3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I feel every line needs that power forward physical guy who crashes the net and is hitting on the boards. CK does that very well. I think the 3 compliment each other. Thing is CK is pretty damn good at scoring goals also.
For as well as he does those things. He kills about 4-5 plays a game in the neutral zone because he can't handle the puck

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
An observation I had last night.

We all know Shattenkirk isn't the most fleet of foot, however he is a very smart skater. There was a play in particular where he was getting hounded behind our net and decided to carry the puck out. He took a sharp turn around the net at his lower speed forcing his pursuer to slow down to try and make the same turn, allowing Shatty to create some separation, and make a breakout pass. Players like Skjei can just out run these guys, but Shatty knows exactly where he stands and adjusts accordingly. It was a really heady play.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
An observation I had last night.

We all know Shattenkirk isn't the most fleet of foot, however he is a very smart skater. There was a play in particular where he was getting hounded behind our net and decided to carry the puck out. He took a sharp turn around the net at his lower speed forcing his pursuer to slow down to try and make the same turn, allowing Shatty to create some separation, and make a breakout pass. Players like Skjei can just out run these guys, but Shatty knows exactly where he stands and adjusts accordingly. It was a really heady play.

Absolutely.

Some players use their heads to overcome physical drawbacks (the "whole package" -- like Hossa or Hedman -- is rare). Stepan and Richards come to mind. And, frankly, I favor those players when thinking long-term: players tend to reach their physical apogees around 29-31 years of age. Cerebral players can overcome the subsequent decline through their smarts. We're lucky to have one such player in Shattenkirk.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
You have to keep JT Miller at center ice with the way this team is constructed. Desharnais is not an everyday player at this point. He’s about done. Is J.T. better on wing? Maybe although I’m not so sure I agree, but considering our options he needs to be centering the 2nd line.

I still believe Vesey is useful and could do some good things with Nieves and say Lettieri they could be a solid 4th line if you want to run Hayes Grabner and Fast as more of a checking unit.

Lettieri is playing very well he’s a spark plug righty shooter. I’d like to bring him in soon

The way Miller is carrying the puck through the neutral zone right now definitely makes me think he should be sticking at center for the time being.

He's the total package when he's on his game. His assist was obviously the highlight last night, but I loved how much confidence he had charging into the offensive zone.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Regarding Shattenkirk... I don't care what the guy does at this point. 15 points in 16 games is just absolutely nuts. I know he is unlikely to sustain it, but that is 77 points over a full season. I think there is a realistic shot he gets 60+ points this year. :amazed:
Offensively, I agree. However, his play in his own zone leaves a lot to be desired. For all the good he does to create offense, he cannot be trusted to defend.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If he keeps it up, he’s in Norris contention
Shouldn't the Norris, which goes to the best defenseman, go to a defenseman that is actually competent in his own zone? So far, to me, Shattenkirk has been as advertised. Very good in the other team's zone. Awful in his own and should be avoided when playing against the opposition's top line.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Shouldn't the Norris, which goes to the best defenseman, go to a defenseman that is actually competent in his own zone? So far, to me, Shattenkirk has been as advertised. Very good in the other team's zone. Awful in his own and should be avoided when playing against the opposition's top line.

Yeah, if it goes to a pure offensive D it'll always be Karlsson. I think Shatt could hit 60 points but he won't keep pace with EK.

Edit- guess Karlsson is struggling with injuries again.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
KZB is great, even though Buch didn't get going until the 3rd period. Happy AV didn't bench him (I'm sure I wasn't the only one who thought of this as a possibility in the 2nd intermission).

To me it is the return of Fast that really was a triggering event for the recent upswing. Miller proving he can handle center ice duties and Zuke on the 2nd line (instead of a first) is where our depth is. Nash is trying hard but I might try Fast-Miller-Zuke and Vesey-Hayes-Nash as our middle 6. Grabner-Boo-DD (or call up Letteri) to play on the 4th line.

BTW, Vesey didn't have a good game last night but he's been ok this season for a bottom 6er. I don't get all the hate toward him, actually spawning from AV's treatment of Buchnevich last season.

Last edited:

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
KZB is great, even though Buch didn't get going until the 3rd period. Happy AV didn't bench him (I'm sure I wasn't the only one who thought of this as a possibility in the 2nd intermission).

To me it is the return of Fast that really was a triggering even for the recent upswing. Miller proving he can handle center ice duties and Zuke on the 2nd line (instead of a first) is where our depth is. Nash is trying hard but I might try Fast-Miller-Zuke and Vesey-Hayes-Nash as our middle 6. Grabner-Boo-DD (or call up Letteri) to play on the 4th line.

BTW, Vesey didn't have a good game last night but he's been ok this season for a bottom 6er. I don't get all the hate toward him, actually spawning from AV's treatment of Buchnevich last season.

It's this. Vesey is not better than a fourth liner, but gets played with Hayes on the second line. Meanwhile Buch spends the year on the 4th line. And this year it started worse. Buch is someone a top line player or 4th liner in AVs eyes, no in between. Meanwhile Vesey seems to get the same minutes with Hayes no matter what he does on the ice.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Mika is once again showing how good he can be when locked on. The key is consistently bringing that game throughout the season.

It's very easy to see what teams have always been attracted to with Zibanejad. He's big, he's strong, he moves like a smaller player, he can shoot, he can pass, and when he's pissed, people know he's out there.

The question has always been getting him to consistently bring those elements, or at least most of those elements. But make no mistake, Zibanejad has always had a TON of potential. I'd love to see him hit that 25-30 goal, 60-70 point level. He's more than talented enough to do that.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Well we have erased our bad start. Right within striking distance of all the Metro teams although we have played more games than everyone. Still though we survived and didn't bury ourselves.. keep it up

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
It's this. Vesey is not better than a fourth liner, but gets played with Hayes on the second line. Meanwhile Buch spends the year on the 4th line. And this year it started worse. Buch is someone a top line player or 4th liner in AVs eyes, no in between. Meanwhile Vesey seems to get the same minutes with Hayes no matter what he does on the ice.

Vesey played 8 mins last night on the 4th line and Buch played 18. Not sure what the issue is.

Reactions: BobSantos and bl02

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
IMO there are three players who are really not pulling their weight overall right now...Nash, Vesey, and Desharnais. Vesey is the real big one but Nash is "jinxed" (basically can't score ever since that concussion years ago) and Desharnais just doesn't quite do it for me....

They could pick it up but right now they're really dragging things down and makes the depth look bad.

Other guys are playing well and carrying the load for now, but they need more out of those other parts.

Defensive zone still looks soft and sloppy as hell sometimes. That first goal, wow. And I guess the third goal, feels like someone should have picked up the goal scorer, Shattenkirk was left alone kind of there, a forward should be back trying to help out in front.
There will always be times in games where they face adversity. The key is how they handle it, bounce back from it. They've been responding well lately and I love it.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
After last night, maybe go with a Top 9 of....

Kreider - Mika - Buch
Zucc - Miller - Nash
Grabner - Hayes - Fast
Fourth line of
Vesey-Nieves-DD?
That'll be a dumpster fire...

If Vesey is kicked out of the top 9 by Grabner and Fast, send him down to the AHL. He's still on his ELC so we can. Let him play big minutes down there and if he proves he can be a top 9 player again call him up

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fourth line of
Vesey-Nieves-DD?
That'll be a dumpster fire...

If Vesey is kicked out of the top 9 by Grabner and Fast, send him down to the AHL. He's still on his ELC so we can. Let him play big minutes down there and if he proves he can be a top 9 player again call him up

Yeah i was thinking that. 4th line would not be good. Vesey just can't produce. What's going on with Vesey is not the same as Nash. At least Nash has the effort and looks good and plays a solid two way game, Vesey does not and just looks bad out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad