Confirmed with Link: Rangers trade Ethan Werek to Phoenix for Oscar Lindberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
That's not the only option. He could have been used as part of a package for an NHLer. He could have been used to move up in the draft. There are plenty of creative ways he could have been used.

Trading him for a lower pick than he was is not good asset management.

by that theory you would have to argue that hypothetically trading high jessiman for getzlaf 4 years ago would have been poor asset management......

no one truly knows what will happen with these young kids. its best guess and not a certainty.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
That's not the only option. He could have been used as part of a package for an NHLer. He could have been used to move up in the draft. There are plenty of creative ways he could have been used.

why do people always assume there was a trade available when they use this line of defense? At this point, Sanguinetti for Fasth and a 2nd is looking like a favorable deal.

TrollololBoyle

Mar 22, 2010
Danbury, CT
Why are people still blaming the Rangers for taking Sanguinetti. First of all, other GMs wanted him, so it's not like the Rangers were the only one. Second of all, nobody knew Giroux would turn out the way he did. The pick was fine, the result was not... so what? Hindsight is 20/20 you can't judge on hindsight... and it's not like you know-it-alls knew Grioux would be a good player either...

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York

Not good asset management? We got Jesper Fasth and a second rounder. Jesper Fasth was good enough to be on the Swedish National Team before his injury. Sangs is a bust.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
We'll see what kind of player Fasth turns into. At this point, seems most likely that if we have a legit shutdown line in the future it would be Boyle and Prust with a replacement for Fedotenko. Hagelin? Maybe in a few years it could be Lindberg with Boyle sliding over to wing? If any of these possibilities come to bear fruit I'd say we could end up with a pretty good shutdown group. And if that's the case, good luck to other teams' top lines fighting through this:

??? - Boyle - Prust
Staal - Girardi
Lundqvist
:yo:

Yes I have to agree, 6'7 250 LBS Boyle down the middle with two wrecking balls like Prust and Avery to go with a pairing of Staal and quite possibly the undertaker in young 6'4 Mac would be one menacing, angry, huge shutdown unit lead by the best super pest in the NHL these last few years. Avery would totally have teams thrown off sort of like Atlanta faced the rangers a few years back. Avery had Kovalchuk trying to rip his head off forgetting he was being paid to score goals. If I ever saw and elite shut down unit on paper that would be one.

Heck, with Girardi they already are hell to play against. personally I thought Prust and Avery were great in the Caps series as their best forwards and Staal and Girardi were very good themselves. Unfortunately the ranger elite players like Hank and Gabby IMO underperformed against a overated and very very vunerable Caps team. The caps needed to feel some playoff pressure and they would of folded IMO

Then seeing the Caps vrs the lightning in round 2: Roloson, IMO flat out was the best player the entire series and carried an average NHL team past the caps. Roloson has done this before with worse players and worse teams. I cant imagine how good he would be behind that 5 man wall discussed in the begining.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
SANGUINETTI WAS NOT A MISTAKE PICK. SEVERAL TEAMS WANTED HIM, SO DON'T ACT LIKE THE RANGERS MADE THE WRONG MOVE BY SELECTING HIM. It's called asset management, Sanguinetti's stock was low, and instead of losing out, they tried to get whatever they could to make up for his value.

WEREK WAS NOT A MISTAKE EITHER.

:nopity:

I love this trade

Sanguinetti was a mistake pick, he's a bust....I don't understand what you're trying to communicate here, the fact of the matter is, no matter what other teams thought, the Rangers picked him and it was a wasted pick. :laugh:

They did get good return for him though, and the same for Werek. Although some fans might not see it that way, Werek was absolutely, positively 100% a mistake pick lol. Any 2nd round player that is 2 years removed from his draft that won't be signed is a mistake according to management, and that's all that matters.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Yes I have to agree, 6'7 250 LBS Boyle down the middle with two wrecking balls like Prust and Avery to go with a pairing of Staal and quite possibly the undertaker in young 6'4 Mac would be one menacing, angry, huge shutdown unit lead by the best super pest in the NHL these last few years. Avery would totally have teams thrown off sort of like Atlanta faced the rangers a few years back. Avery had Kovalchuk trying to rip his head off forgetting he was being paid to score goals. If I ever saw and elite shut down unit on paper that would be one.

It'd be great if Avery would return to that form, but for whatever reason (Torts, his own issues/distractions, increased ref scrutiny, etc.) he's gotten away from it lately.

Heck, with Girardi they already are hell to play against. personally I thought Prust and Avery were great in the Caps series as their best forwards and Staal and Girardi were very good themselves. Unfortunately the ranger elite players like Hank and Gabby IMO underperformed against a overated and very very vunerable Caps team. The caps needed to feel some playoff pressure and they would of folded IMO

I'm with you on Gaborik, obviously, but I have to disagree on Henrik. Did he play well enough to steal the series? No. But in 3/5 games he only gave up 2 goals. He kept them alive for a long time in a double OT game, and in game 5 he got beaten once each by 3 of the world's best offensive players, while our ragtag bunch of scrubs put no offensive pressure on Washington. Henrik didn't "underperform" in my book.

Then seeing the Caps vrs the lightning in round 2: Roloson, IMO flat out was the best player the entire series and carried an average NHL team past the caps. Roloson has done this before with worse players and worse teams. I cant imagine how good he would be behind that 5 man wall discussed in the begining.

Are you really suggesting that you'd rather have Roloson than Lundqvist? If Henrik was on a team that could sustain any offensive pressure and didn't give up glorious scoring opportunity after glorious scoring opportunity, not to mention deflections and screens, this whole situation would look a lot different.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Why are people still blaming the Rangers for taking Sanguinetti. First of all, other GMs wanted him, so it's not like the Rangers were the only one. Second of all, nobody knew Giroux would turn out the way he did. The pick was fine, the result was not... so what? Hindsight is 20/20 you can't judge on hindsight... and it's not like you know-it-alls knew Grioux would be a good player either...

Well, other teams may have wanted him, but WE were the ones that drafted him. On its own, no big deal. It becomes a big deal when it's part of a trend. I'm sure other teams wanted Al Montoya and Hugh Jessiman as well. But we were the team that picked him, and it's part of the continued trend of failed first round picks.

Every team will encounter first round busts from time to time. It just happens. But when almost all of your first round picks prove to be disappointments, it's hard to not be critical.

You're right, no one "knew" Giroux would become the better player. No one can know for certain. But many suspected it. A lot of people preferred Giroux at the time.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

It's still a bad pick. I don't care if other teams wanted him. Other teams probably wanted Jessiman too, and are you going to use that as an excuse for picking him?

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
You're right, no one "knew" Giroux would become the better player. No one can know for certain. But many suspected it. A lot of people preferred Giroux at the time.

Flyers were reportedly ready to draft Sanguinetti. My how that worked out for them.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's still a bad pick. I don't care if other teams wanted him. Other teams probably wanted Jessiman too, and are you going to use that as an excuse for picking him?

Exactly. Someone else would have drafted all of our failed first round picks, but who cares? WE took them, and they failed for US. It happens every friggin' draft, and is a problem.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Flyers were reportedly ready to draft Sanguinetti. My how that worked out for them.

Yup. I'm sure other GMs breathe a sigh of relief when we draft the player they wanted in round one. It's a signal to them that they were about to draft a bust. :laugh:

"Well, I guess we dodged a bullet there!"

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Yup. I'm sure other GMs breathe a sigh of relief when we draft the player they wanted in round one. It's a signal to them that they were about to draft a bust. :laugh:

"Well, I guess we dodged a bullet there!"

I can see an interesting Draft Day strategy:

"Pick the players the Rangers are least likely to want now, and most likely to want when they're 30+ and suck."

Blue Line Monster

Apr 4, 2010

That average NHL team scored 16 goals in 4 games. The mighty Rangers scored 8 goals in 5 games. Yeah, if only he could play for a team like the Rangers.. :sarcasm:

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Hank let in one goal in regulation in our first loss.

The second loss we got shutout, again on our offense.

We won game 3 because our offense showed up.

fourth game was ANOTHER OT game and the only game that can be used against Hank.

Game 5 was just meh. Remember, it was essentially a shutout before W2's fluke goal. Hank let in three, but only 2 in the first two periods. Maybe if the offense does something momentum shifts. Who knows. Either way, i don't know why we're talking about Hank.

xxxZENxxx

Jul 16, 2009

So does everyone realize that John Carlson was taken one pick after Del Zotto? Just adding to the unhappiness. :p:

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
And we know that Carlson will have a better NHL career than MDZ how?

I never said whether or not it was a bad pick, I was just stating my personal preference. The jury isn't out on it yet, though - not by a longshot.

So, in short, we don't. But I think he will. Just my opinion. There's just as much of a chance that I'm wrong as there is that I am right.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

If you don't judge on hindsight, how would you judge? If the team drafts players that seem like homeruns at the time and they turn out to be busts, shouldn't they be accountable for that? They get paid to win. If the moves they make don't result in wins, they get replaced. It's really that simply. Well, that simple everywhere but in New York.

There are no excuses. I'm not going to feel bad for management because Cherry died, or Blackburn got hurt, or whatever. The only thing that matters is the results. We can sit here and argue all day about what they should have or shouldn't have done, but in the end, it's about wins. If management fails to build a winning team, replace them with people who can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad