Confirmed with Link: Rangers to sign Austin Rueschhoff (F) from WMU to 2-year ELC

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
First thought was imagine this kid and Edstrom on the 4th line in 2-3 years. Big boys Lol.

But chances are slim that one or even both make it.
You’re right, for sure. But, my caveat is that development is a real wildcard. The Rangers seem to be improving at it. (Super early days, of course but at least it seems to be a priority).
We really haven’t seen a Rangers organization that can “mold” a “project” player into a useful pro. Hopefully this is the kind of raw talent the organization can grow.

Reactions: eco's bones

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah we've sucked at developing our own cheap bottom six. Hopefully we're turning that around. Jesper Fast, Dale Weise, who else?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Moore and Ortmeyer.

Half credit for Moore. Developed into an NHLer with us, developed into a pretty good NHLer elsewhere, then came back. Brian Boyle sorta the opposite, though he hadn’t quite established himself as an NHLer when he got here. Full credit for one player combining Boyle and Moore.

Reactions: Crease and RGY

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
To be fair, the Rangers have been in win-now mode for some time. I bet we’ll see lots of ex Rangers popping up around the league for the next ten years or whatever.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
tenor.gif

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
It is impressive. But if he can't move, it's pretty worthless.....
True. It’s concerning that at that size he went undrafted. Even though the days of drafting by size are over, I’m surprised that not a single team chose him even in the 7th round. Maybe he had a growth spurt later on or maybe he just developed really well (relatively speaking).

Reactions: egelband

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Looking at the kid's stats, we shouldn't be expecting major offensive production, regardless of the highlights.

Nice to have a 4th line prospect who has some skill, however.
I agree we shouldn’t expect much offense, but I would think highlights and tape are a bit more important than stats when evaluating NCAA prospects, especially with varying levels of talent level among conferences and teams. But yea it sucks that the only things that are readily available are basic stats and a few highlights.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Rueschhoff had 27 points in 51 games in the USHL at age 18. That doesn't get you drafted even with size. Even his NAHL production at 17 wasn't great. He seems to be a late bloomer.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Rueschhoff had 27 points in 51 games in the USHL at age 18. That doesn't get you drafted even with size. Even his NAHL production at 17 wasn't great. He seems to be a late bloomer.
Bloom enough to be a 4th liner that isnt useless out there, can have an impactful shift by just providing a good forecheck and banging bodies, and not being a defensive liability. That would be ideal. We need that in the worst way.

How is his skating? If he can keep up then we gor a solid cheap 4th liner. Eventually Gauthier moves up to overtake DiGi in the coming years. Then you have Lemmy and Rueschhoff out there.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Is this guy consider a prospect or a project? ECHL or AHL depth? Or does he have NHL upside? Another Dawson Leedahl??

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Is this guy consider a prospect or a project? ECHL or AHL depth? Or does he have NHL upside? Another Dawson Leedahl??
Not a ton written about him. Seems from the little that's out there like he has a chance. He has size and uses it, and seems to have some hands. I guess the big thing is whether he can skate at an NHL level, which we don't really know yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad