territory and is poised to take the next step in his development, then a lot of other things fall in line behind him moving forward - whether it's Chytil, Andersson, Hayes, keeping Miller at wing, etc.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Consistency is a big part of the equation, but I think we also have to take into account that his a player who is developing power forward as well.

In many ways, Zibanejad is the lynch pin on offense. I said as much this offseason, but if he has indeed crossed the threshold into legit first line territory and is poised to take the next step in his development, then a lot of other things fall in line behind him moving forward - whether it's Chytil, Andersson, Hayes, keeping Miller at wing, etc.

Idk.

Me thinks people are being a little too ea sports its in the game® rigid in regard to whether a player is in the bottom of the top 6 or middle of the top 9.

Last edited:

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
My point was not so much about the Norris, but you are seeing the positive and negative of Shattenkirk. Both the Blues and the Caps shielded him for a reason. There was a reason as to why those teams did not have him on the ice when the opposition's top players were on the ice. For all that he does in the other team's zone, it looses it's luster when you see the disaster that he is in his own zone. At least to me.
For me it absolutely doesn't. His offensive positives vastly outweigh his overblown defensive negatives. For one we've seen other new defensemen struggle at the beginning of playing in AV's awful defensive strat. I think he'll settle down in the d-zone eventually while his offense stays above average.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For me it absolutely doesn't. His offensive positives vastly outweigh his overblown defensive negatives. For one we've seen other new defensemen struggle at the beginning of playing in AV's awful defensive strat. I think he'll settle down in the d-zone eventually while his offense stays above average.
The thing is that he never did settle in in Washington as far as defense goes. And the Blues would not let him on the ice with the opposition's top opposing players were on the ice. Right now, you are singing his praises. But when he allows a big goal at a crucial time.......

Overblown defensive negatives? He has been poor defensively. Plain and simple.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
The thing is that he never did settle in in Washington as far as defense goes. And the Blues would not let him on the ice with the opposition's top opposing players were on the ice. Right now, you are singing his praises. But when he allows a big goal at a crucial time.......

Overblown defensive negatives? He has been poor defensively. Plain and simple.
Yeah it's overblown. He's no worse than Staal or Girardi were last year. He's no worse than McDonagh AND Skjei have been at times this year and those are guys that are supposed to be defensive stalwarts. I'd say the whole defense has looked poor defensively to the start of the season. I'm willing to give him more time to tighten up and adjust than ~15 games in a new (awful) defensive system.

Reactions: jas and TheTakedown

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006

Disagree as well. If you expected him to be a top 6 player, you were disappointed, but he's an NHL player. Not a great one, but he's not a total scrub.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yeah it's overblown. He's no worse than Staal or Girardi were last year. He's no worse than McDonagh AND Skjei have been at times this year and those are guys that are supposed to be defensive stalwarts. I'd say the whole defense has looked poor defensively to the start of the season. I'm willing to give him more time to tighten up and adjust than ~15 games in a new (awful) defensive system.
he gets roasted by speedy wingers..hes much better against more methodical teams..but everything he gives up defensively he makes up for offensively..hes a beast.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Vesey played 8 mins last night on the 4th line and Buch played 18. Not sure what the issue is.

Why do you think the Rangers are on a 4 game winning streak. Do you think it can have something to do with the fact that AV finally iced the obvious lines instead of burying Buch on the 4th line while Vesey could roam around doing jack shit for 12 games?

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
What is Vesey good at?
That is a legitimate question. Someone tell me what you guy think hes good at. I dont see anything.

Easily one of the worst passers on the team.
Not fast
Not a big hitter
Not a good shot
Not a good skater
Not great defensively
Not good hockey IQ
Not a 120% effort guy
Doesn't fight
Doesn't create offense
Not a presence around the net(hes 6,3. he should impact here)

What does he bring to the team that Vinni Leterri or Any cheap UFA can't bring with better upside?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Simply not true.

What's the argument that he is? Has not produced offensively as a top 9 player this year or last, and most of that has been playing in the top 9 and some of it with PP time. He's bad defensively, so the fourth line isn't a great fit, and he's bad in puck battles, so even further reason why he's a bad fit for the fourth line. 13th forward to me.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
suddenly this team looks as good as they looked bad just a week ago. bipolar team for sure

the difference is better tighter defensive play and faster pace of doing stuff. they have been pretty effective limiting the lethal scoring chances against.

and the pp is clicking.

and henrik seems to have found his mojo.

its all that chicken and egg thing

Reactions: YearOfTheCat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad